Rizole Overexposed

Chickens arrive in a couple of hours. After a family check in the names will be Eggsmarellda, Shelly and Bob.
IMG_20210626_151215.jpg

They're here and the names fit. It's clear who's the boss and who's at the bottom of the pecking order. So Queen Eggsmarellda is top hen, Shellby next and at the bottom is Bob. Bob is the perfect name as she gets pecked the most so has to keep bobbing down out of the way.
No good pics so far, they've travelled up from Bognor today and we're letting them decompress and get used to their new home. Plenty of time to get a lens up at 'em.
IMG_20210626_203453.jpg

They're here and the names fit. It's clear who's the boss and who's at the bottom of the pecking order. So Queen Eggsmarellda is top hen, Shellby next and at the bottom is Bob. Bob is the perfect name as she gets pecked the most so has to keep bobbing down out of the way.
No good pics so far, they've travelled up from Bognor today and we're letting them decompress and get used to their new home. Plenty of time to get a lens up at 'em.
View attachment 168223
Bognor? As in Regis? And is that a raspberry I see in the bowl? Spoiling them already. It looks like a perfect place for them.

Bognor? As in Regis? And is that a raspberry I see in the bowl? Spoiling them already. It looks like a perfect place for them.
As in Regis. That's a 300 mile trip.
It's strawberry. They ignored it. We suspect they're a bit institutionalised. Even though they were free range in their previous life they'll likely have a restricted diet and probably never come across strawberries before.

Bob. She's got more bald spots than the others but they should grow out now she's retired from the agricultural industrial complex.
A chickens comb and wattles generally indicate age and seniority and Bob's are quite small and pale compared to the others.
Interestingly, although she's at the bottom of the pecking order she seems more curious about us and less wary than the other two.
IMG_20210627_121120-01.jpeg

As in Regis. That's a 300 mile trip.
It's strawberry. They ignored it. We suspect they're a bit institutionalised. Even though they were free range in their previous life they'll likely have a restricted diet and probably never come across strawberries before.
So why did you have to get them from so far away? Are they ex-chicken farm?

The mystery of chickens: Not very fast, not very smart, can't fly much, very tasty, and yet a very successful species.

And that first shot is -- pardon me -- killer.
Yeah but domesticated species are all a bit lame because we've bred them to be docile and compliant. I imagine the stock jungle fowl are a bit feistyer.

Yeah but domesticated species are all a bit lame because we've bred them to be docile and compliant.
It's been the road to evolutionary success for chickens, at least until we humans wipe ourselves out, after which I suppose chickens will disappear, too. (Unless... Do raccoons like chicken? Perhaps they'll take over.)

It's been the road to evolutionary success for chickens, at least until we humans wipe ourselves out, after which I suppose chickens will disappear, too. (Unless... Do raccoons like chicken? Perhaps they'll take over.)
They'll have to develop pastoral farming first. I'm not sure raccoons are able to raise livestock, clever as they are.

Back
Top Bottom