Rizole Overexposed

Product placement.
IMG_20210910_185809.jpg

I’ll take both!!!! Mike and I have discussed what sort of chickens yours are, I see now they are brown ale Orpingtons. Newcastle Brown Ale is the stuff that lead me down the path to craft brewing. I had no idea there was delicious beer in the world..

Found a pile of boulders that people have taken hammer and chisel to to carve out messages that are close to their heart.
Memoria in aeterna of Mary Fenton. Will lift up mine eyes unto the hills.
IMG_20210925_130234-01.jpeg

May the glory of the Lord God be reflected in the land.
IMG_20210925_130416-01.jpeg

Brian Rudge. A friend indeed.
IMG_20210925_130313-01.jpeg

Most of these must have taken several hours to do. This is hard sandstone and the lettering on most is deep and made to last.

Murphy the quiet man.
Finbar the thinker.
IMG_20210925_130617-01.jpeg

This last was the biggest and maybe deepest carved into the rock. Its for a dog which is both somehow quite touching and comedically absurd.

Here lies Lady Fern's Flint of Furgus. Irish Setter.
Oer this moor there never ran better.
IMG_20210925_130212-01.jpeg

Most of these must have taken several hours to do. This is hard sandstone and the lettering on most is deep and made to last.

Murphy the quiet man.
Finbar the thinker.
View attachment 171659
This last was the biggest and maybe deepest carved into the rock. Its for a dog which is both somehow quite touching and comedically absurd.

Here lies Lady Fern's Flint of Furgus. Irish Setter.
Oer this moor there never ran better.
View attachment 171660
I wonder if they're all by the same hand? And why that particular spot? And no adulteration by other graffiti? That's a unique find.

I wonder if they're all by the same hand?
So asking the question on the local facebook page and they are by Jack Fearn, the old gamekeeper of the area. One of the inscriptions is dated 1995. I've found a national newsapaper article from 2011 about him. Looks like he had quite a big impact on the conservation of the local ecology. Can't find a death date for him but if he's not gone, he's gone from the area.
And no adulteration by other graffiti?
There's really not much, if any, graffiti in rural areas around here.

Last edited:
Turns out Jack Fearn died early this year. I was asked to delete my facebook post as it's a local secret - which would explain why google brought up nothing. I deleted my facebook post but wonder if I should remove my posts here.

Turns out Jack Fearn died early this year. I was asked to delete my facebook post as it's a local secret - which would explain why google brought up nothing. I deleted my facebook post but wonder if I should remove my posts here.
People won’t find it here and I don’t think anybody here will spread it around.

Mike and I have discussed what sort of chickens yours are
Having a look around and I think ours are hybrids from the look, not a pure breed. Quite common as layers in the UK it turns out.

Its about 18 months since my action cam mount/selfie stick phone mount mashup. I know you've all been on the edge of your seat since so here's an update.
PicsArt_10-02-06.58.31.jpg

Still have the original but now, with a couple of new phone mounts, I've stuck one on the action cam window mount. This baby is ideal whilst doing the washing up and doubles up sticking on the side of the shower cubicle should I want to watch tele and get clean at the same time.

The second mount sits on a broken gorilla pod type tripod. I've formed a base for it from left over thermo plastic my youngest lost interest in.

Bonus thermo plastic cable holders stuck on the side of my bedside cabinet with blutac for the win.

Back
Top Bottom