Rizole Overexposed

One of the things I'm loving about this camera is the amount of detail that would be lost compared with my last.
It's letting me take some quite low light pics and get the shot I could see in post.
Before and after.

IMG_20210419_195746.jpg
IMG_20210419_195746-01.jpeg

This week I learnt that, because different frequencies of light bend differently when they enter the eye, they have different focal points, some behind the retina, some infront and some bang on. Some animal eyes compensate by having concentric rings of different thickness in thier lens bringing the different wavelengths back into focus and so greater detail perception in the periphery of thier vision. In effect, varifocal lenses.

That system breaks down in very bright light when the iris becomes small and covers the concentric rings in the lens. And this is why some animals have a slit iris instead of a circular one, they can still close up but now there's the slits that allow light to enter the eye through the varifocal bits of lens.
IMG_20210501_134409.jpg

Cropped in close from the above pic.
IMG_20210501_134409-04.jpeg

Last edited:
This week I learnt that, because different frequencies of light bend differently when they enter the eye, they have different focal points, some behind the retina, some infront and some bang on. Some animal eyes compensate by having concentric rings of different thickness in thier lens bringing the different wavelengths back into focus and so greater detail perception in the periphery of thier vision. In effect, varifocal lenses.

That system breaks down in very bright light when the iris becomes small and covers the concentric rings in the lens. And this is why some animals have a slit iris instead of a circular one, they can still close up but now there's the slits that allow light to enter the eye through the varifocal bits of lens.
View attachment 166762
View attachment 166763
Fantastic detail on this Rizole.

View attachment 166762
View attachment 166763
OMG!! I can see the window to his soul!!! Or some window, anyway. Amazing detail.

I'm really pleased with these. They're not great pics but getting action shots isn't always easy and with sports you're often too far away to get meaningful shots.
These are at 3x and 10x zoom. What really makes me happy is that church in the background. It's 2 miles away and 200 meters up from where I was when I took these. I've said it before but I'm loving the zoom on this thing.
IMG_20210518_180820-01.jpeg
IMG_20210518_180932_045-01.jpeg

Triple exposure. The boy and ball are from different pics. The swing position of the boy in the original wasn't as interesting/dynamic and the ball gives the eye something else to look at in the pic.
IMG_20210518_181046-01.jpeg

I'm really pleased with these. They're not great pics but getting action shots isn't always easy and with sports you're often too far away to get meaningful shots.
These are at 3x and 10x zoom. What really makes me happy is that church in the background. It's 2 miles away and 200 meters up from where I was when I took these. I've said it before but I'm loving the zoom on this thing.
View attachment 167337View attachment 167338
Triple exposure. The boy and ball are from different pics. The swing position of the boy in the original wasn't as interesting/dynamic and the ball gives the eye something else to look at in the pic.
View attachment 167339

Just a little contrast, wamth and structure added to this.

View attachment 167340

View attachment 167341
I am very impressed with the Huawei - the zoom on the iPhone isn’t nearly as good.

Found a couple of Australian invaders in the garden this week.
The Australian flatworm, Australoplana sanguinea.
At least that's what I think it is and can't find anything else that it might be.
They eat earth worms.
IMG_20210605_155059.jpg

And the Land hopper, Arcitalitrus dorrieni.
The second time I've come across these in the garden.
IMG_20210606_102200-01.jpeg

The UK has sand hoppers, you'll probably have seen them in beeched seaweed and around the tide line. They jump to avoid predators and kids with spades.
Landhoopers are related to and behave just like sand hoppers. The only land living crustacean in the UK.
What's surprised me is finding them in our garden. From what I've read they are both invasive but not widespread. Of course they could be more widespread than people think. What kind of nerd pays attention to the invertebrates in their garden enough to look them up? There's probably not that many of us.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom