• > STAY HOME & STAY SAFE! Dear MobiMembers - We are all aware of the current and serious situation the World is facing right now! We will not repeat what is already said, save to say we hope you will all heed the warnings, stay safe, look after yourselves and others and remain well. As much as we are able, let's all help each other to stay sane in our social distancing/isolation and face this thing down. Much love 'n hugs, Rog, Matt and all your MobiStaff... x x <

sinnerjohn's cabinet of curiosities

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 11 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
Oh yes, those too. In fact, I probably knew them as Jazzies when I was little.
Now I had to look it up !! The nonpareils are what I'd call Hundreds and Thousands or as wiki says, rather non appetizingly, ' Nonpareils are a decorative confectionery of tiny balls made with sugar and starch, traditionally an opaque white but now available in many colors. Their origin is uncertain, but they may have evolved out of the pharmaceutical use of sugar, as they were a miniature version of comfits'
Tiny balls, who knew :rolleyes:
(shhhh I think it only americans who call them nonpareils, what an odd word, not sure I can even say it :D )

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 11 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Now I had to look it up !! The nonpareils are what I'd call Hundreds and Thousands or as wiki says, rather non appetizingly, ' Nonpareils are a decorative confectionery of tiny balls made with sugar and starch, traditionally an opaque white but now available in many colors. Their origin is uncertain, but they may have evolved out of the pharmaceutical use of sugar, as they were a miniature version of comfits'
Tiny balls, who knew :rolleyes:
(shhhh I think it only americans who call them nonpareils, what an odd word, not sure I can even say it :D )
Pronounced non/pa/rales apparently. I think I’ve been saying it wrong all my life - well, when I say “saying it wrong”, I think I can probably count on one finger the amount of times I’ve said that word to date. :lol:

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
The Red Lily beetle.
IMG_20190714_1536202.jpg

Ok not the best close up ever but it serves its purpose.
So back in June I posted a photo of one of these bugs on my 365, not having a clue what it was. It just seemed like a bright red colourful happy little bug. But after watching Gardeners World last week I realised it was a red lily bug, the same one that had been ravaging my lilies. :(
According to the programme, if you pick one up you can hear it 'screaming' and yes its actually true !! I'd say it was more of a squeak than a scream but weird for something so small. You live and learn.

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 11 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
The Red Lily beetle.
View attachment 147256
Ok not the best close up ever but it serves its purpose.
So back in June I posted a photo of one of these bugs on my 365, not having a clue what it was. It just seemed like a bright red colourful happy little bug. But after watching Gardeners World last week I realised it was a red lily bug, the same one that had been ravaging my lilies. :(
According to the programme, if you pick one up you can hear it 'screaming' and yes its actually true !! I'd say it was more of a squeak than a scream but weird for something so small. You live and learn.
And, according to Gardener’s World, it won’t do the plant any harm if they eat the leaves. And it means that your lily plant isn’t happy if they’re eating the plant. :rolleyes:

RoseCat

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
What?? That is bizarre.... I’d love to hear it’s wee voice! Maybe try to pick one up and video tape it? :D