Ryn'S project-pics I just need to share :)

I said I would try the Distress Oxide inks over a photo....maybe this wasn't the right photo? but I'm not done experimenting yet. This is one of the bathroom window photos, printed out on white cardstock (archival paper) and on the left is how it came out of the printer; on the right is a copy with oxides over top. I tried two techniques 1) putting oxide ink on my craft sheet, spritzing with water, swirling paper through it and drying with craft/hair dryer.

The video of designer Tim Holtz demo-ing the oxide inks at CHA-2017

2) applying ink through stencils with a Ranger foam blending tool then spritzing from a distance to activate the distress oxide, then drying with dryer before printer ink or first layer of oxide could be reactivated.
IMG_6339.JPG

I wanted to add that as I was working with this, it "felt" like the printer ink was "sucking up" the oxides but that might have been because the pic is dark on the edges...I am going to try this on a lighter image and see if it's a quality that happens because of the cardstock/printer ink combo or if it was just a sensation caused by not clearly seeing the oxide on the dark colors.

I said I would try the Distress Oxide inks over a photo....maybe this wasn't the right photo? but I'm not done experimenting yet. This is one of the bathroom window photos, printed out on white cardstock (archival paper) and on the left is how it came out of the printer; on the right is a copy with oxides over top. I tried two techniques 1) putting oxide ink on my craft sheet, spritzing with water, swirling paper through it and drying with craft/hair dryer.

2) applying ink through stencils with a Ranger foam blending tool then spritzing from a distance to activate the distress oxide, then drying with dryer before printer ink or first layer of oxide could be reactivated.
View attachment 89403
I wanted to add that as I was working with this, it "felt" like the printer ink was "sucking up" the oxides but that might have been because the pic is dark on the edges...I am going to try this on a lighter image and see if it's a quality that happens because of the cardstock/printer ink combo or if it was just a sensation caused by not clearly seeing the oxide on the dark colors.
What a great invention. I can see it working with photos and embellishments to make 3D cards and pictures.

View attachment 89403
I love the image on the right! Keep experimenting...this could have real potential!

I don't know what the science is
I went and looked at some science on google scholar cus that's how I roll. :rolleyes:
It looks like ionisers do indeed clear the air of fine particulate matter by causing it to deposit on household surfaces a bit like static electricity makes a balloon stick to a wall. So yes, they do change the air quality.
However, 6 studies (double blind with placebo controls) done on asthmatics showed no effect, either way, on asthma or lung function. I only skimmed abstracts and didn't read the discussion but two things occur to me. The lungs and respiratory system evolved an effective system for dealing with the tons of airborn pollution found in the natural world already so why would an ioniser make a difference, even for an asthmatic? Secondly, you can clear the air in your home but step outside and the air is awash with natural and manmade pollutants, I wonder if an ioniser is a bit like trying to hold back the tide.
A recent study shows little evidence for anti-bacterial effects and neatly demonstrated how older studies that supported anti-bacterial effects got it wrong.
A meta-anaylsis off 33 studies on ions and mood, stress, anxiety found negative ions helped with seasonal affective disorder but nothing else and no effects from positive ions.
I couldn't find any evidence that supports the idea that positive ions are harmful. :coffee:

I went and looked at some science on google scholar cus that's how I roll. :rolleyes:
It looks like ionisers do indeed clear the air of fine particulate matter by causing it to deposit on household surfaces a bit like static electricity makes a balloon stick to a wall. So yes, they do change the air quality.
However, 6 studies (double blind with placebo controls) done on asthmatics showed no effect, either way, on asthma or lung function. I only skimmed abstracts and didn't read the discussion but two things occur to me. The lungs and respiratory system evolved an effective system for dealing with the tons of airborn pollution found in the natural world already so why would an ioniser make a difference, even for an asthmatic? Secondly, you can clear the air in your home but step outside and the air is awash with natural and manmade pollutants, I wonder if an ioniser is a bit like trying to hold back the tide.
A recent study shows little evidence for anti-bacterial effects and neatly demonstrated how older studies that supported anti-bacterial effects got it wrong.
A meta-anaylsis off 33 studies on ions and mood, stress, anxiety found negative ions helped with seasonal affective disorder but nothing else and no effects from positive ions.
I couldn't find any evidence that supports the idea that positive ions are harmful. :coffee:
Thanks for the info :) I never can remember which ions are the bad guys and good guys (positive/negative thing) I just read that the salt lamps were supposed to be healthy and a natural way to help the air. I bought one because it was a cool looking night light and it seemed to change the air for the better. Each one I've added to the house makes the air in that room feel cleaner. Can't explain it, would be tempted to think placebo effect but being a massage therapist I have strangers enter my home whomcomment
Immediately on how good
The air is....so they do something I think....I guess if I'm still here posting pics when I'm 120 we can figure they did something good ;)

Thanks for the info :) I never can remember which ions are the bad guys and good guys (positive/negative thing) I just read that the salt lamps were supposed to be healthy and a natural way to help the air. I bought one because it was a cool looking night light and it seemed to change the air for the better. Each one I've added to the house makes the air in that room feel cleaner. Can't explain it, would be tempted to think placebo effect but being a massage therapist I have strangers enter my home whomcomment
Immediately on how good
The air is....so they do something I think....I guess if I'm still here posting pics when I'm 120 we can figure they did something good ;)
Keep using it Ryn, cos in about five years time another group of experts will conclude that they're the secret to a long and healthy life and that we should have all been using them five years ago.:thumbs:

For Sunday I played with some edits I'm not familiar with just to gain a little experience...what follows are the results :)

Just because InCoWriMo is ending for another year, there's no reason why you can't just hand-write snail mail letters the rest of the year. I committed to at least one letter a month January 1st, learned about InCoWriMo on February 4th - I've enjoyed everyday writing, but know I couldn't maintain that all year, but a letter a month I can do...& who knows...I might even be able to do a letter a week. I've gotten two letters back and I have to say it really tickles me to get an actual letter in the mail :) tongive that joy to someone else just makes my heart happy and I walk around smiling all the time :)

Just because InCoWriMo is ending for another year, there's no reason why you can't just hand-write snail mail letters the rest of the year. I committed to at least one letter a month January 1st, learned about InCoWriMo on February 4th - I've enjoyed everyday writing, but know I couldn't maintain that all year, but a letter a month I can do...& who knows...I might even be able to do a letter a week. I've gotten two letters back and I have to say it really tickles me to get an actual letter in the mail :) tongive that joy to someone else just makes my heart happy and I walk around smiling all the time :)
:thumbs: Good idea.

Back
Top Bottom