• > UPDATE Thread < Thanks to all who've DONATED to help with MobiTog's costs, please consider a small regular monthly sum, now possible under the new Donate tab! (NB - If all active MobiMembers Donate just £1/$1 per month it will cover our costs and help with expenditure for updates/improvements) A BIG THANK YOU ALL for your continued generosity & support!
  • PLEASE READ THIS THREAD < Tap for linky - MobiTog still has a few minor updates/improvements to complete... :)

Return of the prodigal

richardcb

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Richard
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
Hi guys. How is everyone? It's been a while since I graced these hallowed forums and it looks like you've had the decorators in since I was last here. Looking good by the way, so glad to see the back of the grey. ;)

I'm finally getting round to upgrading my iPhone (7 Plus still going strong) and it seems XS and XR are the way to go. Still doing preliminary research but am surprised to see a lot of support for the XR, the seemingly 'cheaper' option of the pair. Anyway, if anyone has an experience with either of the phones I'd love to hear about it.

Hope all the 'old gang' are well. It's great to see MobiTob (or mobitog?) still around and thriving. Look forward to checking in a bit more often.

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
This year I moved from an iPhone 7 (not a Plus) to an iPhone Xs. The Xs screen is great, and it's faster, but mostly I can tell you about the photos (naturally). Getting the 2x tele lens on the Xs has been a big deal for me, but you already have that. The Xs tele does have optical image stabilization, which is a useful improvement. The photos are better -- not knock-your-socks-off better, though. They just look a bit better than the 7 all around (and part of that may be the improved stabilization over the 7), and I was already happy with the 7's photo quality. There is one long exposure app -- Spectre, from the developer of Halide -- that performs beautifully on the Xs (handheld long exposures up to 9 seconds) but less well on the 7, so something about the new hardware makes a difference there, but whether it's just speed or something new that Spectre hooks into, I don't know.

I bought the bottom end 64GB version because I regularly dump all my photos to my iPad rather than keeping them on my phone.

richardcb

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Richard
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
Thanks, terse. Yes the tele lens on the XS is very desirable to me too but several of the reviews I've read claim the XR lens is also very good and only in the most extreme conditions would you notice any difference. The XR is also claimed to have better battery life, a (slightly) larger screen (not OLED, I know) and, most importantly, is much cheaper than the XS. It seems a case of swings and roundabouts. The search continues.

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Hi guys. How is everyone? It's been a while since I graced these hallowed forums and it looks like you've had the decorators in since I was last here. Looking good by the way, so glad to see the back of the grey. ;)

I'm finally getting round to upgrading my iPhone (7 Plus still going strong) and it seems XS and XR are the way to go. Still doing preliminary research but am surprised to see a lot of support for the XR, the seemingly 'cheaper' option of the pair. Anyway, if anyone has an experience with either of the phones I'd love to hear about it.

Hope all the 'old gang' are well. It's great to see MobiTob (or mobitog?) still around and thriving. Look forward to checking in a bit more often.
Hey Richard, we miss you. Yes, do pop in more frequently. I’ve got the XS and I love everything about it. But I don’t know anything about the XR, so I can’t comment on that one.

richardcb

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Richard
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
Hey Richard, we miss you. Yes, do pop in more frequently. I’ve got the XS and I love everything about it. But I don’t know anything about the XR, so I can’t comment on that one.
Thanks, Jilly. I was looking at some of your recent images and was very impressed with the quality. Reviews of the XR say the camera is very close in quality to the XS but, of course, lacking the telephoto lens.

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Thanks, Jilly. I was looking at some of your recent images and was very impressed with the quality. Reviews of the XR say the camera is very close in quality to the XS but, of course, lacking the telephoto lens.
Thank you - and that’s after Mobi has downsized them! It depends how important that telephoto is to you. What you don’t have you don’t miss, so they say. :D