Ric’s journey without direction

I think we missed the boat slightly with that challenge as a great many of the images were people free, which Eggleston obviously did very well. But we kind of forgot a great deal of what he did included humans as well. But for most of us its a tough call.

I'm definitely an Eggleston fan, his use of colour is extraordinary, esp then, when only b/w was considered fine art.
Id never heard of him. Im currently walking around work trying to capture some so called mundane objects.
Its going to be hard but revisiting my ugly town is going to be a necessity i think.

Id never heard of him. Im currently walking around work trying to capture some so called mundane objects.
Its going to be hard but revisiting my ugly town is going to be a necessity i think.
Going on your previous post, you work at at Undertakers? Or am I barking up the wrong tree!!

Thanks for the feedback guys, I’m still experimenting but going back to my techniques ( while trying a few new ways in affinity to do things). I’ve decided to embrace the lacklustre environment of my local town centre and try to make some sort of mini series from it.
a re edit of a latest image of a lady I posted is going to be done but I’m jus
t seeing if this kickstarts me again.
None of them, in my opinion are good enough to put in the mono challenges, so they’re going into this safe area.

as Dylan Thomas, a well renowned poet from swansea said

“An ugly, lovely town ... crawling, sprawling ... by the side of a long and splendid curving shore. This sea-town was my world

this was before the film twin town carved out its more modern ( and I would say, more accurate version, a pretty shitty city).
anyone easily offended shouldn’t watch this clip from said film , or watch the whole thing on YouTube with Rhys ifans making his debut.

anyway, this is

my ugly, lovely town #1

View attachment 183744

if anyone has or does watch this film, the hearse the twins pinched belonged to my firm, and I actually made the coffin shown in the end scenes. criminally, my colleagues got a feature as extras in the film, my part wasn’t used. Still, 2 days with all the food and drink I could eat and meeting the cast was pretty cool.

Just my opinion, the tones and general feel are definitely run down town. Its a shame she is right at the edge of the frame, human eyes track from left to right, so we immediately see her and are left with not much more. Good back story as well Ric, I've not watched that film, I think I should.
In my case it was the white strip on the right that caught my eye first, then wandered to the women who seems to look away in disgust. I think it’s pretty effective.

In my case it was the white strip on the right that caught my eye first, then wandered to the women who seems to look away in disgust. I think it’s pretty effective.
And Ric, here's the difficulty with getting feedback on images. Unlike Star, my eyes went first to the woman, next to the vertical white strip, then to the brighter part of the wet pavement, and finally back to the woman and stuck there as if she were a magnet, wondering what she's looking at off to the side. For me, she's so prominent in the frame, everything else seems like background rather than subject.

Different people are going to see different things. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.

I looked him up after that
comment and my first thought was REALLY? My images are that boring? But then I read some articles about how 90% or more photographers don’t see past a subject in the photograph. Then I looked at his colour and read interiews. That bloke was a very clever man.
That comment may have just turned my whole perception of photography on its head and if his photos are still in the tate museum, I’m making sure I go see them.
im Off to Amazon to see if there’s a book on him now.
Don’t get too excited about the book, I think it’s $300….. anyway I found him through our challenge and he certainly gave me a different perspective. Check out his YouTube movie, I’m not into watching videos but this one was worth the time

And Ric, here's the difficulty with getting feedback on images. Unlike Star, my eyes went first to the woman, next to the vertical white strip, then to the brighter part of the wet pavement, and finally back to the woman and stuck there as if she were a magnet, wondering what she's looking at off to the side. For me, she's so prominent in the frame, everything else seems like background rather than subject.

Different people are going to see different things. Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
Exactly, we all have different ideas. I also believe that if you can’t handle opinions, then you shouldn’t share your work. I love the negative feedback just as much as positive personally. Didn’t Eggleston say something like that himself?
youve just got to decide if doing something different ie- follow the rules, t
akes your identity or enjoyment out of it.

Don’t get too excited about the book, I think it’s $300….. anyway I found him through our challenge and he certainly gave me a different perspective. Check out his YouTube movie, I’m not into watching videos but this one was worth the time
Errrr, yeah one of them is expensive. A shame that. I’ll look up the video for sure. He is becoming a kind of wake up call for me. It’ll be interesting where this takes me.

I thought this article was informative and short
Yes, I’ve read that Kevin but thank you. I’m spending a bit of time trying to get colour editing. I’ve got apps now with all the filters but I want to see how colour works without affecting black and white tones and just going through some colour theory.
im starting to understand why most prefer to Just use an app or download LUT’s now.

Yes, I’ve read that Kevin but thank you. I’m spending a bit of time trying to get colour editing. I’ve got apps now with all the filters but I want to see how colour works without affecting black and white tones and just going through some colour theory.
im starting to understand why most prefer to Just use an app or download LUT’s now.
Another classic photographer you might enjoy is Ernst Haas, especially his New York photos. He was an early user of color film and a master of using color in street photography.

A friend asked me tonight to depict how I felt about where I’m heading with my photography with me being in a rut. He is trying to grasp the iPhone XS and editing at the moment.
we set each other a task. For the other person to pick just one app and also a photo. So, my photo was picked and he picked iColorama knowing damn well Im Uncomfortable with it. The result is so far away from my normal stuff. Not a photo anymore but that wasn’t the aim.
The title he picked for it ( before I created it), and I had to interpret was - Rics disorientated passageway.
I admit I laughed at it.

View attachment 183708
Chosen for entry into IOTM-July.

Another classic photographer you might enjoy is Ernst Haas, especially his New York photos. He was an early user of color film and a master of using color in street photography.
Just checked out his site, the New York photos are great, loved his reflection shots. But equally impressive we’re his Asian shots. Thanks Ted

The past few days has seen my photography journey crash around me. Then some very cruel people on this forum introduced me to William eggleston which became an obsession. After coming close colour wise I quickly realised that, while the colour he created was nothing short of genius, the task of recreating it digitally was a step too far even with filter apps. As well as that, the novelty of colour kind of waned. never in a million years did I think colour would be harder than mono ( for me anyway).
so grasping the theory of eggleston loosely but keep it as black and white as he started out with is my take on it.
So maybe direction is being carved out but my aim to take photos I’d never have looked at for it’s ordinary nature, and to be frank, boring value, has intrigued me and I will make a place on the internet for it for my reference but I Shant bore you guys with all of them.

the image that started it all………

9F5F4D06-DA11-4E4B-8DE0-F0E720127BBF.jpeg

lightroom and affinity.

oh and a massive thank you to sinnerjohn , you helped me more than you realise.

Last edited:
The past few days has seen my photography journey crash around me. Then some very cruel people on this forum introduced me to William eggleston which became an obsession. After coming close colour wise I quickly realised that, while the colour he created was nothing short of genius, the task of recreating it digitally was a step too far even with filter apps. As well as that, the novelty of colour kind of waned. never in a million years did I think colour would be harder than mono ( for me anyway).
so grasping the theory of eggleston loosely but keep it as black and white as he started out with is my take on it.
So maybe direction is being carved out but my aim to take photos I’d never have looked at for it’s ordinary nature, and to be frank, boring value, has intrigued me and I will make a place on the internet for it for my reference but I Shant bore you guys with all of them.

the image that started it all………

View attachment 184005

lightroom and affinity.

oh and a massive thank you to sinnerjohn , you helped me more than you realise.
Colour can be a tough one to master Ric, god knows I've tried. But I'd rather look at your drying socks any day than a 1000 AI generated 'works of art'.

Colour can be a tough one to master Ric, god knows I've tried. But I'd rather look at your drying socks any day than a 1000 AI generated 'works of art'.
Yes, reckon fine tuning mono is more imortant than learning colour ( wasnt happy just clicking for a filter to colour change an image). Subject matter is more important and am trying to recreate a few lesser known images Eggleston created.
ps- the minging looking socks are actually old socks I have to wear on one leg due to high risk of DVT blood clots Just in case anyone out there thinks I wear what we brits call, womens pop socks :whistle::lmao:

Yes, reckon fine tuning mono is more imortant than learning colour ( wasnt happy just clicking for a filter to colour change an image). Subject matter is more important and am trying to recreate a few lesser known images Eggleston created.
ps- the minging looking socks are actually old socks I have to wear on one leg due to high risk of DVT blood clots Just in case anyone out there thinks I wear what we brits call, womens pop socks :whistle::lmao:
Well I wasn't going to mention the socks :whistle:

Back
Top Bottom