SHOOTING FROM THE HIP

Having said that I believe it’s the only way you’ll capture people in there moment rather than there reaction to you.
That's an excellent distinction. I don't think hip shooting is the only way -- sometimes people don't notice you even if you have an 8x10 view camera and a flash -- but it's the main way.

The image never generated much interest either here ( I think I posted a b/w version) or on IG. Maybe its just humans out shopping and has no real story to it, like I observed earlier in the thread? Tell me where I'm going wrong.
I think that's just the life of a photographer or any image maker. No one sees exactly what you see in your own photos. Sometimes they see nothing where you see something, and sometimes they may see something other than what you see. (And every now and then someone goes raving about a photo you almost didn't post.) I often get different reactions to images posted here and on Instagram, and I've also posted images I really like that get no more than a tepid response anywhere. And once I got an HM in the IPPA for a photo that didn't even make the podium in one of the challenges here. :D

We all bring our own "stuff" to any image we view, so what strikes sparks for one person can be just a damp squib for another. And those reactions might be reversed at a different time or in a different context. The image itself may fix a moment in time forever, but the moment of viewing the image is forever fluid (time, place, context, personal emotions, etc.).

'
I think that's just the life of a photographer or any image maker. No one sees exactly what you see in your own photos. Sometimes they see nothing where you see something, and sometimes they may see something other than what you see. (And every now and then someone goes raving about a photo you almost didn't post.) I often get different reactions to images posted here and on Instagram, and I've also posted images I really like that get no more than a tepid response anywhere. And once I got an HM in the IPPA for a photo that didn't even make the podium in one of the challenges here. :D

We all bring our own "stuff" to any image we view, so what strikes sparks for one person can be just a damp squib for another. And those reactions might be reversed at a different time or in a different context. The image itself may fix a moment in time forever, but the moment of viewing the image is forever fluid (time, place, context, personal emotions, etc.)
Well said.

View attachment 165871
another I have a soft spot for, but again no real magic apart from people being people
For me the magic in this shot (apart from the lady standing in a paper bag) would be the groupings in & around the shelter. All the different lines-of-sight, people looking this way and that, adds interest to the lone young guy looking in from far L against the wall.

Did you make any shorter crops of this one?

Did you make a purchase?
No, maybe I should have, maybe not. I'd seen her 'father' (gypsy, Roma type) taking a group of kids around the tourist streets, dropping them of with bits to sell.
I assume any money the kids make would have gone in his pocket, maybe to feed the kids, maybe not. It's a tough call, giving them money may help them survive, but it also feeds whatever got them to this point in their lives.

For me the magic in this shot (apart from the lady standing in a paper bag) would be the groupings in & around the shelter. All the different lines-of-sight, people looking this way and that, adds interest to the lone young guy looking in from far L against the wall.

Did you make any shorter crops of this one?
A much tighter crop adorns my Flickr header page, the quality isn't that great though.

This is quite a sad picture, I felt a bad bad taking it..........but I still did.
I think we need to be reminded sometimes of how hard life is for some people and this really tugs on the heartstrings. Wonderful image. Not so great to hear about the man exploiting them.

Last edited:
He just about summed it up nicely John plus he had some interesting shots. He uses the same camera as Eric Kim, the Ricoh gr3 nice and small. Overall the smartphone is a tad easier. You don’t have to worry about the shutter click, the native iPhone is silent. I liked that he got into the selecting of your best shots. Great article and well written

He just about summed it up nicely John plus he had some interesting shots. He uses the same camera as Eric Kim, the Ricoh gr3 nice and small. Overall the smartphone is a tad easier. You don’t have to worry about the shutter click, the native iPhone is silent. I liked that he got into the selecting of your best shots. Great article and well written
Although mainly about the Ricoh, I thought it worth sharing for the technique and the principles are the same no matter what camera you use.

Although mainly about the Ricoh, I thought it worth sharing for the technique and the principles are the same no matter what camera you use.
Interesting - not so easy. The first obstacle for me was the fact that the volume buttons to activate the camera are on the left side of the phone so I had to use my right hand, not natural for me. The best images came with crossing my arms and resting the phone on my right arm but only fine in a standing position - might look a bit weird walking - and quite difficult to press the volume button surreptitiously. The other option is dangling your arm down at the side like he does. Definitely takes a lot of practise to get a straight image. I’d have to get that right before going out and would certainly be difficult not to do a fair amount of chimping to start off with.

I know this is an old thread, but I totally love Street photography as use to shoot a lot over the years, still have some good ish ones on my flickr page with one of them being my best ever. Might restart it again but with my phones.

Last edited:

I know a camera is only a tool of the job, but I really love my GR3 and also like Eric Kim.

I know this is an old thread, but I totally love Street photography as use to shoot a lot over the years, still have some good ish ones on my flickr page with one of them being my best ever. Might restart it again but with my phones.
I do like street photography, also. I have a hard time doing this. I feel like I’m intruding and then feel funny about posting pics of strangers who don’t know I’ve taken their picture. I guess I’ll have to be happy with looking at other’s shots.

I do like street photography, also. I have a hard time doing this. I feel like I’m intruding and then feel funny about posting pics of strangers who don’t know I’ve taken their picture. I guess I’ll have to be happy with looking at other’s shots.

Many years ago I would never try to take a photo of another person without them knowing, but now if I'm on a public space then I say it's fair game and shoot anyone, apart from children as to me that is my big NO NO.

Back
Top Bottom