MobiColour RESULT: MC #226 Theme: AT GROUND LEVEL July 20-Aug 2, 2020

You’re not wrong. We’re trialling a ‘click to make bigger’ light box - so image busy threads don’t become near infinite scroll.

Very much a trial at the mo. You should be able to click images to get them full screen - and be able to rotate for landscape etc.
I wondered why my pano came up so small!

'The only thing that helps me pass the time away
Is knowing I'll be back at Corcoran Beach someday'
(borrowed lyric)
Is your weather as dismal as ours this July? We’ve had one barbecue and ate indoors anyway because it was too chilly outside. Hope we are going to have an Indian summer.

Railyard warehouse
Hipsta

B4AE3E20-01E9-405D-B2CB-33C94674CD0F.jpeg

I had to look it up.
bale 2
n.
1. Evil
2. Mental suffering; anguish

Ha. Thank you for that. Always good to get a proper definition. I‘ve always understood the word as less anguished and more, um, stoic. (A bit more ‘f* you in the suffering).

I wonder what its roots are. Maybe it’s a bit like ‘bile - ful’ .

(maybe you would oblige ? next time you’re at your local dictionary . . . ? :D :notworthy: )

Ha. Thank you for that. Always good to get a proper definition. I‘ve always understood the word as less anguished and more, um, stoic. (A bit more ‘f* you in the suffering).

I wonder what its roots are. Maybe it’s a bit like ‘bile - ful’ .

(maybe you would oblige ? next time you’re at your local dictionary . . . ? :D :notworthy: )
Sheesh! I have to tell my kids to look it up for themselves!! :rolleyes: :baleful stare:

Origin of bale
before 1000; Middle English; Old English bealu, balu; cognate with Old Norse bǫl, Old Saxon balu, Old High German balo, Gothic balw-; akin to Russian bolʾ pain, OCS bolŭ ill

Word Origin for bile
C17: from French, from Latin bīlis, probably of Celtic origin

Bale looks like it has roots in Germanic languages, Bile from the Romance languages.

Although looking up Bilis in a latin dictionary and there's some familiar themes:

Definitions:
  1. gall, bile
  2. madness, melancholy, folly
  3. wrath, anger, indignation
The 2nd definition for bale is Mental anguish, suffering. Compare with the 2nd def for Bilis above.

Last edited:
Sheesh! I have to tell my kids to look it up for themselves!! :rolleyes: :baleful stare:

Origin of bale
before 1000; Middle English; Old English bealu, balu; cognate with Old Norse bǫl, Old Saxon balu, Old High German balo, Gothic balw-; akin to Russian bolʾ pain, OCS bolŭ ill

Word Origin for bile
C17: from French, from Latin bīlis, probably of Celtic origin

Bale looks like it has roots in Germanic languages, Bile from the Romance languages.

Although looking up Bilis in a latin dictionary and there's some familiar themes:

Definitions:
  1. gall, bile
  2. madness, melancholy, folly
  3. wrath, anger, indignation
The 2nd definition for bale is Mental anguish, suffering. Compare with the 2nd def for Bilis above.
Nice work. It inspired me to go digging, too. I found that Wikitionary offered a second possible derivation:

From Middle English bale (“pyre, funeral pyre”), from Old English bǣl (“pyre, funeral pyre”), from Proto-Germanic *bēlą (“pyre”), from Proto-Indo-European *bʰel- (“to shine; gleam; sparkle”). Cognate with Old Norse bál (which may have been the direct source for the English word).

Bale as in "bale of hay" starts in Middle English and comes from Old French and Medieval Latin, so same spelling and pronunciation but different meaning and source. Also, a bale of hay is equal to 10 flakes, as in "a bale of slackers," I guess.

Nice work. It inspired me to go digging, too. I found that Wikitionary offered a second possible derivation:

From Middle English bale (“pyre, funeral pyre”), from Old English bǣl (“pyre, funeral pyre”), from Proto-Germanic *bēlą (“pyre”), from Proto-Indo-European *bʰel- (“to shine; gleam; sparkle”). Cognate with Old Norse bál (which may have been the direct source for the English word).

Bale as in "bale of hay" starts in Middle English and comes from Old French and Medieval Latin, so same spelling and pronunciation but different meaning and source. Also, a bale of hay is equal to 10 flakes, as in "a bale of slackers," I guess.
Geez, I KNEW there was a reason I still hang out here. :lmao:

Back
Top Bottom