Rizole Overexposed

And there's a similar problem with both these in the dark, fine detail of the trees.
Look at the difference between the fine structure in the branches against the bright sky on the right compated with that mess sandwiched between the fake owl and roof.
View attachment 165258

In this one the detail is mostly good but there are patches where the branches end up smudged again.
View attachment 165259
View attachment 165260

I'm thinking this is less an issue with the optics and more a computational problem where the software just shrugs and does the best it can. Not sure if I can explain why I think that's going on but there it is.
Gosh, that’s really not good. Massively disappointing for such an expensive phone although you are getting some fab shots. Maybe future updates will correct it. Has there been any chatter about it?

Last edited:
And although I tend to push the sliders a bit further to the right than strictly necessary and end up oversaturated for preference, the better the equipment I get the more I find I'm after a natural feel to my pic.
I’ve found that too. I find myself increasing the shadows these days rather than reducing them.

I've never taken a picture of a wild rabbit on a mobile before though. This is around 60X. Not great but you can see what it is without too much loss if information.
I got curious. 60x on a smartphone is around a 1600mm equivalent in focal length, I think. A quality 800mm Canon or Nikon DSLR lens runs $13,000 to $16,000 US. There are cheapie 1600mm no-name DSLR lenses around $200 US, but I susect quality suffers there.

I got curious. 60x on a smartphone is around a 1600mm equivalent in focal length, I think. A quality 800mm Canon or Nikon DSLR lens runs $13,000 to $16,000 US. There are cheapie 1600mm no-name DSLR lenses around $200 US, but I susect quality suffers there.
On the nose. Pic info says a focal length of 1589mm.
Focal length is something I have only a hazy grasp of. I can see I'm going to have to read up on it.
Has there been an chatter about it?
I've been on the forums sorting out phone things so far and not dug down into the camera but it's on my to do list.

I cracked open the manual on the camera for the first time today and learnt something new, who'da thunk?

As with my old camera you tap the screen where you want to focus and use a slider to brighten and darken the image. However, on my P40, the focus and brightness can be moved around the screen/image, idenpendant of each other. So I can focus on one thing and take my light levels from another. Useful.

The camera will take 100 burst shots in a row. I tried it and created a set of files that were 450mb big. Although I have the storage capacity I'm not sure I can think of a situation where I'd ever need 100 shots in a burst.

In the "more" settings of the camera there's Light Painting with 4 different modes. I only had a go at the "silky water" one today but there's also traffic, light graffiti and star trails.

Here's a test shot. All good on the face of it.
IMG_20210318_142426.jpg

This is the one that piqued my interest though. Another test shot of the water but look what happened to moving people...nice ghost images. Looking forward to getting back to crowds and seeing what else I can do with that.
IMG_20210318_143949.jpg

One of the things that's disappointing me a little is the poor handling of dark or difficult lighting.
Has there been any chatter about it?
I've been chatting with my mate Jade and she thinks it's an anti-aliasing problem so I've been reading around on that, on zoom on the P40 pro+ and
checking out the tech specs.

After that I went back to the spot I took a picture I had a moan about further up the thread, complaining specifically about...
that mess sandwiched between the fake owl and roof
img_20210217_150656-01-jpeg.165258

And this time I tookthe same shot at different zooms. Here's the big suprise for me...10X zoom blows lower zooms out of the water. Here's 5X and 10X side by side. in the 10X shot, that mess between the fake owl and roof really isn't a mess at all.
anti aliasing.jpg

Detail wise I'm very happy. However, look at the right hand side of the drain pipe and you can see a line of blue fringing it. Hmmmm....
You would need other phones on hand to compare. How would another make/model handle such conditions?
That's a fair point so here's my Samsung's effort, zoomed in and blown up
20210318_143305.jpg

I'm unlikely to complain about my P40 now I've compared it to my old phone again.

From the reviews I've checked, the 3X and 10X optical zoom are highly praised. Zoom levels between those points don't look quite so good. The P40 Pro+ uses two lenses for optical zoom. I'll need to dig deeper to be sure but I get the impression 3x and 10X use one lens each and zooms in between a combination. I had difficulty replicating excellent 3X detail but the point where the camera changes between lenses is not an absolute fixed zoom level and even seems different depending on whether you're zooming out or in. [SHRUGS]
Here's my zoom comparison...

1616088754463.jpeg

The wide angle shows where the focus of the pics are for reference. Again, in terms of detail I'm very happy with the 10X.
The 3X doesn't look very good but I'll play some more, see if I can't make that work better for me. I'm hoping I won't have to continually stand 10X further back from my subject in order to get my best shots.

Last edited:
Found ruins on a the map, got 'Er in lockdown to drive me to the middle of nowhere and did 12k.
Starting at Widdop and following the pennine way foot path and after around an hour and a half I crested the top of the hill. Heres the view looking back. Taken in Raw.
IMG_20210410_142855-02-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Turns out the ruins are Top Withins, the property that's supposed to be what Wuthering Heights is based on.
IMG_20210410_145201-01-01.jpeg

The walk from Widdop was pretty empty and I only saw a few others out there. Soon as I was on the Bronte side of the hill the place was riddled with people. Spot the jogger.
IMG_20210410_145424-01.jpeg

IMG_20210410_145557.jpg

Last edited:
Turns out the ruins are Top Withins, the property that's supposed to be what Wuthering Heights is based on.
View attachment 166238
The walk from Widdop was pretty empty and I only saw a few others out there. Soon as I was on the Bronte side of the hill the place was riddled with people. Spot the jogger.
View attachment 166239
View attachment 166240
I sense a certain amount of frustration in the wording of that plaque. "Yes yes, we know it doesn't look like what she described. Stop asking!"

Beautiful part of the world, don't ever take it for granted just because its on your doorstep.
I don't, especially since lockdown, although I'm running out of places I've not been to on my doorstep.
My mate Jade who uses a "real" camera moved to scotland last year because there's nowhere within a couple of hours drive she's not photographed over the 30 odd years she lived here.

I don't, especially since lockdown, although I'm running out of places I've not been to on my doorstep.
My mate Jade who uses a "real" camera moved to scotland last year because there's nowhere within a couple of hours drive she's not photographed over the 30 odd years she lived here.
Some years ago I visited your part of the world and I remember riding (motorcycle) up to the moors and stopping beside the road and being completely blown away by the nothingness of the place and the silence! No trees, no houses nothing, for as far as the eye could see, 'Out on the wiley, windy moors' as Kate Bush sang. From someone who'd lived all his life in the industrial Midlands it was breathtaking.

Do you think processing in RAW made it a better image?
Yes. The main difference at first glance is how much the sky highlights are blown out on the jpeg compared with the raw. The phone takes both at the same time when in Raw mode so the these are the same pic.
IMG_20210410_142855-01.jpeg
IMG_20210410_142855-02.jpeg

I also posted a zoomed in section of the clouds in the RAW thread. The detail's clearer in RAW
clipboard01-jpg.166212

Yes. The main difference at first glance is how much the sky highlights are blown out on the jpeg compared with the raw. The phone takes both at the same time when in Raw mode so the these are the same pic.
View attachment 166297View attachment 166298

I also posted a zoomed in section of the clouds in the RAW thread. The detail's clearer in RAW
clipboard01-jpg.166212
Good example. I know you posted the clouds on the 'other' thread but they just look like grainy clouds to me.
Its interesting to see the full picture, thanks for that.
Still not sure I want to switch on RAW though :lol:

Some years ago I visited your part of the world and I remember riding (motorcycle) up to the moors and stopping beside the road and being completely blown away by the nothingness of the place and the silence! No trees, no houses nothing, for as far as the eye could see, 'Out on the wiley, windy moors' as Kate Bush sang. From someone who'd lived all his life in the industrial Midlands it was breathtaking.
My BF from childhood is an English teacher and when she came over to visit me from SA in the early 90s we did a ‘Bronte trip’ with a trip to the Moors and to Haworth amongst other things. It still sits high in my special memories and probably more so when I discovered that my Mom’s ancestors came from West Riding, mostly ‘engineers’ in the coal mines. There were a couple of sad stories.

View attachment 166297View attachment 166298

clipboard01-jpg.166212
Significant difference, I would say.

The more you push exposure to the edge (light or dark) the more you will benefit from RAW and its higher dynamic range. The same with plenty of processing (as most filters will decrease your image data), high dynamic range in regards of the light in your shot.

Back
Top Bottom