Ric’s journey without direction

Couldn’t get the mono version to work. I think it’s just too messy but spent time with colour, layer masking to Blur the background. Tonemapped.
mono version created in Lightroom and snapseed, colour done in affinity photo.

this is my Reu ( pronounced Roo). A rescue from Romania.

I’m coming to getcha!!!!
24F77F12-C568-418C-9D26-EEC3B6FFF34D.jpeg
FDEE5FD7-056B-4951-836E-B195A62B82CA.jpeg

Might be worth the sub, then. It's hard to overestimate the value of apps you actually like to use.
It could well be ted. I’ve compared editing several photos v affinity photo and layers aside, Lightroom seems a lot more friendly/easy. At the moment, I’m impressed.

I thought you see that on the free version in presets? Not sure I'd pay £9.98 a month for Lightroom, or is there a cheaper plan?
I think its £9.99 for photoshop and lightroom. Its £5 a month for lightroom for ipad or £48 per year. Yes you still get other peoples work but i should have said, with full version you can do them all.
Going to play more with it under the free trial.
I guess the thing thats appealing is most of the work could be done in lightroom before throwing it at another app if layers work are needed.
It has pushed me more towards straight photography though which im not sure if its a good thing or not yet.

I think its £9.99 for photoshop and lightroom. Its £5 a month for lightroom for ipad or £48 per year. Yes you still get other peoples work but i should have said, with full version you can do them all.
Going to play more with it under the free trial.
I guess the thing thats appealing is most of the work could be done in lightroom before throwing it at another app if layers work are needed.
It has pushed me more towards straight photography though which im not sure if its a good thing or not yet.
The Adobe pricing structure is pretty confusing! Couldn't find the £5 a month only the Photography plan at £9.98.

The Adobe pricing structure is pretty confusing! Couldn't find the £5 a month only the Photography plan at £9.98.
Theres two lightrooms. Ipad mobile and lightroom for ipad i think. Ive got the one for ipad and just looking at the ipad, it does give two options to me, monthly at £4.99 or yearly at £48.99 with 100gb cloud included

Theres two lightrooms. Ipad mobile and lightroom for ipad i think. Ive got the one for ipad and just looking at the ipad, it does give two options to me, monthly at £4.99 or yearly at £48.99 with 100gb cloud included
Yeah just looked again on my phone and you're correct. Those premium pre-sets look very tempting to me, its annoying how they let you apply it then say NAH can't have that without paying :lol:

Yeah just looked again on my phone and you're correct. Those premium pre-sets look very tempting to me, its annoying how they let you apply it then say NAH can't have that without paying :lol:
It is annoying and crafty on adobes part. I do wonder if they will continue their pricing strategy with more serious apps arriving though such as on ones ( i think thats what they are called) app offering pay monthly or buy outright,which will challenge lightroom.
The only benefit i see atm is that nearly any correction can be done in one package even if i do then export to snapseed or superimposeX to do layer work or destroy all the good stuff i did in lightroom lol.

My Best Friend….
This fella is always out with his companion and best friend. I hope to do a few shots and then ask him if he has an email to send some images I’m doing to him.

returning back to Lightroom and snapseed. I wanted to see how it felt to go back to my dark gritty, fast edits, unlike the more clean editing that Lightroom and affinity photo try pushing. I’m really having trouble deciding my favourite workflow and style right now And the brain is threatening to spontaneous combust!!

I’m pondering on whether it’s good enough for a mono challenge.

1891B362-B2AD-4464-AF6A-315DBBB8767B.jpeg

I’m really having trouble deciding my favourite workflow and style right now
I have that problem, too, sometimes. In those cases, I'll try doing the image both ways (or all three ways, etc.) and then let the results sit for a day or two or three before looking at them again. Usually that tells me which style suits the image better. (Usually. Sometimes the needle remains on "no decision.")

I have that problem, too, sometimes. In those cases, I'll try doing the image both ways (or all three ways, etc.) and then let the results sit for a day or two or three before looking at them again. Usually that tells me which style suits the image better. (Usually. Sometimes the needle remains on "no decision.")
Yes, ive done 3 versions of this one as i seem to have my go to apps ( 3 of them anyway). Its a nice headache to have in a way i guess. The biggest issue is i seem to be getting most of my workflow from an app i dont favour that much.

Yes, ive done 3 versions of this one as i seem to have my go to apps ( 3 of them anyway). Its a nice headache to have in a way i guess. The biggest issue is i seem to be getting most of my workflow from an app i dont favour that much.
Affinity is a pig to learn. So different from anything else so doesn’t feel intuitive. However, I think it is really powerful if you put in the legwork. I haven’t used it for a while but it’s still on my bucket list to get into earnestly if just for getting photo stacking right. It reminds me of how I felt when I first started learning Photoshop actually. Massive learning curve.

Affinity is a pig to learn. So different from anything else so doesn’t feel intuitive. However, I think it is really powerful if you put in the legwork. I haven’t used it for a while but it’s still on my bucket list to get into earnestly if just for getting photo stacking right. It reminds me of how I felt when I first started learning Photoshop actually. Massive learning curve.
It’s definitely more complicated than photoshop but, I think once you have the masking techniques sorted in your head, your good to go. It’s still quicker to do some initial editing in Lightroom or snapseed depending what your trying to achieve but for tuning an image, it’s proving to be very useful.I’m continuing to edit the same photo using all 3 apps, Lightroom, affinity photo and snapseed. It might be taking to much on at the same time considering all the features in each app but it keeps it interesting.

It’s definitely more complicated than photoshop but, I think once you have the masking techniques sorted in your head, your good to go. It’s still quicker to do some initial editing in Lightroom or snapseed depending what your trying to achieve but for tuning an image, it’s proving to be very useful.I’m continuing to edit the same photo using all 3 apps, Lightroom, affinity photo and snapseed. It might be taking to much on at the same time considering all the features in each app but it keeps it interesting.
If you can make Affinity do what you want, maybe that’s your app. You can do anything in Affinity that you can do in Proocreate.

If you can make Affinity do what you want, maybe that’s your app. You can do anything in Affinity that you can do in Proocreate.
Yes. The one thing that procreate and other apps do though is blend differently with layers. I find affinity a little too clinical whereas other apps especially snapseed can give a more, errr, dirty effect in some of the editing, in that the less precise editing can create great effects sometimes.

Yes. The one thing that procreate and other apps do though is blend differently with layers. I find affinity a little too clinical whereas other apps especially snapseed can give a more, errr, dirty effect in some of the editing, in that the less precise editing can create great effects sometimes.
Affinity blends layers, too. Or are you saying it’s a big pain to get it to do what you want? That’s why I keep throwing my hands in the air in frustration. It does have a very cool option that will open several images at once in layers. I mess with that sometimes. A couple of the folks here have gotten very nice effects with that. terse Ted, maybe?

Affinity blends layers, too. Or are you saying it’s a big pain to get it to do what you want? That’s why I keep throwing my hands in the air in frustration. It does have a very cool option that will open several images at once in layers. I mess with that sometimes. A couple of the folks here have gotten very nice effects with that. terse Ted, maybe?
Affinity is great with layers. No, I mean if you use the blend modes, they are different to how those blends turn out with, say, photoshop. It was easier to get dirtier grungy type results Although I’m starting to get the workarounds sorted now. Sometimes you have to work backwards compared to how you did before. Watched a few videos on masking now and things are clicking into place.
having the official book for when I used affinity on a laptop is also proving to be useful.

I can do that? I thought it was frowned on uploading an image multiple times.

If you're grabbing images you've posted in a 365 or another thread of your own, like this one, I think it's fine. I don't think MobiTog has ever run a poll on it or anything, but I don't remember anyone objecting. I do try to avoid adding the same image to multiple MobiColour challenges or B/W challenges. (I say "try to" because it gets to be %^@$ hard after a while to figure out what you've posted and what you haven't.)

What Ted said. As for ’too many posts of the same image’, I’ve not heard any complaints. Sometimes the hosts of various challenges will actively recruit images from members’ threads, but only if you don’t think of it for yourself.

Back
Top Bottom