• > UPDATE Thread < Thanks to all who've DONATED to help with MobiTog's costs, please consider a small regular monthly sum, now possible under the new Donate tab! (NB - If all active MobiMembers Donate just £1/$1 per month it will cover our costs and help with expenditure for updates/improvements) A BIG THANK YOU ALL for your continued generosity & support!
  • PLEASE READ THIS THREAD < Tap for linky - MobiTog still has a few minor updates/improvements to complete... :)

Road Trip - the country mouse & the city mouse

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Day-1; Our road trip from the Bay of Fundy in southern New Brunswick to visit my brother on the farthest south-west tip on the Island of Montreal.
Our trip began the same day that RoseCat - Catherine arrived home from her road trip.
I should have started with a photo of my newly washed and waxed car, ready to go, but I didn’t think of it. We had planned to leave at 7 am but it was 8:30 am by the time we actually left. The first leg of our journey took us through Fundy National Park on the way to Route 1 -a section of the old Trans-Canada Highway, now bypassed with the new version. After a short section we exited to follow an old two lane country highway eventually leading to the new Route 2 4-lane and headed north towards Fredericton.

Last edited:

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Day 1: driving day. The only pictures made were ones I shot from the car when Fabi was driving.
My first picture, made while already a few hundred km along the road.
67F111D2-B716-4019-BEC6-994107E1588E.jpeg

This one just says: we’re on the road again.

I’ve mentioned before somewhere that I’m interested in rocks and minerals, as well as exposed bedrock, sky and water.
269E7E43-1C4B-44B5-B12D-0529FD082AD8.jpeg

Well, I also find the road cuts through areas they blasted through hills of rock to flatten the road. These places give a view of the local geology that is normally hidden below ground.
8DDE76C9-EBAD-40D4-85C3-E4DD9B99D75A.jpeg

The next thing that fascinated me is that these pictures were made while driving along at highway speed and yet they aren’t blurred into oblivion. That f1.8 aperture means the shutter speeds are normally much higher than with a regular camera.
51BEA599-458A-4F05-AC7F-61F0EE493B1C.jpeg

Another thing I find interesting while photographing from the car is the added randomness factor of things that suddenly appear in the frame that weren’t there when I pressed the shutter. The rapidly changing relationship between background and foreground adds to the effect.
Another thing is most of my pictures seem to feature the sky, mainly because I’m trying to avoid including the guardrail or side of the highway.
Here’s a picture of a section of game fencing designed to prevent deer & moose from wandering into the highway.
3A3B8E29-33FA-4B88-885F-D40A89FD3183.jpeg

GroovyGouvy

MobiLifer
Real Name
Gouvy
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Day 1: driving day. The only pictures made were ones I shot from the car when Fabi was driving.
View attachment 114062

I’ve mentioned before somewhere that I’m interested in rocks and minerals, as well as exposed bedrock, sky and water.
View attachment 114065
Well, I also find the road cuts through areas they blasted through hills of rock to flatten the road. These places give a view of the local geology that is normally hidden below ground.
View attachment 114063
The next thing that fascinated me is that these pictures were made while driving along at highway speed and yet they aren’t blurred into oblivion. That f1.8 aperture means the shutter speeds are normally much higher than with a regular camera.
View attachment 114066
Another thing I find interesting while photographing from the car is the added randomness factor of things that suddenly appear in the frame that weren’t there when I pressed the shutter. The rapidly changing relationship between background and foreground adds to the effect.
Another thing is most of my pictures seem to feature the sky, mainly because I’m trying to avoid including the guardrail or side of the highway.
Here’s a picture of a section of game fencing designed to prevent deer & moose from wandering into the highway.
View attachment 114064
Great impressions! f1.8? Means you've used PureShot? And the hills are really stunning rocks. And so clear that I've bet you've stopped by. :thumbs:

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Day-2. I’ll start out setting the scene. This morning didn’t start off bright and early. We were tired out from the long drive and slept in. I checked the trip odometer this morning. 1149.4 km.
First thing when I came out to the kitchen in the morning I saw bright light gleaming off the water.
I tried to capture this first impression through the window and found it a bit diffused by the window glass so I went outside. It was somewhat overcast and windy.
8C410381-6CD5-48A1-B4A7-6A637FF77D95.jpeg

This is the view from my brother’s front room towards sunrise across the park next door.
7660DA2A-A7D8-40F3-B9A2-489CC9D9E717.jpeg

This photo was made in the right of the two gaps in the trees in the first photo. You can recognize the rock in the water.
Just to the right of this view, directly off the front room, is this little wharf the building residents use for their boats. We think of the front room as the main living room that faces the water, which is really the back of the house. The front just faces the road.
17C1D620-19D4-4D07-A524-9AACD4167157.jpeg

Other canoes, etc., on the grass to the left. This is actually the mouth of the Ottawa river where it meets the Saint Lawrence river. The Saint Lawrence flows by the south side of the Island of Montreal.
Turning around to the right,
1068AA87-6789-43E0-AFD8-4D296A960369.jpeg

I noticed this sunrise chair that looks like a gnome’s spot. The land across the water is Ile Perrot.
0D799C39-7E70-4E85-97D4-B4860957E2F7.jpeg

Another view of the chair and view across the water, this time with Hipstamatic. I had it set on randomize favourites but none of the results looked like favourite material so I edited trying every lens and film, although I must admit I liked the no lens and no film the best but this is a compromise.
When I came back in my brother said I had missed a nice sunrise earlier and showed me this photo to prove it.
D3E63D52-F5FA-4AEE-B848-1C9FD8407FC4.jpeg

I asked if he could send it to me and we scratched our heads trying to transfer a photo from Samsung to iPhone via something like AirDrop. No go. So this came via a text message.

Last edited:

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Great impressions! f1.8? Means you've used PureShot? And the hills are really stunning rocks. And so clear that I've bet you've stopped by. :thumbs:
Not PureShot. The native camera app. Every photo on new iPhones with the standard lens is f1.8, no matter what app. There’s no other choice. The 2x is f2.8.
No stopping. It really is snapped from the car window directly sideways at highway speed - 110 km/h.

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
View attachment 114062

View attachment 114065
View attachment 114063
View attachment 114066
View attachment 114064
These are amazing “drive by” photos... so clear! Looks like you had a beautiful day for a drive.

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
Day-2. I’ll start out setting the scene. This morning didn’t start off bright and early. We were tired out from the long drive and slept in. I checked the trip odometer this morning. 1149.4 km.
First thing when I came out to the kitchen in the morning I saw bright light gleaming off the water.
I tried to capture this first impression through the window and found it a bit diffused by the window glass so I went outside. It was somewhat overcast and windy.
View attachment 114072
This is the view from my brother’s front room towards sunrise across the park next door.
View attachment 114076
This photo was made in the right of the two gaps in the trees in the first photo. You can recognize the rock in the water.
Just to the right of this view, directly off the front room, is this little wharf the building residents use for their boats. We think of the front room as the main living room that faces the water, which is really the back of the house. The front just faces the road.
View attachment 114073
Other canoes, etc., on the grass to the left. This is actually the mouth of the Ottawa river where it meets the Saint Lawrence river. The Saint Lawrence flows by the south side of the Island of Montreal.
View attachment 114074
I noticed this sunrise chair that looks like a gnome’s spot. The land across the water is Ile Perrot.
View attachment 114075
Another view of the chair and view across the water, this time with Hipstamatic. I had it set on randomize favourites but none of the results looked like favourite material so I edited trying every lens and film, although I must admit I liked the no lens and no film the best but this is a compromise.
When I came back in my brother said I had missed a nice sunrise earlier and showed me this photo to prove it.
View attachment 114077
I asked if he could send it to me and we scratched our heads trying to transfer a photo from Samsung to iPhone via something like AirDrop. No go. So this came via a text message.
:fearscream::fearscream::fearscream:
I can’t believe your brother’s back yard!!!! What an amazing place to live...holy moly. And that sunrise is SICK. Wowowow.

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
:fearscream::fearscream::fearscream:
I can’t believe your brother’s back yard!!!! What an amazing place to live...holy moly. And that sunrise is SICK. Wowowow.
I’m hoping I’ll be awake to see the next nice sunrise myself.
Yes, it’s a super location and so far the owner of the building has resisted selling it to a developer who wants to tear it down and build expensive condos. There is already a new condo building under construction on the opposite side of the river that will rise above the otherwise even tree line. But then, there’s this small issue of annual spring flooding when the river rises to flood their back yard within a few feet of their back door.

lisamjw

MobiStaff
Site Staff
Real Name
Lisa Waddell
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
View attachment 114072
View attachment 114076
View attachment 114073
View attachment 114074
View attachment 114075
View attachment 114077
Beautiful images, Brian! Your brother’s place is in a wonderful location.

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Day-1: Mystery photo from our travel day.
D4825E77-F2B7-4A22-A17D-93C5BDA12FB7.jpeg

I can understand why the foreground is blurred since it is closer to the car speeding by. The dead trees seem fairly clear. But then the background is also blurred and the distance should be easier to keep sharp. So what happened? Any ideas?
Made with the native camera app.

Last edited:

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
Mystery photo from our travel day.
View attachment 114101
I can understand why the foreground is blurred since it is closer to the car speeding by. The dead trees seem fairly clear. But then the background is also blurred and the distance should be easier to keep sharp. So what happened? Any ideas?
No clue.... but it’s a cool pic!

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
View attachment 114101
The grass and the live trees moving in the wind but the bare sticks less affected?

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
More Day-2 and we haven’t made it to lunch yet.
We walked along the main street of Saint Annes looking for a place for lunch.
9D068D48-4CF9-418F-8256-DDA3882F2052.jpeg

Although we looked at a couple of new places that had appeared since our last visit we knew where we were going - Twigs (Two West Island Girls). Since Sainte Annes is a college/university town most places cater, at least to some degree, to student budgets. You also want to get there before student lunch hour if you want a seat. There are 3 tables outside for nice days. We have been there often enough in past years that the owner recognized us and greeted us. My brother is one of their regulars.
We had a nice lunch and carried on with our walk along the street.
49053B65-CE77-4211-AFF7-1B5C028AF704.jpeg

The point I’m making with this photo is that most places along the street have no room at all before the sidewalk.
Here I started to photograph with Hipstamatic.
9C17BF41-C819-4B8C-881E-E40E3755C7F5.jpeg

All of my street views needed tweaking in SKEW to straighten the verticals.
EE96084D-6027-4B31-8A91-927D93E36CA8.jpeg

Since the downtown makeover several years ago and the building of the waterfront boardwalk the occasional former alley between buildings have been turned into public walkways leading to the boardwalk.
0CE0A4D7-8B87-4D6B-8844-CE7D196C29E3.jpeg

These two are especially for RoseCat - Catherine.
112DF1BC-8ABA-4CD8-991C-95E4F657FDD9.jpeg

This is one of the old style post office trucks that have mostly been replaced by the new Ford Transit Courier vehicles made in Europe. This old truck is quite small, right hand drive which is perfect for the number of times they have to hop in and out making deliveries, certainly not of North American manufacture, probably European, and although the hubcaps have the Chevrolet logo the badge on the side says Gruman. It intrigues me that Canada Post makes such good and practical use of European vehicles.

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Across the street is the beginning of the university grounds. The park next door is actually part of the university property.
There were 2 canoe classes yesterday. This is the afternoon class.
C86654F3-D450-4F37-80FB-D84FE1E9504C.jpeg

Here they are starting out with some paddling instruction and various pointers about handling a canoe. It was quite windy and I was wondering how the novice paddlers would manage but before I had too much time to contemplate the issue the instructor decided the water was too rough and they all trouped back across the street carrying the canoes. I’m sure they will be back on a nicer day.

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
View attachment 114072
View attachment 114076
View attachment 114073
View attachment 114074
View attachment 114075
View attachment 114077
Photo Transfer App.

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
View attachment 114101
You’ve kept the camera trained on dead trees - panning?

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
These two are especially for RoseCat - Catherine.

This is one of the old style post office trucks that have mostly been replaced by the new Ford Transit Courier vehicles made in Europe. This old truck is quite small, right hand drive which is perfect for the number of times they have to hop in and out making deliveries, certainly not of North American manufacture, probably European, and although the hubcaps have the Chevrolet logo the badge on the side says Gruman. It intrigues me that Canada Post makes such good and practical use of European vehicles.
How cute is this truck?? :D :inlove:

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
Across the street is the beginning of the university grounds. The park next door is actually part of the university property.
There were 2 canoe classes yesterday. This is the afternoon class.
View attachment 114131
Here they are starting out with some paddling instruction and various pointers about handling a canoe. It was quite windy and I was wondering how the novice paddlers would manage but before I had too much time to contemplate the issue the instructor decided the water was too rough and they all trouped back across the street carrying the canoes. I’m sure they will be back on a nicer day.
Yikes!! Canoes are tricky, that’s for sure.

Starzee

MobiLurver
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Star Greathouse
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
View attachment 114101
Mobile Photography Phenomena.