Ric’s journey without direction

Slow Shutter Cam (the one from CogiTap -- there's a bunch with almost the same name) has been around a long time, and it works, so many people use it. But a number of the better cam apps have added good slow shutter modes in the past year or two: Pro Camera by Moment, Camera+ 2, and ProCam, for example. If you have one of those, it might be all you need.
I’m looking into it now. Good time to experiment while quarantined lol.

If you look on IG #ICM I'd say 80% of images posted are nature related, trees, seascapes, landscapes etc. I might be being presumptuous but I wouldn't have said that was your bag Ric. Are you trying to incorporate icm into street?
Just trying something different yeah, unfortunately I should realise that if it worked, then someone was bound to have got there already

My experience has been (and I'm sure someone can come along and prove me wrong) that when you're adding ICM-like effects in post-processing, you're constrained by what the image offers you. And directional blur effects seem (to me) to work best when the starting image has some noticeable horizontal or vertical lines that the blur can reinforce (like Roxanne Overton's images, which frequently have both).

In-camera ICM, on the other hand, can give you all kinds of crazy/exciting stuff as you wave the camera around. It's a surprise in every shot. It also means, for me, that I throw away 99% of those shots when I review them :lmao:. The promising ones I then edit to try to reinforce their interesting qualities.

And I think it was ImageArt (maybe?) who mentioned somewhere that you can take a straight image, duplicate it, apply motion blur to one of the copies, and then blend the two to get a very nice effect.
That’s the method used on my last image, as you said, it’s very hit and miss unless you have a suitable image. No, I’m gonna flap my arms all over the place now using camera apps to see what I can make lol

terse Well I just played with iColorama. It’s a bit confusing but the chaos you can create including the blurring,can be quite errrr, impressive.
WOTANICUS . I think iColorama might have a bit of getting used to but there’s a lot you can do with it. Might be one to put on the iPad fella.

Well I just played with iColorama. It’s a bit confusing
It's definitely eccentric :D, but in return, it can do so much. It'd be one of my desert island apps. There are just so many rabbit holes pathways to go down once you get started. juryjone has some iColorama tutorials here:

And you might want to check out the iColorama challenge here from back in 2016. Or use the MobiTog search function to look for iColorama in titles.

Last edited:
It's definitely eccentric :D, but in return, it can do so much. It'd be one of my desert island apps. There are just so many rabbit holes pathways to go down once you get started. juryjone has some iColorama tutorials here:

And you might want to check out the iColorama challenge here from back in 2016. Or use the MobiTog search function to look for iColorama in titles.
Your right saying rabbit holes! Not sure I was happy with a first go, I totally destroyed my photo, it was interesting though. It might even make its way here. Ta for the link Ted. not interested in making art so much but hell, there’s tons to just destroy a photo.

Ugh iColorama, I think with an app like that you have to choose between art or photography. For me it has nothing to do with photography. I see a lot of photos mangled in that app and passed off as art, which always leaves me scratching my head.
Each to their own of course, but I'd advise caution before going down that particular rabbit hole Ric. No doubt the iColorama crowd will have a pop at me now (again) :lol:

Last edited:
Ugh iColorama, I think with an app like that you have to choose between art or photography. For me it has nothing to do with photography. I see a lot of photos mangled in that app and passed off as art, which always leaves me scratching my head.
Each to their own of course, but I'd advise caution before going down that particular rabbit hole Ric. No doubt the iColorama crowd will have a pop at me now (again) :lol:
I know what your saying and can totally see that after playing a while. Im thinking the app can be a glorious thing, or a hideous creature.
Very much a jeckyl and hyde thing.
Always oleased to hear peoples opinions, whats the point of places like this otherwise? Its exactly why images are put into this thread. I see the other side too where a digital artist uses photos as a medium to create their piece. Its a good thing were all diferent but its good that you have the freedom to say your view as well.

It’s amazing the rubbish that goes through your head when your tired. Finding new things, or ways to do things in affinity photo, created something that is exactlly ( in my opinion) neither a photo, or art. Sometimes I get mixed up with the many blurred lines between the two.
Another throw away photo without editing, but the thought of Death leaning over his tired scythe, hood down in weariness, getting on the esculator to have a meeting with the big boss upstairs to complain about being overworked and the rising costs of living ( or in his case dying) just wouldn’t leave my head. Can’t compress that into a title but did find a little glimmer of humour in my twisted mind.

72A415F0-322C-4F02-9C1F-54A077F1B62C.jpeg

It’s amazing the rubbish that goes through your head when your tired. Finding new things, or ways to do things in affinity photo, created something that is exactlly ( in my opinion) neither a photo, or art. Sometimes I get mixed up with the many blurred lines between the two.
Another throw away photo without editing, but the thought of Death leaning over his tired scythe, hood down in weariness, getting on the esculator to have a meeting with the big boss upstairs to complain about being overworked and the rising costs of living ( or in his case dying) just wouldn’t leave my head. Can’t compress that into a title but did find a little glimmer of humour in my twisted mind.

View attachment 182848
Now this is class. Just the right amount of ICM on the surroundings, with leading lines to the Voldemort like figure at the centre. and the description nails it

terse Well I just played with iColorama. It’s a bit confusing but the chaos you can create including the blurring,can be quite errrr, impressive.
WOTANICUS . I think iColorama might have a bit of getting used to but there’s a lot you can do with it. Might be one to put on the iPad fella.
Well the biggest hurdle im facing at the moment is getting images onto the ipad. If i try to load from an external source, none of the apps can find the image, even importing via the camera roll. The Files app doesnt help either, as everything seems to get shunted onto icloud!

ImageArt - I’m working out that the develop section in affinity or should I say personna? gives Most of what Lightroom does. I’m gonna start watching tutorials now on quick masking etc o get up to speed. I’m aiming to see if I can replicate what I do in snapseed, with affinity, even if it does take a longer route.

Can you tell I’m bored? Just playing with photos that wouldn’t see the light of day and I’m playing with muted colour in images.

affinity photo. Tonemap, curves and levels to paint light

View attachment 182750
But that‘s effective. An ordinary image that has real atmosphere now.

Well the biggest hurdle im facing at the moment is getting images onto the ipad. If i try to load from an external source, none of the apps can find the image, even importing via the camera roll. The Files app doesnt help either, as everything seems to get shunted onto icloud!
Airdrop? Switch it on both devices and then share photos on iPhone. Your iPad comes up as an option and voila, over they go. Then turn airdrop off both devices.

I’m thinking it’s at least 3 years old.
Three years and I guarantee Apple programme it to not work anymore. Been in the news. They slow the battery down apparently because the old devices can’t handle the power required for the most up-to-date iOS upgrades. I used to stop upgrading the iOS after two years but these days apps don’t seem to work if you don’t upgrade.

My experience has been (and I'm sure someone can come along and prove me wrong) that when you're adding ICM-like effects in post-processing, you're constrained by what the image offers you. And directional blur effects seem (to me) to work best when the starting image has some noticeable horizontal or vertical lines that the blur can reinforce (like Roxanne Overton's images, which frequently have both).

In-camera ICM, on the other hand, can give you all kinds of crazy/exciting stuff as you wave the camera around. It's a surprise in every shot. It also means, for me, that I throw away 99% of those shots when I review them :lmao:. The promising ones I then edit to try to reinforce their interesting qualities.

And I think it was ImageArt (maybe?) who mentioned somewhere that you can take a straight image, duplicate it, apply motion blur to one of the copies, and then blend the two to get a very nice effect.
Actually, I take a straight shot and a motion blur shot of the same image and combined these but you could do try blurring a duplicate. But like you say, the actual motion blur image does come up with some exciting and surprising results.

That’s the method used on my last image, as you said, it’s very hit and miss unless you have a suitable image. No, I’m gonna flap my arms all over the place now using camera apps to see what I can make lol
As terse says be prepared to throw away 99%. It’s that 1% that makes it so exciting and worthwhile.

Three years and I guarantee Apple programme it to not work anymore. Been in the news. They slow the battery down apparently because the old devices can’t handle the power required for the most up-to-date iOS upgrades. I used to stop upgrading the iOS after two years but these days apps don’t seem to work if you don’t upgrade.
My air 3 is more Than 3 years old and still going ok. Hopefully an iPad upgrade could be on the cards sometime this year but it’s not a worry yet. If it were then stopping and iOS upgrades AND not updating apps would surely mean the app cannot stop working?

As terse says be prepared to throw away 99%. It’s that 1% that makes it so exciting and worthwhile.
Unless grabbing fast street shots. I don’t know how I’d feel coming back to the iPad after a few hours on the street and seeing nothing in the keep pile :(

I use a lot of the first 7 options on the iColorama Adjust menu option to tweak ordinary photos or to finish off a manipulation rather than Snapseed.

Just out of interest, do you still use your iPad? If not, I guess you didn’t get another?

Unless grabbing fast street shots. I don’t know how I’d feel coming back to the iPad after a few hours on the street and seeing nothing in the keep pile :(
That’s why I tend to use several camera apps on a shoot. Do the ICM thing but take a couple of straight shots just in case.

When you say load from an external source, how? Through an SD card adapter? That’s how I tend to bring in a lot of stuff from devices other than my iPhone. Within the Files app, you just need to make sure that you save the stuff to the iPad and not the iCloud. You can create your own folders. From here it’s pretty easy to save to the Camera Roll providing it’s an image.

When you say the apps can’t find the images in the Camera Roll, what type are they (eg png, jpeg)? Might they be raw in which case only certain apps will open them. Also, sometimes you have to make sure you have added the option in the apps Share menu. Not always straightforward I know. I have often been frustrated by apps that don’t give you the correct import/export options and have had to find another route.

Do you have a decent EXIF app? Another app I couldn’t do without despite Apple now having an info button for photos. My favourite is ViewExif which you can set as a Share option in Photos. (Fluntro also have which unfortunately went free just a couple of days ago. Worth waiting until it comes round again but sometimes I find there is too much detail for this.)

Or there’s also Transfer which I tend to use less now unless backing up which is a lot quicker than the Files app.

Note: if you don’t buy the app then it won’t transfer photos at full resolution. It’s quite expensive now. I paid about £3.99 for it some years back. Now I think it’s £19.99 for lifetime.

If you want me to elaborate on any of this, let me know. I can give you a bit of a tut.

Last edited:
Everything else works fine. Just the battery doesn’t hold up.

When you say load from an external source, how? Through an SD card adapter? That’s how I tend to bring in a lot of stuff from devices other than my iPhone. Within the Files app, you just need to make sure that you save the stuff to the iPad and not the iCloud. You can create your own folders. From here it’s pretty easy to save to the Camera Roll providing it’s an image.

When you say the apps can’t find the images in the Camera Roll, what type are they (eg png, jpeg)? Might they be raw in which case only certain apps will open them. Also, sometimes you have to make sure you have added the option in the apps Share menu. Not always straightforward I know. I have often been frustrated by apps that don’t give you the correct import/export options and have had to find another route.

Or there’s also Transfer which I tend to use less now unless backing up which is a lot quicker than the Files app.

Note: if you don’t buy the app then it won’t transfer photos at full resolution. It’s quite expensive now. I paid about £3.99 for it some years back. Now I think it’s £19.99 for lifetime.
Im using a SD card reader. I import the photo, but then if I go to the files app, it cant see it, or if I go to Snapseed, it cant see it either! LRM seems to be able to find stuff and then I have the option to 'Open In' and transfer it to Sketches etc. Its a learning curve, I think im more used to the Android file transfer system on my old pad. I'm going to give it another go at lunchtime, see if ive got my head around it!

Back
Top Bottom