• > STAY HOME & STAY SAFE! Dear MobiMembers - We are all aware of the current and serious situation the World is facing right now! We will not repeat what is already said, save to say we hope you will all heed the warnings, stay safe, look after yourselves and others and remain well. As much as we are able, let's all help each other to stay sane in our social distancing/isolation and face this thing down. Much love 'n hugs, Rog, Matt and all your MobiStaff... x x <

Shoot in BW or convert from colour

Chris Wadsworth

MobiLurver
Reaction score
Real Name
Chris Wadsworth
Hi

Do you find yourselves shooting in colour then converting to BW or just shooting in BW? Which ever your preference is, why do you do it that way?

Reaction score
Real Name
Philippe Schlossberg
as to the debate between converting or shooting directly in black and white ... it's more ... technical than actually ... visual ... I've always been able to achieve more than acceptable conversions.

wolf391

MobiPassionista
Reaction score
Real Name
Kurt Norlin
I sometimes do both, but if my intention is to end up with a series of BW images I shoot in BW. Color and BW are really two different languages. It takes time to see in BW, just as it takes time to really see in color. I know that this concept is not popular in the digital age where everything has to happen now, but it is important to understand. K

lisamjw

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
Reaction score
Real Name
Lisa Waddell
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
I agree with most everyone's comments in that I shoot in color and convert to black and white. I like to see both versions then decide which I think looks the best.

PicsbyJCG

MobiLurver
Reaction score
Real Name
Christer
Device
Sony
Like mwolfer said, I shoot mostly b/w with Hipsta and color otherwise. Because most b/w photo apps tend to smell like a bunch of old sneakers. And when creating "art", it's better to app away and as the last touch, make a b/w version for Mobimono :p

Still looking for that über perfect, one touch (aim and shoot) b/w app, tho'. One that's so good you don't even need to purge the pic in Snapseed or anything else later on...

Chris Wadsworth

MobiLurver
Reaction score
Real Name
Chris Wadsworth
Like mwolfer said, I shoot mostly b/w with Hipsta and color otherwise. Because most b/w photo apps tend to smell like a bunch of old sneakers. And when creating "art", it's better to app away and as the last touch, make a b/w version for Mobimono :p

Still looking for that über perfect, one touch (aim and shoot) b/w app, tho'. One that's so good you don't even need to purge the pic in Snapseed or anything else later on...
All waiting for that app mate. I seem to be in the majority, shoot in colour then convert, unless it's Hipsta. After saying that though, Camera Boost has some good BW filters that can be adjusted

Michal Sz.

MobiStarlet
Reaction score
Real Name
Michal Szklanowski
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I shoot in color, then convert to B&W. Shooting in BW leaves no option for creative conversion using eg. color filters. I always wanna have this option.

In certain situations I found myself shooting in BW uding built-in BW filter in iPhone camera app, but just because you can revert it back to color in Photos app later.

PicsbyJCG

MobiLurver
Reaction score
Real Name
Christer
Device
Sony
All waiting for that app mate. I seem to be in the majority, shoot in colour then convert, unless it's Hipsta. After saying that though, Camera Boost has some good BW filters that can be adjusted
Camera Boost? Ok, another app I must check out immediately :confused: :D

Reaction score
Real Name
Philippe Schlossberg
hey guys ... just like no app that shoots in color won't require further editing (unless you use live filters may be), no b&w etc... unless you use ... etc... and there ARE good black and white cameras for iOS ... I don't use them often for the reason I explained above but these apps definitely exist, and some of them are exactly what can be expected.

Reaction score
Real Name
Philippe Schlossberg
adding ... that "real black and white" film photography requires work when developing a film and exposing it under the enlarger ... I can't see why editing shouldn't be required with digital black and white images ... shot directly in black and white. There's no magical sensor.

ps: there seem to be a misunderstanding among those who started photography with the digital age ... a black and white shot is in no way a finalized edit ... and should never be considered as such ... it's just the first step of a photographic process.

Last edited:

KatMagic Photography

MobiStarlet
Reaction score
Device
iPhone 6s Plus
Fancy sharing your combos? My fave BW one at the moment is Dee and Blackeys 44
I like Blackeys 44 and extra fine with number lenses but my fave has to be the Diego lens... Off the top of my head that's it but there's more - I just have them noted on my iPhone as too many combos to remember! Do you use Oggl? I tried but found it awkward and the navigation is odd also. I'm sticking with Instagram for iPhone pics.

Chris Wadsworth

MobiLurver
Reaction score
Real Name
Chris Wadsworth
I've Oggl, but like yourself I find getting around it more difficult than it should be. I've never used it to shoot either.

wolf391

MobiPassionista
Reaction score
Real Name
Kurt Norlin
Fancy sharing your combos? My fave BW one at the moment is Dee and Blackeys 44
I have tried lots of BW apps trying to find the perfect combo ( a impossibility I guess). My current favorite is Hipstamatic/Lowery/Black Keys 44. However MPro has a nice feature - the live view is in BW which helps me to better visualize what the outcome will be. I need to work more with this app and it may well become my go-to BW app.

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
As Kurt said, color and b/w are two different ways of seeing, and each one requires practice. I've used (and enjoyed) most of the better-known b/w camera apps, including MPro and Hueless, plus apps that let you do either color or b/w, like the native cam app and ACDSee (which does have a decent camera along with its editor).

Now I've pretty much settled into shooting unfiltered color all the time, even when I'm thinking the final will be b/w, in order to capture the most information and have the widest range of options when converting to b/w. (Just compare what happens when you run a b/w original and a color original through a program that offers a wide range of b/w presets, like ACDSee.) So many things can be adjusted after the shot that I think mainly about the right framing, the right focus, and the right exposure (no blown highlights, no crushed shadows). And occasionally I find, after the shot, that I photo I imagined as b/w really looks better in color (and vice-versa).

Like Phillipe, I also used to shoot film, when loading up a roll meant you were committed to b/w or color for the next 12 or 24 or 36 shots (unless you wanted to lug around multiple cameras). And these days it's easy to forget that shooting b/w film is not like using a b/w camera app, because with a film camera, the world in your viewfinder is always in color, no matter what film you have loaded, so you have to imagine what the b/w will look like and then massage it during film and print development to reproduce what you imagined.

See this link http://petapixel.com/2013/09/12/marked-photographs-show-iconic-prints-edited-darkroom/ for an idea of what high quality darkroom printing involved. You don't need to read the article -- just look at the first photo all marked up for dodging and burning.

PicsbyJCG

MobiLurver
Reaction score
Real Name
Christer
Device
Sony
Well, obviously I can't speak for newbies starting to snap their first pics this month, can only speak for myself. And I was there, back in '82, shooting b/w and the processing the pics in a small dark room with a bunch of vomit-provoking "photo fluids".

I love the digital photography age, it was a big relief and a reboot of my old photography hobby when I got a cell phone with built-in, lousy, camera (still better than the worthless add-on camera module for Sony Ericsson I bought a bit earlier). And this was 2003'ish.

My thoughts here was a bit of irony, a wink to fellow old school photographers now being appaholics: since everything about photography is so simplified and easy these days, where the *bleep* is that single app that does it all as soon as you press "shoot"?

My earlier post should be read with the label irony alert plastered over it. As in: joking. I know a pic isn't finished after I shoot it. But I sometimes wish it was.

And no, beside some Hipsta combos, I still haven't seen any b/w app (tested a lot of 'em) that don't make me curse, hiss, frown and almost throw my belowed iToys at the ground in a fit of rage...

Last edited:

Mik

MobiLurver
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Michael
Device
iPhone X
Hi

Do you find yourselves shooting in colour then converting to BW or just shooting in BW? Which ever your preference is, why do you do it that way?
I do it either way. Sometimes I like to see the BW image in the viewfinder during shooting and adjust contrast and exposure to my liking. The other day I don't want to mess around with settings but just shoot and ask edit later.

PicsbyJCG

MobiLurver
Reaction score
Real Name
Christer
Device
Sony
I don't like faffing around or messing too much, I like capturing quick fleeting moments, point and shoot, hope for the best.
That's true for me as well, when it comes to shooting. I won't spend 5 minutes messing with white balance, exposure, ISO and whatnot (I'm not one of those people confusing a "smartphone" and a "DSLR"). I see something worth shooting, decide where to stand/point my iPhone and shoot. Then, when back home, I can play around with some of the pics for a week if I want. :rog:

Chris Wadsworth

MobiLurver
Reaction score
Real Name
Chris Wadsworth
That's true for me as well, when it comes to shooting. I won't spend 5 minutes messing with white balance, exposure, ISO and whatnot (I'm not one of those people confusing a "smartphone" and a "DSLR"). I see something worth shooting, decide where to stand/point my iPhone and shoot. Then, when back home, I can play around with some of the pics for a week if I want. :rog:
Agree