MobiColour RESULT: MC #225 Theme: Nostalgia - July 6-19, 2020

À la recherche des bois perdu

23DDA847-6630-4BFC-8780-E84DB91D5B29.jpeg

Nick is busy, so won’t be able to judge until tomorrow. Meanwhile, I’ll open the next MC challenge.

Last edited:
Nostalgia - according to my trusty (and concise) Chambers 20th Century Dictionary, nostalgia is a ‘sentimental longing for past times’. So looking at this Challenge’s crop of photos I see plenty that speak of times past but I am unsure to what extent some of them, at least in my case, actually produce that ‘sentimental longing’ I had in mind when I set the challenge.

However from my personal viewpoint two strike a chord immediately: so in first place we have sinnerjohn ’s steam locomotive - I recall these glorious machines still in operation when I was a child. In second we have Mike in VT ’s flag, for no other reason than the fact that I just love this picture. In third we have that man sinnerjohn yet again for his marvellous orange Ford Cortina Mk3 - when I was a student (in the dim and distant past) these were just about everywhere and always close to the top of the sales charts. Great days and I miss them.
As usual there are some lovely photos here; many thanks for responding, and do blame me if you feel yourself hard done by because I have discounted the idea that something old does not necessarily induce ‘nostalgia’, at least in my case.

Nostalgia - according to my trusty (and concise) Chambers 20th Century Dictionary, nostalgia is a ‘sentimental longing for past times’. So looking at this Challenge’s crop of photos I see plenty that speak of times past but I am unsure to what extent some of them, at least in my case, actually produce that ‘sentimental longing’ I had in mind when I set the challenge.

However from my personal viewpoint two strike a chord immediately: so in first place we have sinnerjohn ’s steam locomotive - I recall these glorious machines still in operation when I was a child. In second we have Mike in VT ’s flag, for no other reason than the fact that I just love this picture. In third we have that man sinnerjohn yet again for his marvellous orange Ford Cortina Mk3 - when I was a student (in the dim and distant past) these were just about everywhere and always close to the top of the sales charts. Great days and I miss them.
As usual there are some lovely photos here; many thanks for responding, and do blame me if you feel yourself hard done by because I have discounted the idea that something old does not necessarily induce ‘nostalgia’, at least in my case.
If I've read right I'm honoured to be 1st and 3rd this time around, thank you so much Nick :notworthy:
Congrats Mike in VT and everyone else that entered.

À la recherche des bois perdu

View attachment 159191

From your title I thought you were being trés literary, and wondering how I missed Proust’s bears. Once I got that sorted, I though: that’s a big black bear. And it’s at someone’s front porch. And someone’s taking a photo of it. And noone here has commented. So . . . Is a visit from a big black bear just . . no big deal?

Great theme, NickLeon - and of course you must judge according to your own subjective meanings! And if you don’t get up someone’s nose then you’re just not trying hard enough.

Congrats, sinnerjohn John - love that bus image :inlove:
Congrats (and welcome) Mike in VT Mike - great image! And this Australian also appreciates the history lesson :thumbs:

So . . . Is a visit from a big black bear just . . no big deal?
It’s not “no big deal”, but it’s not “a big deal” either, if you live on the East Coast, IMO. I’ve seen them while camping, and you hear of them getting into people’s garbage cans all the time. But I do want to hear the back story deepop David. :whistle:

WOWZA!!! Story, please! :coffee:
From your title I thought you were being trés literary, and wondering how I missed Proust’s bears. Once I got that sorted, I though: that’s a big black bear. And it’s at someone’s front porch. And someone’s taking a photo of it. And noone here has commented. So . . . Is a visit from a big black bear just . . no big deal?
It’s not “no big deal”, but it’s not “a big deal” either, if you live on the East Coast, IMO. I’ve seen them while camping, and you hear of them getting into people’s garbage cans all the time. But I do want to hear the back story deepop David. :whistle:
Sorry for the delay. I’ve been somewhat distracted. My youngest, julia, is getting married in our backyard August 8, with about 35 guests. There’s been a lot of angst and planning regarding COVID-19 restrictions. A lot of work figuring out seating with social distancing, how to get food to people, drinks, etc. Now, starting today Massachusetts has instituted a requirement that all travelers to the state after register online, and quarantine for two weeks once they get here, unless they have a negative Covid test 72 hours prior to arrival. It’ll all work out.

Regarding the bear,it’s not too uncommon to see them where civilization abuts the woodlands. We see them less frequently here in the center of town, maybe once every several years. (About 7-8 years ago a mother and two cubs spent the night in one of the trees in our backyard.) Also, infrequently , maybe every 4-5 years, a little dog will get mauled by a bear. The town advises that people take down their birdfeeders in the spring and leave them down until winter because they are a favorite food source for bears.

Sorry for the delay. I’ve been somewhat distracted. My youngest, julia, is getting married in our backyard August 8, with about 35 guests. There’s been a lot of angst and planning regarding COVID-19 restrictions. A lot of work figuring out seating with social distancing, how to get food to people, drinks, etc. Now, starting today Massachusetts has instituted a requirement that all travelers to the state after register online, and quarantine for two weeks once they get here, unless they have a negative Covid test 72 hours prior to arrival. It’ll all work out.

Regarding the bear,it’s not too uncommon to see them where civilization abuts the woodlands. We see them less frequently here in the center of town, maybe once every several years. (About 7-8 years ago a mother and two cubs spent the night in one of the trees in our backyard.) Also, infrequently , maybe every 4-5 years, a little dog will get mauled by a bear. The town advises that people take down their birdfeeders in the spring and leave them down until winter because they are a favorite food source for bears.
Oh my goodness David, you’ve got your hands full. What a responsibility. And when you think of all of those things that we took for granted, it makes me quite cross that we have to plan for things, even something as simple as going shopping. I’m sure it will be a lovely day. Can we expect photos?

Wow! Angst indeed! And congratulations to you and your daughter.

Congratulations!!! ❤️ And a separate “congrats” for getting this organized during a worldwide pandemic. :notworthy: It will be a beautiful day!! I hope we get to see photos.

Back
Top Bottom