Ric’s journey without direction

Well ted, iPhone 11 landed in my grubby mits today so first test was the wide lens. I’m not sure this is gonna be easy. If you don’t get that phone perfectly level to the subject, you get some real weird results. Shooting from the hip would prove very difficult I think. Hopefully I’ll get a test tomorrow when walking the dog.
Sometimes those weird results make the difference! Embrace the weird!

Dandelion

just messing about with macro on camera+2. Nothing of note but I just kinda liked it.

iPhone XR.
lightroom

FCF946F1-B8BE-40F6-A40A-62B3060633B0.jpeg

ok so I’ve been out with the iphone 11 briefly and tested out this wide angle lens for street images. Seems it is indeed good for catching those candid shots but getting back to the hotel room, I’m amused at some of the results after air dropping them on the iPad.
using Lightroom seems ok for correcting some of the distortions but I kinda like the weird effects the lens can give if you don’t shoot straight or square, at the subject.
got a bit of practising to get better with this lens.
anyway, just the first photo the phone downloaded. It’s not pin sharp, along with other imperfections but rather than bin I put it through Lightroom affinity photo and snapseed. nowhere perfect but it has appeal to me.

God Bless You.
D3F6118C-D9DF-4801-93F6-FF0E4451113C.jpeg

ok so I’ve been out with the iphone 11 briefly and tested out this wide angle lens for street images. Seems it is indeed good for catching those candid shots but getting back to the hotel room, I’m amused at some of the results after air dropping them on the iPad.
using Lightroom seems ok for correcting some of the distortions but I kinda like the weird effects the lens can give if you don’t shoot straight or square, at the subject.
anyway, just the first photo the phone downloaded. It’s not pin sharp, along with other imperfections but rather than bin I put it through Lightroom affinity photo and snapseed. nowhere perfect but it has appeal to me.

God Bless You.View attachment 179984
Hi Ric, I mean no offence but I have to ask why do you take so many shots of homeless/down and outs/ begging people?
Is it social documentary, or is it a case of getting a good emotive image? I personally avoid such images as it causes me too much conflict, using someone's hard luck for my fairly expensive photo habit just doesn't seem right. Although I'm sure you drop a couple of quid in their cups.

Just curious of your answer and again I mean no offence and its not criticism in any way.

Hi Ric, I mean no offence but I have to ask why do you take so many shots of homeless/down and outs/ begging people?
Is it social documentary, or is it a case of getting a good emotive image? I personally avoid such images as it causes me too much conflict, using someone's hard luck for my fairly expensive photo habit just doesn't seem right. Although I'm sure you drop a couple of quid in their cups.

Just curious of your answer and again I mean no offence and its not criticism in any way.
Well this is interesting. I choose to capture images that are uncomfortable for a lot of people. Most turn their heads and bury their heads in the sand and pretend it doesn’t exist, . As for using someone’s hard luck, well, I’m not as unfortunate as them but i wasn’t a million miles away. I see my outdated iPhone 11 and iPad air2 which was given to me as a luxury And something I would never have dreamed of in my youth, yes, my path could easily have gone the way of the people I do like to photograph.
I prefer to see homeless centres get bin bags full of clothes to help them ( which we have done). rather than give money when a percentage of them are feeding their alcohol or drug habit, again something I’ve been on the wrong end of in my childhood. I have strong feelings about people being left on the wayside by the system or governments but I’m just gonna get even deeper if I keep waffling.

A few days of being overworked followed with with a lovely surprise of having a great chat with a molbile photographer I’ve known for some time, who has scrutinised my workflow and given me some harsh advice, which can be taken as good AND bad. In fact it partly covers what was discussed recently regarding mobile photography and what some expect expect from it. i Have to rewind and try to rediscover my old styles that I both enjoyed and others Liked.
meanwhile, I saw a heron posted, and thought I’d add mine taken in Regent Park, London this week. I was gonna destroy it with textures etc but I didn’t have the heart.

edited with Lightroom and snapseed

C84A6218-D7E0-4D30-B671-348C2C864E8A.jpeg

Last edited:

God Bless You.View attachment 179984
I like the result. The fact that the writing is central and the rest almost swirls around it.

A few days of being overworked followed with with a lovely surprise of having a great chat with a molbile photographer I’ve known for some time, who has scrutinised my workflow and given me some harsh advice, which can be taken as good AND bad. In fact it partly covers what was discussed recently regarding mobile photography and what some expect expect from it. i Have to rewind and try to rediscover my old styles that I both enjoyed and others Liked.
meanwhile, I saw a heron posted, and thought I’d add mine taken in Regent Park, London this week. I was gonna destroy it with textures etc but I didn’t have the heart.

edited with Lightroom and snapseed

View attachment 180149
I am really envious of the marvellous heron images! This is fantastic. :notworthy:

Another from London ( isn’t it funny how a new place presents a photo yet you can’t motivate yourself in your local surroundings? In this case, your a nobody no matter what you do in the big smoke, yet in my hometown, it seems you only have to pick your phone up and everyone stares at you suspiciously, so weird).
saw a store selling mainly bathbombs and stuff, so I knew there would be colour, funny then that a style I’m leaning into destroyed every concept of the reason I went to get the shot.

colour in just lightroom for iPad, no crop or anything drastic done in edit.
mono in Lightroom for iPad and superimposeX

( this is one image where my trial of photoshop made the best image but I deleted it by accident when I cancelled the trial.

7418B4D2-D2CA-466E-9D59-7366239EC8A9.jpeg

7A41BF8D-A603-446B-B9E1-D3A36C2B9DE9.jpeg

Another from London ( isn’t it funny how a new place presents a photo yet you can’t motivate yourself in your local surroundings? In this case, your a nobody no matter what you do in the big smoke, yet in my hometown, it seems you only have to pick your phone up and everyone stares at you suspiciously, so weird).
saw a store selling mainly bathbombs and stuff, so I knew there would be colour, funny then that a style I’m leaning into destroyed every concept of the reason I went to get the shot.

colour in just lightroom for iPad, no crop or anything drastic done in edit.
mono in Lightroom for iPad and superimposeX

( this is one image where my trial of photoshop made the best image but I deleted it by accident when I cancelled the trial.

View attachment 180161
View attachment 180162
I love that black and white edit.:notworthy:

Oh, if only I had stayed there another couple of minutes. As we were walking away the little bugger dipped his toes ( and the rest of him) in the water and came out with a fish. I was kicking myself.

I know the feeling :rolleyes: I have a secret list of Moments I never captured :)
Me too. Lots of them.

Me too. Lots of them.
A few years back, when RoseCat started the Come walk with me thread for short videos, I was at Antonelli Pond and decided to try a video of wading through the heavy foliage to get to where it opened out to the water. I was doing a dry run -- phone up but not recording -- to make sure I could actually get through, and as I neared the water, an large egret burst out of cover not 10 feet in front of me and flapped off into the distance. :eek: Aiee! Moral: Always be shooting.

A few years back, when RoseCat started the Come walk with me thread for short videos, I was at Antonelli Pond and decided to try a video of wading through the heavy foliage to get to where it opened out to the water. I was doing a dry run -- phone up but not recording -- to make sure I could actually get through, and as I neared the water, an large egret burst out of cover not 10 feet in front of me and flapped off into the distance. :eek: Aiee! Moral: Always be shooting.
Last week a large military plane flew through the valley by the woods when we were walking Ozzy. It was flying at about 500 feet, but was I ready and in the right place? Was I buffalo!!! All I could do was watch as it flew off towards the RAF base near us.

Experiment time

Alpaca Helen did a photo which got me trying to think of abstract type images. ow I’m not too sure about it myself but as I posted on Helen’s thread saying I could have the same doubts as her, I’m putting my first effort here. I actually used iColorama for the first time in between Lightroom and SuperimposeX. Does it work? I dunno but I kinda like it

these were scaffolding poles on the ground and the title jumped out at me so i gave it the title.

Trapped within the metal forest

3125BF42-0311-4DD2-8F74-6869CB720616.jpeg

I’ve only just realised but when viewing this full size on the iPad, I see the woman in black (like from horror film) lurking in there. Now I’m spooked!!,

Experiment time

Alpaca Helen did a photo which got me trying to think of abstract type images. ow I’m not too sure about it myself but as I posted on Helen’s thread saying I could have the same doubts as her, I’m putting my first effort here. I actually used iColorama for the first time in between Lightroom and SuperimposeX. Does it work? I dunno but I kinda like it

these were scaffolding poles on the ground and the title jumped out at me so i gave it the title.

Trapped within the metal forest

View attachment 180210

I’ve only just realised but when viewing this full size on the iPad, I see the woman in black (like from horror film) lurking in there. Now I’m spooked!!,
Love it. And yes, I see her too now.o_O

Back
Top Bottom