Rizole Overexposed

George from a few doors down.
IMG_20220616_162642-01.jpeg

Experiments in manual focus stacking macro shots. The two shots in this are of the leaf texture at the bottom of the drop and the surface reflection of the greenhouse roof. Not great but an experiment so here it is.
IMG_20220617_200409-01.jpeg

I had several shots of the spider. All but two had to be discarded but even with just two I got some detail on the legs furthest away from us that was missing from the base shot. Should probably try a tripod if I do this seriously. As it is I'm just taking opportunistic shots as I go about my day and hand held burst shots can be a bit all over the shop at these magnifications.

IMG_20220617_200433-01.jpeg

I'm envious there are no android apps that will do focus stacking. (there wasn't a few years ago, don't imagine that's changed.) There are open source implementations out there that are operating system agnostic. I spent several hours researching it a few years ago and seriously considered teaching myself android development so I could make an andoid focus stacking app/cam.

Last edited:
Experiments in manual focus stacking macro shots. The two shots in this are of the leaf texture at the bottom of the drop and the surface reflection of the greenhouse roof. Not great but an experiment so here it is.
View attachment 181919
I had several shots of the spider. All but two had to be discarded but even with just two I got some detail on the legs furthest away from us that was missing from the base shot. Should probably try a tripod if I do this seriously. As it is I'm just taking opportunistic shots as I go about my day and hand held burst shots can be a bit all over the shop at these magnifications.

View attachment 181920

I'm envious there are no android apps that will do focus stacking. (there wasn't a few years ago, don't imagine that's changed.) There are open source implementations out there that are operating system agnostic. I spent several hours researching it a few years ago and seriously considered teaching myself android development so I could make an andoid focus stacking app/cam.
FundyBrian was just brilliant at this. He used to take 10 to 20 shots. Check out his apple.
Post in thread 'RESULT: MC #178 Theme: No Theme - June 24-30, 2019'
https://mobitog.com/threads/result-mc-178-theme-no-theme-june-24-30-2019.23837/post-424890

I always meant to spend some time doing this. I do feel for you not having the apps for this. Brave of you to try.

Last edited:
FundyBrian was just brilliant at this. He used to take 10 to 20 shots. Check out his apple:
Post in thread 'RESULT: MC #178 Theme: No Theme - June 24-30, 2019'
https://mobitog.com/threads/result-mc-178-theme-no-theme-june-24-30-2019.23837/post-424890

I always meant to spend some time doing this. I do feel for you not having the apps for this. Brave of you to try.

Yes he was. Very much the antithesis of point and shoot that man.
terse Ted is the King of Focus Stacking. I’m sure he’s explained it somewhere on here. Ted!

One of the originals with its narrow depth of fields...
IMG_20220618_091325_002.jpg

And the output from focus stacking 8 photos together.

IMG_20220618_091325_002-01.jpeg

I used a monopod to steady the shots and moved the camera down towards the flower as a way to move the flower through the focal point of the lens. Better than free hand but even with the monopod there's too much lateral movement adding too many imperfections in when trying to stitch the pics together. If only there we're an app that could do all that withouot needing to move the camera...
thinking-think.gif

Last edited:
Couple of mill pond pics. I've been using them to practice using the curves tool. Not something I've really understood before but I'm liking how it allows manipulation of colour. My previous use of tools for that have been a bit heavy handed but curves seem to be quite delicate and yet quite powerful.
IMG_20220716_150108-01-01.jpeg

IMG_20220716_145250-01-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Couple of mill pond pics. I've been using them to practice using the curves tool. Not something I've really understood before but I'm liking how it allows manipulation of colour. My previous use of tools for that have been a bit heavy handed but curves seem to be quite delicate and yet quite powerful.
View attachment 183416View attachment 183417
Curves in what app?

Curves in what app?
Snapseed, but if I understand it correctly curves is curves regardless of the app they are in. Curves in photoshop looks the same to me as in snapseed for instance. Obviously I might not understand it correctly.
epic battle!
I wasn't sure whether they were going to fight for make beautiful music together. In the end they walked away and avoided each other. I looked it up and they are not male and female of the same species so no beautiful music to make.

Snapseed, but if I understand it correctly curves is curves regardless of the app they are in. Curves in photoshop looks the same to me as in snapseed for instance. Obviously I might not understand it correctly.
Yes I think curves is curves in any app, didn't realise Snapseed had curves, I should have known it was Snapseed with you ;)
Maybe curves can be better in a paid for app but like you I might be not understanding it, terse ?
I wasn't sure whether they were going to fight for make beautiful music together. In the end they walked away and avoided each other. I looked it up and they are not male and female of the same species so no beautiful music to make.
What no LGBT spiders in your neck of the woods :sneaky:

View attachment 183416
View attachment 183417
Curves are a godsend. They are especially useful in Photoshop, but LRM and Snapseed allow for some subtle manipulations. Snapseed even allows individual colour channel edits too

Back
Top Bottom