Reaction score
Real Name
Gouvy
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
View attachment 104188

At 2pm I was watching videos on bulletjournal.com about the Bullet Journal, Ryder Carrol’s new (ish) take on daily planners. He calls it ‘the analogue system for the digital age’ . . . .

:mobibabe: Okay, if you say so.

My history with planners and journals is abysmal: my commitment & focus has lasted about a week if that. I have empty calendar journals everywhere. So I’d seen the Kickstarter campaign (worked well for him) and figured I’d try something new.

What had originally looked like the perfect planning method for people with ADD tendencies started to look like an ADD nightmare. The neat, tidy stuff is Ryder Carrol demonstrating the method. The flowery, elaborated stuff is bits I’ve found elsewhere on bullet journaling — which bears little resemblance to Carrol’s neat, non nonsense, black & white ‘at a glance’ planner. Bullet journaling on most of the other websites and videos I found seems like scrapbooking/art journaling with a few pie chart goals thrown in. Multiple lists - books to read, hydration goals, friends’ birthdays, marketing goals, you name it. Lots and lots of decoration - washi tape, cupcake stickers, inspiring quotes... :D

I understood most of Carroll’s perfectly simple instructions, though I’m not sure what I would put on ONE HALF A LINE per day for each month :eek: . But the other stuff did my head in. One lady spent five mins of her video showing off her beautiful pen, and another five sharing her rapture at the Exact Perfect Shade of Emerald Green that was her journal cover.
I struggled on for a bit. But when it became clear to me that I had no idea where to put ongoing day entries (ie before or after inspiring quotes; with or without washi tape, etc), I gave in gracefully. Broke out my trusty gel pens and started decorating. When in doubt, doodle :thumbs:

View attachment 104189

And you accuse me to confuse you! [emoji1]
What is it good for? [emoji15] If I could be so organised I could do a diary without help. Still don't know is it a scrap book? Diary? Journal? [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

ImageArt

IOTM Winner - February 2021
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
My 365
My MobiTog 365
View attachment 104188

At 2pm I was watching videos on bulletjournal.com about the Bullet Journal, Ryder Carrol’s new (ish) take on daily planners. He calls it ‘the analogue system for the digital age’ . . . .

My history with planners and journals is abysmal: my commitment & focus has lasted about a week if that. I have empty calendar journals everywhere. So I’d seen the Kickstarter campaign (worked well for him) and figured I’d try something new.

What had originally looked like the perfect planning method for people with ADD tendencies started to look like an ADD nightmare. The neat, tidy stuff is Ryder Carrol demonstrating the method. The flowery, elaborated stuff is bits I’ve found elsewhere on bullet journaling — which bears little resemblance to Carrol’s neat, non nonsense, black & white ‘at a glance’ planner. Bullet journaling on most of the other websites and videos I found seems like scrapbooking/art journaling with a few pie chart goals thrown in. Multiple lists - books to read, hydration goals, friends’ birthdays, marketing goals, you name it. Lots and lots of decoration - washi tape, cupcake stickers, inspiring quotes... :D

I understood most of Carroll’s perfectly simple instructions, though I’m not sure what I would put on ONE HALF A LINE per day for each month :eek: . But the other stuff did my head in. One lady spent five mins of her video showing off her beautiful pen, and another five sharing her rapture at the Exact Perfect Shade of Emerald Green that was her journal cover.
I struggled on for a bit. But when it became clear to me that I had no idea where to put ongoing day entries (ie before or after inspiring quotes; with or without washi tape, etc), I gave in gracefully. Broke out my trusty gel pens and started decorating. When in doubt, doodle :thumbs:

View attachment 104189
I used to have the perfect to-do list when I worked. On my desk in a prominent place. Now I create a to-do list but I’ve lost or forgotten about it by the 2nd day! Maybe, I just don’t want to remember all the things I have to do....

zenjenny

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
jen
Device
iPhone 12 Pro Max
What is it good for? [emoji15]
Still don't know is it a scrap book? Diary? Journal? [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

I don’t know either :appsir:

Have a look at Ryder Carrol’s site, because he did the original Bullet Journal - and his idea is pretty clear. And extremely simple.

Then take a deep breath, type ‘Bullet Journal’ into YouTube, and hit some random videos. The longer the video the more likely you’ll be ooh-ing and aah-ing over the front cover, the washi tape and the cupcake stickers (and the less likely you are to know what-all the book is for).

Starzee

IOTM Winner - July 2020
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Star Greathouse
Device
iPhone 12 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
View attachment 104188

View attachment 104189

I always find it amazing in Time Stamp, that I’m drinking coffee and thinking about breakfast and 2pm has come and gone for others.

You sound like me with journaling. I last a few days then things would pile up, sometimes literally, on top of the journal and it was forgotten.

RoseCat

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
I used to have the perfect to-do list when I worked. On my desk in a prominent place. Now I create a to-do list but I’ve lost or forgotten about it by the 2nd day! Maybe, I just don’t want to remember all the things I have to do....
I use the native Reminders app, especially for my grocery shopping list (I prefer to have a piece of paper sitting where I can’t miss it for to-do’s). But for shopping it’s perfect.

FundyBrian

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
View attachment 104188

View attachment 104189

I can really feel this one. I love those little field notebooks with nice covers, waterproof pages, etc. Yes, it’s true that someone else’s system can look initially useful but doesn’t work for you, or completely bizarre if it doesn’t suit your needs.
I had several for recording field notes while shooting film, locations, zone system data, film comparison tests, etc. And then review notes made after my films were developed. At the time it was almost essential info. Now, irrelevant.
A special master book for general use - I had a few through the years in the pre-computer, pre-internet day’s but eventually evolved my own system. Its very visual. Full of pages with designated categories to keep track of stuff, with an index, too. A special waterproof pen to write with. It was where I kept track of everything. There’s something interesting in the way ideas are made concrete by writing them down. I still have a couple somewhere. Full of lists of all sorts, little sketches, creative ideas for photos, song lyrics that are waiting for music to complete them, all sorts of ideas for prototype work that pop into your head and written down before you forget. About 15mm thick of pages all full. Birthdays, music, photo locations, equipment lists. Also, specific items I’m looking for divided by type, like hardware, electronics parts, camera store, but with items written in pencil so you can erase them when no longer needed.
For instance: you find yourself at the annual giant antique car flea market and come across a booth with assorted tools on sale, including assorted taps and dies but that’s not much use if you don’t know what sizes you already have at home. So out pops the little book and, aha, the 4mm x1.25 tap was broken a while ago and I’m missing the 12mm coarse size die. Let’s see if they have those sizes. I never would have bothered to write that all down if I had not missed a few good opportunities in the past. I’m sure it also makes a difference that I live far from town.
It was wonderful for a couple of years until the pages began to run out of space and there was no way to expand the book or shuffle categories or add new ones. I made a new book but it, too, gradually became unworkable. Ultimately, the lack of any way to delete old info and have space for new info made me realize a digital format was needed, but this was a few years before the first iPod came out. So you can imagine I now make extensive use of the Notes app. My iPhone is smaller than my notebook was, doesn’t need a pen, and is infinitely adaptable.
Edit: but there’s no lasting record. Nothing to look back on like a diary. When digital info is no longer current it disappears.

Last edited:

RoseCat

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
My history with planners and journals is abysmal: my commitment & focus has lasted about a week if that. I have empty calendar journals everywhere.
You’ve pretty much nailed my experience too. I’ve had lots of high hopes (I even have a journal I bought just recently, along with new colored pens, sitting in my drawer... used it a couple times and then......... o_O)

FundyBrian

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
View attachment 104188

View attachment 104189
One of the things I love about Time Stamp is opening the Mobi app while still in bed in the morning and seeing someone has already posted their 2 pm activities from half way around the world. It gives me such a sense of global perspective.

RoseCat

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
I now make extensive use of the Notes app.
I do too.... recipes, health/healing info, DIY of things to make (mostly body/face creams, etc), hiking/biking trails. Even so, most of the categories (around 15 = 375 notes) are not revisited. I put stuff in there and....it’s just *there*. Lots of it is information just-in-case I need it. But what I love is that it can be accessed on all my devices.

RoseCat

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
One of the things I love about Time Stamp is opening the Mobi app while still in bed in the morning and seeing someone has already posted their 2 pm activities from half way around the world. It gives me such a sense of global perspective.
Yes!! :inlove:

JillyG

IOTM Winner - September 2020 & January 2021
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 12 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
New to me (and Rog) is the Peterborough Museum. In fact, we’ve had two new places today because we discovered a wonderful Portuguese cafe (Nata) in Peterborough that serves fab coffee and those gorgeous little Portuguese tarts (no photos, they were gone in seconds).

EBC1A01C-8E0D-4265-8079-0883C2336676.jpeg

I bet it’s the only time that Peterborough and all those other places appear together.:lol:

Anyway, back to Peterborough Museum. When I looked back through the photos I can see that at 2pm I was in the least interesting part of the museum. The 1950s kitchen!!
9D69014D-566C-47C5-8627-91710CA1E978.jpeg

I remember all of these things! :( How about that wallpaper? This would have been a very posh kitchen.

A232336D-F559-4C0A-82EB-B33CB2538A62.jpeg

This was just before 2pm in the Victorian hospital ward exhibit. There was a soundtrack that went with this that wasn’t very jolly!:confused:

20E68E8C-3AB7-4632-BF24-8BF12440BC42.jpeg

A mammoth’s tooth found in one of the villages near Peterborough. Where I was standing to make this photo would have been 50 metres under the sea in the Jurassic period! No mammoths then obviously :D.

Thank you Time Stamp - without you we would never have ventured out and discovered that lovely cafe and the museum.

Starzee

IOTM Winner - July 2020
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Star Greathouse
Device
iPhone 12 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I do too.... recipes, health/healing info, DIY of things to make (mostly body/face creams, etc), hiking/biking trails. Even so, most of the categories (around 15 = 375 notes) are not revisited. I put stuff in there and....it’s just *there*. Lots of it is information just-in-case I need it. But what I love is that it can be accessed on all my devices.

Guess I’ll have to take another look at Notes.

Starzee

IOTM Winner - July 2020
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Star Greathouse
Device
iPhone 12 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
New to me (and Rog) is the Peterborough Museum. In fact, we’ve had two new places today because we discovered a wonderful Portuguese cafe (Nata) in Peterborough that serves fab coffee and those gorgeous little Portuguese tarts (no photos, they were gone in seconds).

View attachment 104202
I bet it’s the only time that Peterborough and all those other places appear together.:lol:

Anyway, back to Peterborough Museum. When I looked back through the photos I can see that at 2pm I was in the least interesting part of the museum. The 1950s kitchen!!
View attachment 104203
I remember all of these things! :( How about that wallpaper? This would have been a very posh kitchen.

View attachment 104204
This was just before 2pm in the Victorian hospital ward exhibit. There was a soundtrack that went with this that wasn’t very jolly!:confused:

View attachment 104205
A mammoth’s tooth found in one of the villages near Peterborough. Where I was standing to make this photo would have been 50 metres under the sea in the Jurassic period! No mammoths then obviously :D.

Thank you Time Stamp - without you we would never have ventured out and discovered that lovely cafe and the museum.

Very cool! The hospital looks gruesome. Glad you didn’t include the sound track!

ImageArt

IOTM Winner - February 2021
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I used to use the Memo app on my Palm Pilot. I had everything in there like window measurements etc but I just didn’t take to the Notes app mostly because there was no way of backing up the whole thing to my PC only to the iCloud (I don’t use iTunes). Maybe I should look at it again. I do miss having a place to add useful bits of info.

RoseCat

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 11 Pro

View attachment 104202

View attachment 104203

View attachment 104204

View attachment 104205

I must say I love a 1950's/1960's kitchen! :inlove: I'm drawn to that period of design/architecture. But holy moly the hospital exhibit!! :barf: I am forever grateful to have access to modern health care, that's for sure. Wonder what drove them to include bloody sheets in the display?!?! But regardless, this is my favorite image in your trio. :whistle:

RoseCat

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
Last edited:

JillyG

Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 12 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I must say I love a 1950's/1960's kitchen! :inlove: I'm drawn to that period of design/architecture. But holy moly the hospital exhibit!! :barf: I am forever grateful to have access to modern health care, that's for sure. Wonder what drove them to include bloody sheets in the display?!?! But regardless, this is my favorite image in your trio. :whistle:
:lmao:That says something, but I don’t know what.

deepop

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
David
Device
iPhone Xs
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Reminders is my go to app for REMINDING me to do the rare one off tasks I need to remember to do( if I remember to enter a reminder). Planning is easy - I"m retired and plan very little. I occasionally use Notes for lists, jotting down random bits of info I think Ill want access to, but just like using an analog paper and pen, I usually forget that I've saved something, so short of rereading my Notes on a regular basis, I have no idea what is in my various lists and notes.

Like every one else in the Northeast (US) it's cold an windy here (feels like -1ºF here with the wind chill.) Here still being Cleveland. Since it's 2, Toby and Max are resting or napping, so no kid pics. Something appropriate to the weather.
Ice in various forms
fullsizeoutput_529c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_52a0.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_529b.jpeg

Snapseed

JillyG

Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 12 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Reminders is my go to app for REMINDING me to do the rare one off tasks I need to remember to do( if I remember to enter a reminder). Planning is easy - I"m retired and plan very little. I occasionally use Notes for lists, jotting down random bits of info I think Ill want access to, but just like using an analog paper and pen, I usually forget that I've saved something, so short of rereading my Notes on a regular basis, I have no idea what is in my various lists and notes.

Like every one else in the Northeast (US) it's cold an windy here (feels like -1ºF here with the wind chill.) Here still being Cleveland. Since it's 2, Toby and Max are resting or napping, so no kid pics. Something appropriate to the weather.
Ice in various forms
View attachment 104223

View attachment 104224
View attachment 104225
Snapseed
Lovely ice formations. It’s not that easy to get great ice photos, but you and Brian have it sewn up.:thumbs: