Ric’s journey without direction

ric alexander

Mr. Patience
Real Name
ric alexander
Device
iPhone 11
Hope this is in the right section. I’m figuring copying some others and putting my images into a thread makes sense to keep track of myself which I find hard at times lol.
Now attempting to use affinity photo app as little as possible so my go to, snapseed was used to create this and found the double exposure works good for certain effects.
C837F078-EE51-493F-B0C2-656582DD4853.jpeg

C19CB81B-1F04-45D8-8D61-04B0E295EF84.jpeg

I don’t know what size everyone uses when uploading so I went with 800 pixels, they look a little small here though.
MobiTog automatically resizes anything large down 1500 pixels on the long side. I resize to that before uploading because it looks to me as though I get better results that way using Pixelmator Photo for the resizing. (Could be all in my imagination, though.)

I can do that? I thought it was frowned on uploading an image multiple times.
If you're grabbing images you've posted in a 365 or another thread of your own, like this one, I think it's fine. I don't think MobiTog has ever run a poll on it or anything, but I don't remember anyone objecting. I do try to avoid adding the same image to multiple MobiColour challenges or B/W challenges. (I say "try to" because it gets to be %^@$ hard after a while to figure out what you've posted and what you haven't.)

Another experiment. Lightroom for iPad, well, I’ve just realised what it can do and I’m now pretty much sold on it. My workflow seems to be changing drastically as I get to relearn editing. This time I didn’t want to add anything, just see what Lightroom could produce. Im almost tempted to pay the £5 subscription for it. I’d be interested to know if anyone actually subscribes and what they think of it.

Lonely……
BB1ADB0A-4B70-4B1E-B532-1682D4D367E6.jpeg

Edit - I think I’m reaching a point where, although my images are far from perfect, I’m now having more enjoyment in photography and editing than I ever had. who would have thought I’d have ditched my Dslrs for a phone. Of course, this is down To seeing members work here and actually being part of a community. I’d imagine without you guys this relaunch of my hobby would have fizzled out.

Last edited:
Another experiment. Lightroom for iPad, well, I’ve just realised what it can do and I’m now pretty much sold on it. My workflow seems to be changing drastically as I get to relearn editing. This time I didn’t want to add anything, just see what Lightroom could produce. Im almost tempted to pay the £5 subscription for it. I’d be interested to know if anyone actually subscribes and what they think of it.
I use Lightroom Mobile quite a bit on my iPad and also as a camera app on my phone. I had a subscription for a month or two (free through something or other, maybe Flickr membership) and decided not to continue it because the extras it would bring me I already had through other apps.

The subscription extras that interested me the most were perspective correction (which I have through Photos, Snapseed, and SKRWT), selective adjustments (which I have through Snapseed and ACDSee Pro), and the ability to work with a wider range of raw files (which I can do through Raw Power). It would be covenient to have all those in a single program, but so far it hasn't tempted me enough to sign up.

In addition, the one thing I don't like about LR is the need to import files into the app for editing, rather than working directly with images in the Camera Roll.

But LR is a regular part of my workflow nonetheless. I use it for most raw/DNG files and do most of whatever regular editing is called for there as well. Then I usually make some adjustments in Photos. After that, if I need to, I may make further lighting adjustments in ACDSee Pro or Snapseed.

Last edited:
I use Lightroom Mobile quite a bit on my iPad and also as a camera app on my phone. I had a subscription for a month or two (free through something or other, maybe Flickr membership) and decided not to continue it because the extras it would bring me I already had through other apps.

The subscription extras that interested me the most were perspective correction (which I have through Photos, Snapseed, and SKRWT), selective adjustments (which I have through Snapseed and ACDSee Pro), and the ability to work with a wider range of raw files (which I can do through Raw Power). It would be covenient to have all those in a single program, but so far it hasn't tempted me enough to sign up.

In addition, the one thing I don't like about LR is the need to import files into the app for editing, rather than working directly with images in the Camera Roll.

But LR is a regular part of my workflow nonetheless. I use it for most raw/DNG files and do most of whatever regular editing is called for there as well. Then I usually make some adjustments in Photos. After that, if I need to, I may make further lighting adjustments in ACDSee Pro or Snapseed.
Aha, I sort of get where your coming from. The importing photos part though, I don’t know what is different as I simply grab the photo from camera role, edit, then save to camera roll as I do in other apps. I then delete the image from the Lightroom album as it is in the photo album anyway. Yes Lightroom is very good. The only thing I find it lacking with is layers which as you say, is available elsewhere anyway.

Aha, I sort of get where your coming from. The importing photos part though, I don’t know what is different as I simply grab the photo from camera role, edit, then save to camera roll as I do in other apps. I then delete the image from the Lightroom album as it is in the photo album anyway. Yes Lightroom is very good. The only thing I find it lacking with is layers which as you say, is available elsewhere anyway.
It's not a huge deal, just an annoyance for me, an extra step at the beginning and two at the end. I just don't see any reason for it (in LR and other apps that do the same). Maybe it makes sense if you're going to use LR to organize images and keep them there, but I don't do that.

LR does support the Files app, which is a good thing.

Newsflash——————-

Dopey ric didn’t know you could edit actually view AND mask parts of any edit done on an image in snapseed!!! DOH!!! Thanks adobe but nah,I don’t need your subscription now, Mobitog are having my fiver instead towards running costs.

For me LRM is one of those essential apps, if you're into what I'd call 'straight photography' anyway.
No I don't subscribe, as Ted says you can get what's missing elsewhere.
My fave feature is the presets and with a bit of faff you can import your own from desktop to mobile as well. You can also get apps that apply presets for you.
Not worth a subscription but def worth getting familiar with.

Yes John that’s the way I’m seeing it as well. As for desktop, the only thing I have now is a laptop with Linux which is just used to store original photos once I’ve edited them.

Lonely……View attachment 179057

Edit - I think I’m reaching a point where, although my images are far from perfect, I’m now having more enjoyment in photography and editing than I ever had. who would have thought I’d have ditched my Dslrs for a phone. Of course, this is down To seeing members work here and actually being part of a community. I’d imagine without you guys this relaunch of my hobby would have fizzled out.
Welcome to the best part of our little community!!!!! It changed my photographic outlook, too.

Yes John that’s the way I’m seeing it as well. As for desktop, the only thing I have now is a laptop with Linux which is just used to store original photos once I’ve edited them.
If you do want to do some editing in Linux, there's darktable, a Lightroom analog that's free and open source. I took it for a spin on my Mac, and it's got quite a bit going for it.

Captivity of the soul.

I had one of those moments where you stare at something, and something meaningful comes into the grey matter. As it was one of those moments, I just had to capture it.

lightroom for iPad and snapseed
4CEC818E-196B-4937-930B-768381973496.jpeg

Captivity of the soul.

I had one of those moments where you stare at something, and something meaningful comes into the grey matter. As it was one of those moments, I just had to capture it.

lightroom for iPad and snapseed
View attachment 179092
Nice one, Ric.

FWIW I dont think you think too much about your images. As long as you don’t need any given reader to see/think in the reading what you see/think in the making, then your thinking, when you do it, is part of the quiet joy of making art.

Newsflash——————-

Dopey ric didn’t know you could edit actually view AND mask parts of any edit done on an image in snapseed!!! DOH!!! Thanks adobe but nah,I don’t need your subscription now, Mobitog are having my fiver instead towards running costs.
Check out this old thread. From recollection we used quite a lot of the features and put in tips. Jilly’s final winner, was a winner!

Thread 'RESULT: TWAC - Snapseed - Nov 16-30'
https://mobitog.com/threads/result-twac-snapseed-nov-16-30.22060/

Back
Top Bottom