Ric’s journey without direction

It did it’s job by making you think but is that enough?
Depends. If that's what you wanted me to be thinking about, then yes. In reading the image, my eye keeps going back to the two people, who are near the center of the image. In the straightened image, my eye sort of rests there. In the original, it doesn't and I start thinking about the tilt instead of about the people and the image.

As always, make allowances for the fact that I'm weird.

Depends. If that's what you wanted me to be thinking about, then yes. In reading the image, my eye keeps going back to the two people, who are near the center of the image. In the straightened image, my eye sort of rests there. In the original, it doesn't and I start thinking about the tilt instead of about the people and the image.

As always, make allowances for the fact that I'm weird.
Aren’t we all weird lol? I’m off to walk tHe dog round the village with a combo loaded into hipsta, let’s see if it can get some good street shots from the hip with no burst and no continuous focus mode of camera+2.

A new direction ( of sorts).
after spending a couple of hours in my local town, for the first time in around 6 months, I was horrified. about 60% of the shops have shut down, and the cheap clothes shops etc certainly showed their appearance by how a lot of people were clothed. I really was astonished.
It’s obvious that the very little character of the place is not going to provide much reward in street photography, I walked away with maybe 3 shots I’d call keepers.
So, I’m going to force myself in the coming weeks to get off my lazy bum and get on the coast to try out seascapes.
to try and wet my appetite I’ve been playing with one or two images so fingers crossed, this might throw a new direction for me.
Am I in the minority of becoming fed up with shooting the same genre most of the time?

SuperimposeX

0B109757-4D33-4384-9F38-9A6784D6DED8.jpeg

Last edited:
after spending a couple of hours in my local town, for the first time in around 6 months, I was horrified. about 60% of the shops have shut down, and the cheap clothes shops etc certainly showed their appearance by how a lot of people were clothed. I really was astonished.
It’s obvious that the very little character of the place is not going to provide much reward in street photography, I walked away with maybe 3 shots I’d call keepers.
So, I’m going to force myself in the coming weeks to get off my lazy bum and get on the coast to try out seascapes.
to try and wet my appetite I’ve been playing with one or two images so fingers crossed, this might throw a new direction for me.
Am I in the minority of becoming fed up with shooting the same genre most of the time?

View attachment 183605
That's a good start :thumbs:

SuperimposeX

View attachment 183605
Love the striations and the “smoothness”. As Ted says, a good start.

A friend asked me tonight to depict how I felt about where I’m heading with my photography with me being in a rut. He is trying to grasp the iPhone XS and editing at the moment.
we set each other a task. For the other person to pick just one app and also a photo. So, my photo was picked and he picked iColorama knowing damn well Im Uncomfortable with it. The result is so far away from my normal stuff. Not a photo anymore but that wasn’t the aim.
The title he picked for it ( before I created it), and I had to interpret was - Rics disorientated passageway.
I admit I laughed at it.

EA70AC90-461E-4E22-B66C-3CB6343B5561.jpeg

A friend asked me tonight to depict how I felt about where I’m heading with my photography with me being in a rut. He is trying to grasp the iPhone XS and editing at the moment.
we set each other a task. For the other person to pick just one app and also a photo. So, my photo was picked and he picked iColorama knowing damn well Im Uncomfortable with it. The result is so far away from my normal stuff. Not a photo anymore but that wasn’t the aim.
The title he picked for it ( before I created it), and I had to interpret was - Rics disorientated passageway.
I admit I laughed at it.

View attachment 183708
Your shadow seems to be half a step ahead of you. I suppose Jung would have something to say about that?

I admit I laughed at it.

View attachment 183708
I like it (and what Ted said). Its not technically brilliant but I'd say its an art piece so doesn't really have to be. Definitely a split personality thing going. How did your friend do?

I like it (and what Ted said). Its not technically brilliant but I'd say its an art piece so doesn't really have to be. Definitely a split personality thing going. How did your friend do?
It isnt a shadow. Its suposed to be a spirit ( be it evil or not) leading the person along his path.
My friend tried digital art side of imaging but he cant get to like it. He prefers doing similar to my usual stamp funnily enough. Im glad about that because he is much much better than i am. Probably because he will sit in one spot for hours just to get a couple of shots in.
As for the above image though, its just existing to show art creativity isnt my thing.

It isnt a shadow. Its suposed to be a spirit ( be it evil or not) leading the person along his path.
My friend tried digital art side of imaging but he cant get to like it. He prefers doing similar to my usual stamp funnily enough. Im glad about that because he is much much better than i am. Probably because he will sit in one spot for hours just to get a couple of shots in.
As for the above image though, its just existing to show art creativity isnt my thing.
A spirit huh.......that's how good I AM with artistic interpretation :lol:

I admit I laughed at it.

View attachment 183708
I love it.

Also “what Ted said” .

And imho Jung would have started with a rousing little monologue on how at a stretch Spirit and Shadow could be seen as part of the same Archetype, and then probably something instructive about your unconscious (shadow) creating this image to express the fact that your Shadow is precisely a step ahead of you . . . And if you were still conscious (ha ha) after that he’d probably treat you to his story of the scarab beetle over mints and coffee.

I admit I laughed at it.

View attachment 183708
What Jen said. I love it too.

I admit I laughed at it.

View attachment 183708
This is cool!

Thanks for the feedback guys, I’m still experimenting but going back to my techniques ( while trying a few new ways in affinity to do things). I’ve decided to embrace the lacklustre environment of my local town centre and try to make some sort of mini series from it.
a re edit of a latest image of a lady I posted is going to be done but I’m jus
t seeing if this kickstarts me again.
None of them, in my opinion are good enough to put in the mono challenges, so they’re going into this safe area.

as Dylan Thomas, a well renowned poet from swansea said

“An ugly, lovely town ... crawling, sprawling ... by the side of a long and splendid curving shore. This sea-town was my world

this was before the film twin town carved out its more modern ( and I would say, more accurate version, a pretty shitty city).
anyone easily offended shouldn’t watch this clip from said film , or watch the whole thing on YouTube with Rhys ifans making his debut.

anyway, this is

my ugly, lovely town #1

A511C6B0-E8E9-4788-9993-B155E1D9AF3E.jpeg

if anyone has or does watch this film, the hearse the twins pinched belonged to my firm, and I actually made the coffin shown in the end scenes. criminally, my colleagues got a feature as extras in the film, my part wasn’t used. Still, 2 days with all the food and drink I could eat and meeting the cast was pretty cool.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback guys, I’m still experimenting but going back to my techniques ( while trying a few new ways in affinity to do things). I’ve decided to embrace the lacklustre environment of my local town centre and try to make some sort of mini series from it.
a re edit of a latest image of a lady I posted is going to be done but I’m jus
t seeing if this kickstarts me again.
None of them, in my opinion are good enough to put in the mono challenges, so they’re going into this safe area.

as Dylan Thomas, a well renowned poet from swansea said

“An ugly, lovely town ... crawling, sprawling ... by the side of a long and splendid curving shore. This sea-town was my world

this was before the film twin town carved out its more modern ( and I would say, more accurate version, a pretty shitty city).
anyone easily offended shouldn’t watch this clip from said film , or watch the whole thing on YouTube with Rhys ifans making his debut.

anyway, this is

my ugly, lovely town #1

View attachment 183744

if anyone has or does watch this film, the hearse the twins pinched belonged to my firm, and I actually made the coffin shown in the end scenes. criminally, my colleagues got a feature as extras in the film, my part wasn’t used. Still, 2 days with all the food and drink I could eat and meeting the cast was pretty cool.
Just my opinion, the tones and general feel are definitely run down town. Its a shame she is right at the edge of the frame, human eyes track from left to right, so we immediately see her and are left with not much more. Good back story as well Ric, I've not watched that film, I think I should.

Just my opinion, the tones and general feel are definitely run down town. Its a shame she is right at the edge of the frame, human eyes track from left to right, so we immediately see her and are left with not much more. Good back story as well Ric, I've not watched that film, I think I should.
Damn, my aim didn’t work then? I wanted to emphasise emptiness. I cropped the left to bring her right over and kept the full grill fronted shop in the shot. I also didn’t want to detract from her with tattoos. I’d bin it if I only viewed it on the phone but I’m pleased with it on the iPad.

Damn, my aim didn’t work then? I wanted to emphasise emptiness. I cropped the left to bring her right over and kept the full grill fronted shop in the shot. I also didn’t want to detract from her with tattoos. I’d bin it if I only viewed it on the phone but I’m pleased with it on the iPad.
Maybe you need to harness your inner William Eggleston Ric

No it worked partially, its just that I feel she is too close to the edge of the frame. The general tone of the image works though.

Maybe you need to harness your inner William Eggleston Ric
I looked him up after that
comment and my first thought was REALLY? My images are that boring? But then I read some articles about how 90% or more photographers don’t see past a subject in the photograph. Then I looked at his colour and read interiews. That bloke was a very clever man.
That comment may have just turned my whole perception of photography on its head and if his photos are still in the tate museum, I’m making sure I go see them.
im Off to Amazon to see if there’s a book on him now.

I looked him up after that
comment and my first thought was REALLY? My images are that boring? But then I read some articles about how 90% or more photographers don’t see past a subject in the photograph. Then I looked at his colour and read interiews. That bloke was a very clever man.
That comment may have just turned my whole perception of photography on its head and if his photos are still in the tate museum, I’m making sure I go see them.
im Off to Amazon to see if there’s a book on him now.
I suspect there are many books on Eggleston. We did a challenge HERE to emulate him, was that before your time here Ric?

I suspect there are many books on Eggleston. We did a challenge HERE to emulate him, was that before your time here Ric?
I wasn’t visiting regularly at that time John. There’s some good images in that thread. I think his images, from what I’ve looked at so far, we’re NOT tack sharp, almost slide type?

Being the person I am, I will have to see if I can recreate the colour and appearance inside affinity photo after. I’ve reached a point where I need to study/ learn more about colour I think, rather than slap mono on something and manipulate darkness and light.

I also love the fact he was just doing things different to the so called old masters, and that he probably did more by sticking to his guns and not feeling the need to explain his work.
Probably why so many seen his work as boring? They just focused on one thing and just didn’t see it?

Last edited:
I wasn’t visiting regularly at that time John. There’s some good images in that thread. I think his images, from what I’ve looked at so far, we’re NOT tack sharp, almost slide type?

Being the person I am, I will have to see if I can recreate the colour and appearance i
nside affinity photo lafter. I’ve reached a point where I need to study/ learn more about colour I think, rather than slap mono on something and manipulate darkness and light.

I also love the fact he was just doing things different to the so called old masters, and that he probably did more by sticking to his guns and not feeling the need to explain his work.
Probably why so many seen his work as boring? They just focused on one thing and just didn’t see it?
I think we missed the boat slightly with that challenge as a great many of the images were people free, which Eggleston obviously did very well. But we kind of forgot a great deal of what he did included humans as well. But for most of us its a tough call.

I'm definitely an Eggleston fan, his use of colour is extraordinary, esp then, when only b/w was considered fine art.

Back
Top Bottom