chineezguy

IotM Winner March 2023
Real Name
Michael
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
Onsite
Project Page
I often see roadside memorials on my bicycle rides. They always cause me to wonder about the memorialized and the circumstances of their death. I decided to photograph them.

The first is for a 12-year old boy.
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1375501881.875321.jpg

These are great shots! It's a sad reminder when we see these memorials on the roadsides to be alert and drive safe. Life is precious and it can end at any moment. I live in southwest TN and just last week our local news announced that the state of Mississippi will be paying MDOT employees to remove all of the memorials off their roadsides. They said it was a matter of safety. I strongly disagree, and so do many others according to the Facebook discussion I read. I can't see how MS, being one of the poorest states, with the worst roads I've ever drove on, would spend funds doing something like this instead of many other things the road systems need more urgently! These memorials, like I said, are a reminder to everyone to drive safe, value life, and they help grieving families maybe cope with their lose.
http://wreg.com/2013/07/29/mdot-crews-taking-up-some-roadside-memorials-for-safety-reasons/

This is a wonderful thread Michael... Interestingly, there's one I pass on my way home from work but it's difficult to shoot - on a busy highway. But I try to send positive energy when I pass it, for the family and friends left behind.

These are great shots! It's a sad reminder when we see these memorials on the roadsides to be alert and drive safe. Life is precious and it can end at any moment. I live in southwest TN and just last week our local news announced that the state of Mississippi will be paying MDOT employees to remove all of the memorials off their roadsides. They said it was a matter of safety. I strongly disagree, and so do many others according to the Facebook discussion I read. I can't see how MS, being one of the poorest states, with the worst roads I've ever drove on, would spend funds doing something like this instead of many other things the road systems need more urgently! These memorials, like I said, are a reminder to everyone to drive safe, value life, and they help grieving families maybe cope with their lose.
http://wreg.com/2013/07/29/mdot-crews-taking-up-some-roadside-memorials-for-safety-reasons/
Ridiculous what state's will determine is "necessary expenses". Hopefully with enough backlash they'll rethink this dumb idea.

In my part of TX the memorials are allowed to stand but it's my understanding that they can't be too large and they are to be constructed of "break away" materials; thus making sure they are not a roadside hazard.

This is such a poignant series for me. While I really appreciate these images, it takes me back to when my father was tragically killed in a motor vehicle accident while away in Los Angeles on business. It was 27 years ago but i remember it like it was yesterday. I miss him every day!
Love you Dad, and miss you!
My boys would have loved their grandfather.

Great images and idea. I agree with Robert that the images bring up some difficult memories.

This is a good way to respect those lost in tragic accidents.

We see them around here all the time, highway personnel here leave them alone. Two bad accidents close to the family far recently. The first happened a few days before we left, family of five heading south had a stop sign but didn't stop, hit a semi they think in excess of 100 kms per hr (60mph). How he didn't know that they were coming to an intersection is beyond anyone, last year they did rumble strips that start a ways back. They think he was texting at the time. All five died. Earlier this week a motorcycle when through the same intersection and was hit by a pickup. They are now talking about maybe putting lights there. Has always been a busy intersection, it is the main highway between Keneston and Outlook and the north south road that everyone seems to like ignoring the stop sign is a main road from Saskatoon to Gardner Dam where people go to fish or boat, camp etc.

This is such a poignant series for me. While I really appreciate these images, it takes me back to when my father was tragically killed in a motor vehicle accident while away in Los Angeles on business. It was 27 years ago but i remember it like it was yesterday. I miss him every day!
Love you Dad, and miss you!
My boys would have loved their grandfather.
Oh, so sorry to hear that Robert... :'(

Back
Top Bottom