Signing work?

mahoganyturtle

MobiLurver
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
mel
Is it completely pompous for a newbie like me to want to sign my work? I was thinking about it last night and I guess in this media where photos can be downloaded, printed, shared, used for any purpose outside your control, that perhaps I should just put Mahogany Turtle on there somewhere so if someone does download something of mine to use it's traceable back to me....then I think hmmmm is anyone even going to bother with my work LOL.

Thoughts?

mahoganyturtle said:
Is it completely pompous for a newbie like me to want to sign my work? I was thinking about it last night and I guess in this media where photos can be downloaded, printed, shared, used for any purpose outside your control, that perhaps I should just put Mahogany Turtle on there somewhere so if someone does download something of mine to use it's traceable back to me....then I think hmmmm is anyone even going to bother with my work LOL.

Thoughts?

Nothing wrong to think like that I suggest Iwatermark to your pics

Sent from my iPhone using MobiTog

mahoganyturtle said:
Thanks Emanuel I might go and have a look at the Iwatermark app :D

iWatermark or impression. You should watermark your work. Flickr is bad at others taking your work as there's. DiverDeb had that happen to her recently. Odd thing happened was when someone wanted to add me as a contact on Flickr but had her stuff on his Flickr stream as his own work.

I've gone back and forth with this... I thought the same as you, Mel. Who's going to steal my stuff? :oops:

I thought of creating a low-res+watermarked version of each photo, and that would be the one I upload to Flickr, Facebook, etc. I did it for awhile at first, but then I just never remembered to do it! I'm also WAY too anal, and having dupes and then needing to obsessively keep them organized would make me insane. :eek::barf:

Also, unless you plaster the watermark right across the front of the photo, a person can crop it out if they really want to. So I "released", and I post, and maybe I should watermark it, but I see lots of folks out there who don't (I think AlyZen has a much different view on this topic!) :sneaky:

RoseCat said:
I've gone back and forth with this... I thought the same as you, Mel. Who's going to steal my stuff? :oops:

I thought of creating a low-res+watermarked version of each photo, and that would be the one I upload to Flickr, Facebook, etc. I did it for awhile at first, but then I just never remembered to do it! I'm also WAY too anal, and having dupes and then needing to obsessively keep them organized would make me insane. :eek::barf:

Also, unless you plaster the watermark right across the front of the photo, a person can crop it out if they really want to. So I "released", and I post, and maybe I should watermark it, but I see lots of folks out there who don't (I think AlyZen has a much different view on this topic! :sneaky:).

Agreed! I keep forgetting to put a watermark on mine and I really should do it. When I do remember, it's usually so small I can't even see it!

Thanks everyone food for thought.

Is is a total mobitog crime to add a watermark to the images I've already loaded into flickr using picnik, before it's killed off by google that is :(

Also, unless you plaster the watermark right across the front of the photo, a person can crop it out if they really want to. So I "released", and I post, and maybe I should watermark it, but I see lots of folks out there who don't (I think AlyZen has a much different view on this topic!) :sneaky:

I use Impression to digitally sign my iPhone Art. If I'm releasing unedited work, or general ad-hoc images, I don't sign those images. By putting my signature on my work, I'm simply protecting my work (though, like Catherine says, anyone can crop out or erase a signature quite easily). Copyright of an image belongs to and stays with the originator, unless it is relinquished or specifically shared...however, if faced with suing someone, I'm not sure I could foot the bill or even know where to begin...so by signing an iMage I'm also saying "Hands Off! Share if you must, but you must also give credit where it's due!"! A signed iMage by me is also a way of saying I'm happy with this piece and it's complete.

Aeons ago, my iMages were in an exhibition in the US, but 3 days into the exhibition, I was asked to remove my signature from my iMages, as "the other artists have not signed their works". I refused to do that, not because I thought my work was equal to Van Gogh's or anything like that, but it was like any artist being asked to kindly scrub out their signature so no one knows who painted it!

Back
Top Bottom