Rizole Overexposed

I've been using a standing desk for a good 15 years on and off, mostly on.
It used to be, in my job that I had a sit down role half the time and used my standing desk the rest of the time. A nice variety, suited me fine.
Then my role changed and the majority of my time was at my desk. Variety gone. A day standing in one position is just too hard on feet and legs. I've worked retail and factory jobs where you're on your feet all day but not in one place. I had to lose my standing desk.

Here's my solution...I stole borrowed some ideas from a commercial product and made myself this.

The initial proof of concept followed by my first prototype.
Clipboard02.jpg

The beauty of this is that it's held upright by it's own weight. No screws, fixings, nothing. With only 4 parts, which slot together, it comes apart and assembles in under a minute.

I took it to work today for the final test. It takes two monitors no problem. No overbalancing problem with only the large monitor at the far left on the shelf.
198346626_310702474049931_7673972259684852552_n.jpg

This is still only a prototype. My work desk is lower than my home desk and the keyboard shelf was too low at work so I'll need another keyboard slot higher up in the main upright to make it work.

It's made from 18mm MDF, which seems strong enough but is quite heavy so this isn't a portable solution. I'll need to research materials to lighten it and still keep the strength. I'm thinking hardwoods or even plyboard if I'm not to fussed about the aesthetics. I've never done anything quite like this so it's all new to me.

The prototype has cost less than £15. It'll be more with better mateials but not the £250-£350 for the commercial product.

Bonus cat field testing the prototype.
188953212_299561278497384_353465187078937402_n.jpg

Last edited:
It used to be, in my job that I had a sit down role half the time and used my standing desk the rest of the time. A nice variety, suited me fine.
Then my role changed and the majority of my time was at my desk. Variety gone. A day standing in one position is just too hard on feet and legs. I've worked retail and factory jobs where you're on your feet all day but not in one place. I had to lose my standing desk.

Here's my solution...I stole borrowed some ideas from a commercial product and made myself this.

View attachment 167867
The beauty of this is that it's held upright by it's own weight. No screws, fixings, nothing. With only 4 parts, which slot together, it comes apart and assembles in under a minute.

I took it to work today for the final test. It takes two monitors no problem. No overbalancing problem with only the large monitor at the far left on the shelf.
View attachment 167866

This is still only a prototype. My work desk is lower than my home desk and the keyboard shelf was too low at work so I'll need another keyboard slot higher up in the main upright to make it work.

It's made from 18mm MDF, which seems strong enough but is quite heavy so this isn't a portable solution. I'll need to research materials to lighten it and still keep the strength. I'm thinking hardwoods or even plyboard if I'm not to fussed about the aesthetics. I've never done anything quite like this so it's all new to me.

The prototype has cost less than £15. It'll be more with better mateials but not the £250-£350 for the commercial product.

View attachment 167868
Nice work, and very wise to have it cat-tested before putting it to work.

View attachment 167867

View attachment 167866

View attachment 167868
Is this how you are going to make your millions?

View attachment 167867

View attachment 167866

View attachment 167868

Is this how you are going to make your millions?
As long as it’s been cat tested, I’d buy one!!!

View attachment 167867

View attachment 167866

View attachment 167868
Call me confused but what do you do when you want to sit down. Take everything apart?

Exactly that. It's 4 sections that just slot together. They lean against a wall when taken down with a combined width of around 3 inches or 7cm.
View attachment 167997View attachment 167996
Not sure I could be bovered to put it all up again. If it was me I’d prefer something that collapses on hinges so you just lower it.

How about an arm that you can just lower. Something like this that you could rig yourself?

Not sure I could be bovered to put it all up again. If it was me I’d prefer something that collapses on hinges so you just lower it.

How about an arm that you can just lower. Something like this that you could rig yourself?
That wouldn't work for me, I don't have a laptop at home or work. Where's me keyboard, coffee and biccies gonna go?

Besides, the the amount of time and effort involved in errecting and collapsing it is less than putting the wheelie bin out for the bin men or hovering a floor in a small room or putting a load of washing in the machine and setting it going.
For those of us with a desk job, regular standing has benefits over and above the sedentry sitting all day and then working out/exercising to offset it. It strengthens your back muscles, burns 10% more calories than sitting and has other health benefits.

That wouldn't work for me, I don't have a laptop at home or work. Where's me keyboard, coffee and biccies gonna go?

Besides, the the amount of time and effort involved in errecting and collapsing it is less than putting the wheelie bin out for the bin men or hovering a floor in a small room or putting a load of washing in the machine and setting it going.
For those of us with a desk job, regular standing has benefits over and above the sedentry sitting all day and then working out/exercising to offset it. It strengthens your back muscles, burns 10% more calories than sitting and has other health benefits.
I’m not disputing the value of standing, just wondered if there was an easier way to incorporate both but if it works for you then cool.

Back
Top Bottom