MobiColour RESULT: MC #42 THEME: Story Telling - November 14-20

While Brian ponders, or quietly fumes, I read this and thought it sounds just like my life, or anyone that has to work I guess.
I really hate winter, just realised I'd not taken a photo since the 16th and its now the 21st :(
Right here's another challenge for you John - photograph something colourful now (what colour are your socks?) and post it in the new thread. That'll make you feel better (nods sagely). Dr Gilbert has spoken.

Right here's another challenge for you John - photograph something colourful now (what colour are your socks?) and post it in the new thread. That'll make you feel better (nods sagely). Dr Gilbert has spoken.

Challenge accepted.

Can I join in? Just having a fag and see my today's colour combination. What thread? New MC or is there one up for winter depression? [emoji15]

You found exactly the right word: "challenge". That's what this is. Although I think I've learned my lesson not to expect people to do anything beyond search through pictures they have already shot to find entries for a challenge. Certainly not challenge themselves to try something new and go out and make new pictures for the challenge.
One of the important lessons we learn from this particular challenge is that very very few of the multitudinous thousands of pictures we have made in the past actually tell a story. Isn't that a sobering fact? Isn't it about time we did something about that?
Brian, this is the sort of challenge that can't be done in a week. If you said to me, I'm going to have a story telling challenge and we will see what everybody has in a month's time, I would have thought, cool, you're on. I have seen more balloons now than I did in the week that they were required. I went on a specific photoshoot on Saturday and took photos all day but nobody did anything unusual. Nobody fell into the pond or anything. Maybe I should have put my feral cow photo up but it was a poor photo. Trying to conjure up something for the sake of it, won't make it happen. Give me a month and I'll give you a photo. Also, this sort of topic works well with street photography and not many of us here feel comfortable with that.

While Brian ponders, or quietly fumes, I read this and thought it sounds just like my life, or anyone that has to work I guess.
I really hate winter, just realised I'd not taken a photo since the 16th and its now the 21st :(

Propably a story teller ... "Stars & Stripes - European Command ..." :)

image.jpeg
No, shouldn't be moved to MC43 !

Last edited:
MobiColour #42 - Storytelling:

This was an interesting challenge and observing people's reactions to it was equally interesting. There were many compelling images. I found it a sobering fact that so very few of the pictures we make contain real storytelling. I hope to be more conscious of storytelling as I make pictures in the future.

The Winners!

rizole: His photo of the snail and the ammonite fossil. Although in a more literal sense the picture only contains the present and the past, the title that came to my mind "I see my future written in the past" speaks also of the future. A story with a 100 million year timeline. An excellent idea brilliantly executed. Looks like you're the next judge, rissole. I loved your photo. Well done!
rizole1.jpg

RoseCat: The vultures on the locked gate. This is a most intriguing image. Several story ideas pop into mind but the overriding sense of warning about whatever it is that lies beyond the locked gate is the strongest to me. Great image!
RoseCat1.jpg

Kmenglee: What a difference that little splash of coins makes. It changes the photo from a still life to the closing chapter in the story of a meal. Was it shared? We don't know. The gentle warm tones are compelling me to imagine something romantic. The meal was relaxed, or drawn out, enough to allow time for a smoke at the end.
Kmenglee1.jpg

GroovyGouvy: The story of the ugly duckling, plain as day. This is the point in the story where the ducks paddle a shunning wide berth around the swan. The swan, head low, doesn't yet know she's a swan.
GroovyGouvy39.jpg

---------------------------

Honourable mentions:

JillyG: The last leaf still hanging on. A very minimalist image. This is also a closing chapter.
JillyG2.jpg

zenjenny: The birthday girl. The part of this story I'm most drawn to is the wistful expression on the girl in the background, but everyone else is focused on the joy of the birthday girl. It causes one to ponder.
zenjenny2.jpg

This was an interesting challenge and observing people's reactions to it was equally interesting. There were many compelling images. I found it a sobering fact that so very few of the pictures we make contain real storytelling. I hope to be more conscious of storytelling as I make pictures in the future.

The Winners!

rissole: His photo of the snail and the ammonite fossil. Although in a more literal sense the picture only contains the present and the past, the title that came to my mind "I see my future written in the past" speaks also of the future. A story with a 100 million year timeline. An excellent idea brilliantly executed. Looks like you're the next judge, rissole. I loved your photo. Well done!
View attachment 84827

RoseCat: The vultures on the locked gate. This is a most intriguing image. Several story ideas pop into mind but the overriding sense of warning about whatever it is that lies beyond the locked gate is the strongest to me. Great image!
View attachment 84828

Kmenglee: What a difference that little splash of coins makes. It changes the photo from a still life to the closing chapter in the story of a meal. Was it shared? We don't know. The gentle warm tones are compelling me to imagine something romantic. The meal was relaxed, or drawn out, enough to allow time for a smoke at the end.
View attachment 84829

GroovyGouvy: The story of the ugly duckling, plain as day. This is the point in the story where the ducks paddle a shunning wide berth around the swan. The swan, head low, doesn't yet know she's a swan.
View attachment 84830

Honourable mentions:

JillyG: The last leaf still hanging on. A very minimalist image. This is also a closing chapter.
View attachment 84831

zenjenny: The birthday girl. The part of this story I'm most drawn to is the wistful expression on the girl in the background, but everyone else is focused on the joy of the birthday girl. It causes one to ponder.
View attachment 84832

Well done Rizole (I loved that one), Catherine, Kuan Meng and Gouvy. Good one Jen. Thank you for my HM Brian.

The Winners!

rizole: His photo of the snail and the ammonite fossil. Although in a more literal sense the picture only contains the present and the past, the title that came to my mind "I see my future written in the past" speaks also of the future. A story with a 100 million year timeline. An excellent idea brilliantly executed. Looks like you're the next judge, rissole. I loved your photo. Well done!
View attachment 84827

View attachment 84828

View attachment 84829

View attachment 84830

Honourable mentions:

View attachment 84831

View attachment 84832

Congratulations rizole! That was my favourite one, too! There were many great pictures but this one stayed in mind.
Congrats also to RoseCat, Kmenglee and JillyG and zenjenny.
And a great and thoughtful judgement FundyBrian.
Only the swan did perfectly know he is one. He must have been the boss of the pond, actually, as he was the only one with his wings lifted all the time and some seconds before (or after?) he scared some ducks away that came too close to him with a big hiss. [emoji4] But your title is close to mine "I once was an ugly duckling, but see me now!" – or "King of the pond". [emoji106][emoji4]

Congratulations rizole!! Well done! I love your image.

I'm honored to share the stage with Kuan Meng, Gouvy, Jilly & Jen... [emoji4] Thank you Brian!
Congrats rizole and all you other lucky winners :thumbs:
Well done Rizole (I loved that one), Catherine, Kuan Meng and Gouvy. Good one Jen. Thank you for my HM Brian.
Thank you very much FundyBrian, I wasn't expecting that. Well done every one. Tricky theme with some creative interpretations I thought.

Likewise :) ('what they all said') :thumbs:

I know this would be tough to do, but it would be interesting to post photos we believe tell a story, tell the story using our own words, and then get some feedback on how we could make the photo better so it represents what we thought to others.

Like this ... ?

https://www.mobitog.com/threads/would-like-some-feedback.22039/

As I had to learn the hard way - feedback has to be in writing as posting an edited image as "visual feedback" isn't allowed in here (even within the "Critique Corner") if not explicitly requested by the owner of the image.

Well, beside that an "Edit this ..."-thread/challenge has been introduced (but kinda disappeared for unknown reason).

Good luck :)

Last edited:
I know this would be tough to do, but it would be interesting to post photos we believe tell a story, tell the story using our own words, and then get some feedback on how we could make the photo better so it represents what we thought to others.

That sounds like an interesting project. I think you know when you are most successful when someone else can tell the story by looking at your picture without clues from you. To some degree this is similar to non-judgemental evaluation where we start out saying "this picture makes me feel ------" based on what emotions are stirred up for the person looking at the image.
You're sort of doing it the other way around, telling people the story you want to tell and getting them to tell you how successful you were.
One thing you learn from discussing images is that no matter how perfect the image may be, people will always find things in it they think could be improved upon, even if they were discussing the Mona Lisa or some other famous painting. As long as you understand that in advance then you're prepared to try the process.
Telling a story with a single image is much harder than making a picture story with a few photos. Say 4-6 photos. Each photo narrows the range of possible stories the pictures tell, until there is only one.

Some of you might have a blog in place - so this is for you too :thumbs:

Feel free to listen to one clip of Nigel Merrick's podcast.
Check it for the following title, and yes, that means you've to unmute your device for listening.
Have fun :)

"How to bring the stories of your photograph to life ..."

Photography Marketing Masters“ by Photography Marketing Coach Nigel Merrick interviews successful professional photographers and expert marketers ~ Market your photography business and find more clients!

https://itun.es/de/qlzq2.c

Last edited:

Check it for the following title, and yes, that means you've to unmute your device for listening.

Photography Marketing Masters“ by Photography Marketing Coach Nigel Merrick interviews successful professional photographers and expert marketers ~ Market your photography business and find more clients!

Added to my podcast client. Thanks for the heads up.

Interesting, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom