Ric’s journey without direction

With a gloomy overcast day in front of me, I’m about to set out around London as I’m on my own for the day. Thought I’d put one here that amused me. Reflections of people, a bridge, and then the people inside the barge staring. A little messy but I kinda like the way it goes together.

watching life go by…..View attachment 179604
lightroom for iPad
I like this a lot.

It was indeed on the rope. I couldnt Get another shot without being spotted and the woman moved her head so the opportunity was gone. London is a battle today. I’ve done 4 hours of travelling and its just jam packed so shots were far and few between. If I feel up to it I’m gonna get back out of the hotel and see what I can get. Between the heavy crowds and my reactions on the shutter being terrible today, I’m gonna be lucky to have much.
Do a Terse and shoot from the hip, don't overthink the shot, just shoot. When it calms down a little later, then you can grab more controlled photographs. Go for quantity, rather quality.

Do a Terse and shoot from the hip, don't overthink the shot, just shoot. When it calms down a little later, then you can grab more controlled photographs. Go for quantity, rather quality.
I just tried this and returned to the hotel. A bit scared to look at hat I’ve got but I made the fateful mistake of shooting from the hip while still walking. I did do multiple presses to burst shoot on native app so I’m hoping I’ve got a couple.

I just tried this and returned to the hotel. A bit scared to look at hat I’ve got but I made the fateful mistake of shooting from the hip while still walking. I did do multiple presses to burst shoot on native app so I’m hoping I’ve got a couple.
As Bill said, shoot a lot, worry about them later. If you end up with 1 usable out of 20 after straightening and cropping, you're doing extremely well for shooting blind. If you've got an add-on wide lens, that'll help to make sure your target remains fully in the frame.

Alternatively, find some place where you can lean against a wall or something, set the focus and exposure for a likely spot, and wait for people to walk through the zone.

Another option, though I've never used it: use the selfie camera to shoot over your own shoulder.

As Bill said, shoot a lot, worry about them later. If you end up with 1 usable out of 20 after straightening and cropping, you're doing extremely well for shooting blind. If you've got an add-on wide lens, that'll help to make sure your target remains fully in the frame.

Alternatively, find some place where you can lean against a wall or something, set the focus and exposure for a likely spot, and wait for people to walk through the zone.

Another option, though I've never used it: use the selfie camera to shoot over your own shoulder.
I got a few shots. But I really have to pause before I take the shot, it’s all a learning process. I’ll keep some blurry ones too and do some arty stuff with them maybe.

I also pondered on adding a stream of tears, or more like, a long exposure of water from a tap, to qualify it for the latest comp ‘fluid’ but I think that might have been pushing a weeny bit too far lol.

The Agony Of Parting……

View attachment 179522

lightroom for iPad, affinity photo.

I think it would have worked in that challenge. Your title can convey a lot - and/or ask your reader to fill the gaps, sotospeak. WOTANICUS Bill’s thread is full of examples.

but what if it was the joy of re-union?

As above

Flowers are definitely not my genre. Anyway, it’s experiment time. Tried using just snapseed after taking this rather small weed, ahem, rockery flower ( I have no idea what difference there is between the two but screeching from the boss( wife) when asked to get weeds out of ground is a fairly good indicator of what is what). It looks like camera+2 macro mode works.

View attachment 179519
Love this. And I would‘ve screeched at you too if you’d pulled it up. i don’t ask my DH to weed - not since he proudly showed me a great big pile of Creeping Jenny he had carefully pulled out — it had taken probably five years to grow, and in that many minutes under his loving care there it was ready for the rubbish bin (yes, not even in the compost bin).

It’s a bit like never being asked to wash the dishes because you regularly break them, put them away in places they’ll never be found, that kind of thing . . .

Expeeeeeeeeriment, and oh god is this one gonna be a test. I grabbed one of Starzee s textures merely to try out the less fussy, more dirty masking in SuperimposeX. The texture was random but it has certainly helped to portray rich and pooor. The down and out living near one of the main streets in London and the nice expensive car and posh type shops and buildings. For a first very rough attempt I’m kinda liking it while at the same time wondering what the hell im doing lol.

The other side of life.

62C51DC3-D487-4AC8-A9EB-30358E292B4F.jpeg

used lightroom to get the start and then SuperimposeX to undo all that Lightroom did lol.

Expeeeeeeeeriment, and oh god is this one gonna be a test. I grabbed one of Starzee s textures merely to try out the less fussy, more dirty masking in SuperimposeX. The texture was random but it has certainly helped to portray rich and pooor. The down and out living near one of the main streets in London and the nice expensive car and posh type shops and buildings. For a first very rough attempt I’m kinda liking it while at the same time wondering what the hell im doing lol.

The other side of life.

View attachment 179656
used lightroom to get the start and then SuperimposeX to undo all that Lightroom did lol.
I LOVE it, for those very reasons you’ve said. It’s wonderful.:notworthy:

The other side of life.

View attachment 179656
Great shot and edit…. Storytelling at its best

It seems I couldn’t visit London without at least one touristy photo, but instead of going right outside Big Ben and parliament, and jostling with the huge crowds, a retreat nearer the river was called for To try and make it a little different.

The Boss’s House.

BEF56327-4449-418B-9351-613281B65FA3.jpeg

lightroom.

It seems I couldn’t visit London without at least one touristy photo, but instead of going right outside Big Ben and parliament, and jostling with the huge crowds, a retreat nearer the river was called for To try and make it a little different.

The Boss’s House.

View attachment 179675
lightroom.
Location is (almost) everything. Nice tones on this one Ric.

The Boss’s House.

View attachment 179675
lightroom.
Great shot and edit. You’d never get the whole building in from another location. You were standing in almost the same place as the Mobitog Meetup in June 2017, when ten of us Mobitoggers (or it might have been more) met in London.:lol:

The other side of life.

View attachment 179656
Incredible!

The other side of life.

View attachment 179656
I’m glad you were able to access the textures!!

The Boss’s House.

View attachment 179675
lightroom.
Couldn’t be less touristy. Love the filter!

Well I write this here as it is my journey sort of, so, it turns out that my XR isn’t well at all. After finding out it was reconditioned even though in a proper sealed box, I’ve been forced to look at renewing my phone. With the money situation as it is, I’m now looking forward to a new albeit only one year younger iPhone 11. With Amazon £50 cheaper than the actual apple store, it means I get a case and change from money saved.
hopefully I can do the camera proud.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom