MobiColour RESULT: MC #226 Theme: AT GROUND LEVEL July 20-Aug 2, 2020

10B54DCD-F589-46FE-8A9C-62A6773E7FB5.jpeg

Goose tongue (Plantago maritima)
Lightroom, ACDSee Pro, Photos

Great edit (?). That very-ground-level perspective (did you dig a hole? :D ) isolates that particular clump of seaweed+stone and gives an Alien/Predator-like presence. To my eye the blue-ish tone adds to that sense of alien menace. I can even imagine this alien being with vision — if I follow its slight point to the soft blur of people on the horizon, they appear vulnerable, unaware of What Lurks Below off to the side a bit.

Brilliant. I can see it, with suitably foreboding text, on a horror movie poster :thumbs:

Toad in the compost heap. No edit.
View attachment 159449

How big is he (looks like fair-sized back legs tucked underneath) ? And was he right at the bottom of the compost heap? I’m thinking about temperature. I know some frogs & toads dig down in winter to hibernate without freezing, and some dig down in summer to hibernate without drying out. Some of them even shed skin and form frog versions of a cocoon. Amazing creatures.

I say I ‘know’, but the info came from a Maori elderwoman’s ‘knowing‘ : she told me the story when she gave me a ‘frog medicine’ pounamu. Magical /mystical explanations of natural phenomena are much more interesting to me than biology textbooks.

How big is he (looks like fair-sized back legs tucked underneath) ? And was he right at the bottom of the compost heap? I’m thinking about temperature. I know some frogs & toads dig down in winter to hibernate without freezing, and some dig down in summer to hibernate without drying out. Some of them even shed skin and form frog versions of a cocoon. Amazing creatures.

I say I ‘know’, but the info came from a Maori elderwoman’s ‘knowing‘ : she told me the story when she gave me a ‘frog medicine’ pounamu. Magical /mystical explanations of natural phenomena are much more interesting to me than biology textbooks.
Maybe 3inches (9cm) nose to tail.
There's little chance of it drying out, it's midsummer in Yorkshire, it's got more chance of catching a fungal infection here than drying out.
It's pushed out a little nook in the vegitation near the top and most active part of the heap, presumably where most of the invertebrates are partying. It can just sit there and let dinner come to it.
There's a railway at the back of our garden and between us and it is a wooded bank with a small runoff going along it. It's wet enough here most of the year to be a permanent streamlette but even when it dries up it's still damp. Perfect roadway for an ambitious amphib to go exploring from.

I loved ALL of the images posted this week. Although I feel some of you 'got' the theme more than others ;)
But there has to be winners,

In 3rd place, we have Starzee on the ground with her Trail Walk

2nd place terse with that glorious beach scene Corcoran Beach peering through the dunes.

And this weeks winner and in my opinion the person that totally 'got' this weeks theme was ImageArt.
Several of her images could have won but I chose this one, the last posted this time around.
1596384794636.png

Pinnacles Desert - An image that needs no edits. I've always said location is key to most great images and this is no exception. Well done Ann.

If you posted this week grab yourself an HM badge :thumbs:

I loved ALL of the images posted this week. Although I feel some of you 'got' the theme more than others ;)

2nd place terse with that glorious beach scene Corcoran Beach peering through the dunes.

And this weeks winner and in my opinion the person that totally 'got' this weeks theme was ImageArt.
Several of her images could have won but I chose this one, the last posted this time around.
View attachment 159533
Pinnacles Desert - An image that needs no edits. I've always said location is key to most great images and this is no exception. Well done Ann.

Yay ImageArt!! Thanks for my 2nd, John, and congrats to all who limbered up for this one. :thumbs:

View attachment 159533

Yippee. Thanks, John, really enjoyed this week's theme. I was going through the photos on my phone trying to clean up and forgot I had taken this one.

Well done, Star and Ted. Both great images.

View attachment 159533

This must have been a tough one to judge... so many great images!

Yay ImageArt Ann!! :D Well done.
High fives to Starzee Star and terse Ted!!

View attachment 159533

Congratulations ImageArt Ann. This had me intrigued until I realised that you were sitting down (you were sitting down, weren’t you?). Good one.

View attachment 159533

Congrats all and thanks for my third.

Back
Top Bottom