Saved images to iOS7 camera roll look lighter or "different"

EyePhoto

MobiLurver
Real Name
Ron
Device
Onsite
Project Page
Has anyone noticed after editing images in various apps that once saved to the camera roll, the images appear different visually... sometimes lighter, sometimes darker, just "not right". At first I thought it was specific apps, but then I started seeing subtle differences with all saved images to the camera roll after updating to the latest version (iOS 7.1).

It may be just me and feeling tired after a busy week, but I swear my images look different after saving to the camera roll on my iPad Air.

Edit in app
yveha6yh.jpg

Image after saving to camera roll
e8ebumu3.jpg

There was a thread recently dealing with a similar/same problem. Might be worth a search or someone may know what I'm talking about!

Definitely a difference between the two. Can't say I've ever noticed with mine, will have to check though. Gorgeous image by the way, I really like the 2nd faded one, soft and dreamy.

That's a huge difference! Weird indeed... But I have no doubt the wonderful members of MobiTog will figure this out. :thumbs:

O rly :eek:

I just tried a test. I opened the same picture in AfterLight on an iPod running iOS7.1 and another iPod running iOS7.0. Applied a b&w filter (ash), added a frame (white on 7.0, purple on 7.1) and then saved the files.

They then appeared on my Photostream on my iPad. I opened both in PS Touch and blended them in Difference mode. No difference except for the frames :oops:

I just tried the same test again, with Snapseed. Opened the exact same pic and simply added a different color border on 7.0 and 7.1. Both pics came out exactly the same.

What app were you using Ron ?

I opened the TIFF image in Distressed FX, applied the "stirred" texture, then saved to camera roll. I did no further processing in any other app. Cheryl is taking a look at this with their developer. I can't figure it out. It didn't start happening until I updated my Air to 7.1. Everything was fine till then. :(

C
I opened the TIFF image in Distressed FX, applied the "stirred" texture, then saved to camera roll. I did no further processing in any other app. Cheryl is taking a look at this with their developer. I can't figure it out. It didn't start happening until I updated my Air to 7.1. Everything was fine till then. :(

So you began with a TIFF image. Does Distressed FX save the edits in TIFF form, or convert to JPEG? That's one place where data could be lost.

Another possibility that comes to mind is that some apps — many apps, I think — show you a "live edit" of what your image will look like after processing, but do not perform the actual "rendering" (which can involve a lot of processor time and power) until you are finished editing and save the final product. If this is the case, the first image you're shown is really a preview or approximation of what the fully "rendered" image will look like.

One final complication, which might or might not apply here, is that pictures in your Photostream are not necessarily identical to those in your camera roll. It depends on (a) the size of the image in pixels, and (b) the screen resolution of the device you're viewing them on. How Photostream works is, the original full-size image goes into the cloud. Then when you open your Photostream on a given device, the image is "pushed down" in a size that's viewable on your display. On your computer, the image will always be full size. On a smaller device, it may be squeezed down to a lower pixel count (and I believe a TIFF image will be converted to JPEG in the process).

This is worth keeping in mind if, like me, you take pictures with the phone but edit on the pad. (I normally use iPhoto to view the Photostream, which makes it easy to compare file size and MP resolution, and if necessary to "beam" the original image over from the phone in a couple of seconds.)

Don't know if any of this really explains this particular issue, though!

C

So you began with a TIFF image. Does Distressed FX save the edits in TIFF form, or convert to JPEG? That's one place where data could be lost.

Another possibility that comes to mind is that some apps — many apps, I think — show you a "live edit" of what your image will look like after processing, but do not perform the actual "rendering" (which can involve a lot of processor time and power) until you are finished editing and save the final product. If this is the case, the first image you're shown is really a preview or approximation of what the fully "rendered" image will look like.

One final complication, which might or might not apply here, is that pictures in your Photostream are not necessarily identical to those in your camera roll. It depends on (a) the size of the image in pixels, and (b) the screen resolution of the device you're viewing them on. How Photostream works is, the original full-size image goes into the cloud. Then when you open your Photostream on a given device, the image is "pushed down" in a size that's viewable on your display. On your computer, the image will always be full size. On a smaller device, it may be squeezed down to a lower pixel count (and I believe a TIFF image will be converted to JPEG in the process).

This is worth keeping in mind if, like me, you take pictures with the phone but edit on the pad. (I normally use iPhoto to view the Photostream, which makes it easy to compare file size and MP resolution, and if necessary to "beam" the original image over from the phone in a couple of seconds.)

Don't know if any of this really explains this particular issue, though!

Thanks for the feedback, Richard. The images are sent over in JPEG form, converted by the app. The image I see in the app prior to saving to camera roll is what is finished after rendering; I don't believe it is a preview as with some apps.

I did more testing on this today.
  • I emptied my photostream and turned off the auto backup to icloud for my photos. At this point, all photos are saved to only the camera roll until I upload or back them up to another source.

• I uninstalled a few apps (including Distressed FX) and then reloaded them.

• I pulled out some of the photo apps I had nested together on the iphone 4S so they are now stand-alone on the home screen. (This shouldn't matter but I have had some issues that I cannot duplicate once they sit on their own and not grouped with others in folders).

• I verified all images pre and post-processing were the same format - generally TIFF when applicable, otherwise, hi-quality JPEG for final print.

• Compared images as originally submitted, and at this point, do not see the color differences.

I still think it may have something to do with running iOS 7+ on my 4S due to processor and memory consumption. I am seeing too many instances of issues with the older phones and iOS 7 on various levels. I appreciate everyone's feedback and testing. This is one of the best (of many) characteristics of MobiTog - very helpful and resourceful. :)

I'm chiming in, and might be totally off the mark here... But:
Camera roll images are in JPG format. If you modify them in any app (desktop/tablet/phone) and save, you will get great degradation. JPG is a lossy format. It loses data every time it is saved, even if you save at highest quality. Never work on an image and do saves in that format. Save as PNG (my preference) as soon as you have opened and edited anything. Then keep it as PNG from then on, to not degrade the picture quality. PNGs can be posted and viewed in any browser, so it's the best format to use anyway, since you are going to post.
Please anybody, correct me if I'm wrong, because this is a huge issue for picture quality, and I'm a newbie.

Hi Nina Katajamaki and welcome to the forum.

For the issue that images look lighter in camera roll. I never had this issue in any iOS version. And I hardly believe it's a matter of image format (PNG/TIFF over JPG). Yes, there is degradation in JPG, but what you lose is colour information and therefore resolution. But I never saw images become lighter. There was an issue that images became more and more pinkish the more you saved an image again and again. But for my knowing this issue is gone with one of the latest iOS updates.

You are right to avoid JPG. Or at least to use JPG with maximum image quality. Some camera apps like ProCamera allow to set the JPG image quality between 70% and 100%. For best results it is wise to use PNG or TIFF.

Nina, there are a number of apps now that support uncompressed TIFF files as an alternative to JPG.

There's a very informative article at the jag.gr blog (by the people who make 645 PRO and Pureshot and other apps) that provides some interesting background on how the iPhone hardware and software process image data. I don't know if you'll find it useful, but I learned a lot from this:

http://jag.gr/2012/04/17/645-pro-raw-redux/

Nina, there are a number of apps now that support uncompressed TIFF files as an alternative to JPG.

There's a very informative article at the jag.gr blog (by the people who make 645 PRO and Pureshot and other apps) that provides some interesting background on how the iPhone hardware and software process image data. I don't know if you'll find it useful, but I learned a lot from this:

http://jag.gr/2012/04/17/645-pro-raw-redux/

Awesome explanation. Thanks Richard.
I tried - without luck - to find information about how Lenka process image. If anybody knows please share this.

Back
Top Bottom