Rizole Overexposed

Newlands.
20201108_130725-01.jpeg

That Sinking Feeling Retrospective.
Talking photography with my mate Jade today and she thought I should print these out as a set. She also said she thought they had a certain feminist narrative in them, citing The Dinner table by Judy Chicago and Griselda Pollock, art historian and cultural analyst of international, postcolonial feminist studies as reference points.
So I thought I'd do a retrospective here. They've not all been posted here on other threads but most have.
This was two years ago.
20180810_140408_001-01.jpeg
This was a couple of days ago. Admittedly it needs a clean but the degradation in the surface structure is clear imo.

20201031_121940-01.jpeg

Last edited:
20190125_111617-01.jpeg

20190304_113639-01_1551904834063-01.jpeg

A possibly interesting side note is that all of these spoons we're stolen appropriated by me in my youth from cafe's, pubs, restaurants, where ever. Obviously I grew out of the behaviour but not before I'd collected about a couple of hundred tea spoons.
So there was a refurb at work and afterward, no spoons. Digging into my collection, I took 20 odd spoons into work for general use. These pictures could not have happened quite like they did if it wasn't for my thieving aquisitive pre-pubescent self.

Last edited:
View attachment 161994

View attachment 161995

A possibly interesting side note is that all of these spoons we're stolen appropriated by me in my youth from cafe's, pubs, restaurants, where ever. Obviously I grew out of the behaviour but not before I'd collected about a couple of hundred tea spoons.
So there was a refurb at work and afterward, no spoons. Digging into my collection, I took 20 odd spoons into work for general use. These pictures could not have happened quite like they did if it wasn't for my thieving aquisitive pre-pubescent self.
I did the same with beer glasses in my misspent youth

I did the same with beer glasses in my misspent youth
I also had a beer mat collection. At around 13, me and my mates went round pub bins, back doors and beer gardens looking for beer mats. I had older sisters who worked at pubs at times. One of them brought back a mint set of babycham astrology mats in a plastic bag from her work once.
Totally worthless years later of course but it's the process, not the result that matters.
il_570xN.681541588_iafs.jpg

Last edited:
I also had a beer mat collection. At around 13, me and my mates went round pub bins, back doors and beer gardens looking for beer mats. I had older sisters who worked at pubs at times. One of them brought back a mint set of babycham astrology mats in a plastic bag from her work once.
Totally worthless years later of course but it's the process, not the result that matters.
il_570xN.681541588_iafs.jpg
Definitely the process

You need to put your dollar down then I'm afraid :cool:
Well I've done a couple of days research using the android authority page on camera sensors as a start point and have come to the following conclusion.
Of the top camera phones as agreed by the majority of sites I looked at I've discounted the following:
Too expensive. (If I'm going to spend that kind of money I'm probably better off looking at an iPhone.)
  • Samsung S20 Plus
  • Oppo Find X2 Pro
Poor battery: Xiaomi Mi Note 10
No IP rating and no wireless charging: Vivo X50 Pro Plus (although this has an intriguing gimbal mechanism built in that's better than optical and electronic image stabalisation on thier own)

So that leaves 2 phones on my list. Huawei P40 Pro and the OnePlus 8 Pro.

BatteryCamera sensorWireless chargingIP RatingStorageDXOMark ratingCost
P40 Pro4200mAh0.78125YesIP68128-512GB132£699
OnePlus 8 Pro4510mAh0.6993YesIP68128-256GB118£799

I'm coming down on the side of a P40 Pro but I have a timing issue. If I get a contract with a P40 I'm looking at £1,200 over a 24 month period, minimum. If I stay with my current mobile provider and buy the phone right out I'm looking at a bill of £891 over a 24 month period, that £300 difference. Currently I don't have that kind of money and can't splash the cash but am likely to have in the near future.
So while the decision making is pretty much done now, I have to be patient before I can act on it. :sleep:

Well I've done a couple of days research using the android authority page on camera sensors as a start point and have come to the following conclusion.
Of the top camera phones as agreed by the majority of sites I looked at I've discounted the following:
Too expensive. (If I'm going to spend that kind of money I'm probably better off looking at an iPhone.)
  • Samsung S20 Plus
  • Oppo Find X2 Pro
No IP rating and no wireless charging: Vivo X50 Pro Plus (although this has an intriguing gimbal mechanism built in that's better than optical and electronic image stabalisation on thier own)

I'm coming down on the side of a P40 Pro but I have a timing issue. If I get a contract with a P40 I'm looking at £1,200 over a 24 month period, minimum. If I stay with my current mobile provider and buy the phone right out I'm looking at a bill of £891 over a 24 month period, that £300 difference. Currently I don't have that kind of money and can't splash the cash but am likely to have in the near future.
So while the decision making is pretty much done now, I have to be patient before I can act on it. :sleep:
You can find some discussions of the P40 in these two forums at DP Review:

• Samsung S20 Plus
  • Oppo Find X2 Pro

No Pixel in your considerations? The P40 pro is definitely on my radar but unlike you I do rely quite a bit on Google.
Could you get Snapseed on the P40? I also have a VSCO sub that wouldn't work and I doubt whether LRM would work as smoothly.

I have never purchased a top of the range smartphone outright, like you I can't justify spending upwards of £800 on a phone, I'd always have a contract. But you have to add up what the phone is worth then add 2 years worth of data and calls, there usually isn't a great deal in it.

The OnePlus has had some iffy reviews about the camera, don't think I'd rush to get one. As well as the Pixel 5 (£599), have you looked at Xiaomi and the Samsung S20 FE ?

Last edited:
No Pixel in your considerations? The P40 pro is definitely on my radar but unlike you I do rely quite a bit on Google.
Could you get Snapseed on the P40? I also have a VSCO sub that wouldn't work and I doubt whether LRM would work as smoothly.

I have never purchased a top of the range smartphone outright, like you I can't justify spending upwards of £800 on a phone, I'd always have a contract. But you have to add up what the phone is worth then add 2 years worth of data and calls, there usually isn't a great deal in it.

The OnePlus has had some iffy reviews about the camera, don't think I'd rush to get one. As well as the Pixel 5 (£599), have you looked at Xiaomi and the Samsung S20 FE ?
If you rely on Google I'd probably avoid the P40. Apart from google maps I've been largely google free for 4 years on my phone anyway so that doesn't bother me but I've also seen recommendations for good google map replacements recently.

Xiaomi and s20 fe both get poor battery life in reviews. I'm not fussed about 5G, 4G has been fast enough for everything I've wanted to do so far.

You can find some discussions of the P40 in these two forums at DP Review:

Hummmm... there's difficulty with raw images having a green cast to the shadows. Apparently because it uses a RYYB sensor, not the RGB that most mobiles use. That's not a deal breaker but if a camera supports RAW, I want to be able to use it at some point so not ideal.

View attachment 161994

View attachment 161995

I was always very boring growing up in that sense (and still am), the most daring thing I did was to steal the cutlery from the airplane once, which was metal and engraved with the airline’s logo. That was the time when flying overseas was considered an event (which of course still is for many people in the world). But since flights are much more accessible nowadays, stealing the plane’s cutlery now would be very close to being weird and not very hygienic!

That Sinking Feeling Retrospective.
Talking photography with my mate Jade today and she thought I should print these out as a set. She also said she thought they had a certain feminist narrative in them, citing The Dinner table by Judy Chicago and Griselda Pollock, art historian and cultural analyst of international, postcolonial feminist studies as reference points.
So I thought I'd do a retrospective here. They've not all been posted here on other threads but most have.
This was two years ago.
View attachment 161986This was a couple of days ago. Admittedly it needs a clean but the degradation in the surface structure is clear imo.

View attachment 161987

One of the things I like about all of these pics is there's been no staging. All we're taken as found.
Nothing but the kitchen sink.
View attachment 161988

View attachment 161989

View attachment 161990

And related, in as much as it's an overlooked domestic whatsit...That tea making tray at work over a few months evolution.
View attachment 161991

View attachment 161992
View attachment 161993

View attachment 161994

View attachment 161995

These are all among my fave RizoleWorks... especially the tea tray. :inlove: I can see those displayed in an art gallery exhibition.

Very lean year so far for photos.
Doing some file management I stumbled accross my spreadsheet from a couple of years ago and added in the last 2 years figures for comparison.
Clipboard02.jpg

So this shows 8 years of activity. Total pictures taken each year is counted in GBs. The gray line is the percentage of the total pics that ended up in my "Published" folder. By published, I'm including all the pictures that have been or I consider to be worth showing.

The amount of pictures I was taking was already on the increase but when I joined Mobitog in 2016 they more than doubled and stayed that way for the next two years. Despite taking many more pics, the amount I published rose slightly but stayed fairly stable.

2019 saw my total pictures fall by over 1/3 but my percentage published pictures nearly double. All of which I take to mean my quantity is falling but my quality is rising.

Last year, because of covid, my total pictures fell to pre-mobitog levels (who knows what would have happened in a normal year) but my percentage published, many of which ended up on this thread, has still stayed level with 2019.

This analysis has been bought to you by excel and a deep, late night, winter lockdown ennui.

Back
Top Bottom