sinnerjohn's cabinet of curiosities

PXL_20200926_110532919-01.jpeg

A week ago Yogi went missing, when I say missing he was around but he wouldn't come back into the house, for food, warmth, love etc.
He eventually came in and was in a very poor state. My daughter Aimee decided to take him to an emergency vet as it was out of hours on a Saturday and she thought he needed some medical attention.
That vets prognosis was that he had had some head trauma but hadn't been hit by a car (which is what I thought had happened) more likely something or probably someone had kicked him in the head.

Anyway he came back with some liquid food and the assurance that it didn't look like any bones had been broken. He was weak because it seems he had not eaten or drank for 2 or 3 days, whatever had happened had traumatised him. Weird thing was, when we tried him on his regular food he would sniff it and then run and hide.

Anyway most of last week he slept and was extremely docile. Towards the end of the week though he seemed to be a little more himself but his head was swelling at the side, things were still not right.

We got an appointment at our regular vets Saturday morning and I took him. She was really helpful and in her opinion it was more likely he had been in a fight (not the first time, Yogi thinks he's a bruiser, but sadly he's a lightweight) and that he now had an abscess on the side of his face.
She shaved his face and was about to push a needle in to see what was happening and lo and behold the abcess burst, literally all over the place, like a very smelly bloodbath!!

So he's now getting back to normal, he has antibiotics and painkiller and he's just as mischievous as ever, desperate to get back into the great outdoors. But for now he's under house arrest :rolleyes:

Last edited:
View attachment 160834

A week ago Yogi went missing, when I say missing he was around but he wouldn't come back into the house, for food, warmth, love etc.
He eventually came in and was in a very poor state. My daughter Aimee decided to take him to an emergency vet as it was out of hours on a Saturday and she thought he needed some medical attention.
That vets prognosis was that he had had some head trauma but hadn't been hit by a car (which is what I thought had happened) more likely something or probably someone had kicked him in the head.

Anyway he came back with some liquid food and the assurance that it didn't look like any bones had been broken. He was weak because it seems he had not eaten or drank for 2 or 3 days, whatever had happened had traumatised him. Weird thing was, when we tried him on his regular food he would sniff it and then run and hide.

Anyway most of last week he slept and was extremely docile. Towards the end of the week though he seemed to be a little more himself but his head was swelling at the side, things were still not right.

We got an appointment at our regular vets Saturday morning and I took him. She was really helpful and in her opinion it was more likely he had been in a fight (not the first time, Yogi thinks he's a bruiser, but sadly he's a lightweight) and that he now had an abscess on the side of his face.
She shaved his face and was about to push a needle in to see what was happening and lo and behold the abcess burst, literally all over the place, like a very smelly bloodbath!!

So he's now getting back to normal, he has antibiotics and painkiller and he's just as mischievous as ever, desperate to get back into the great outdoors. But for now he's under house arrest :rolleyes:
Oh poor Yogi! We’ve had our share of feline abscesses Very stinky indeed.

View attachment 160834

now he's under house arrest :rolleyes:

poor Yogi - must’ve been so painful. So glad you and your family were there and paying attention. That photo made me tear up a bit.

My black cat had an abscess in his mouth from a fight, same-ish story, I didn’t know for ages and only took him to the vet because ‘he wasn’t himself’. It was a bad abscess and I felt really bad that I hadn’t seen it blah blah and the vet told me domestic animals can actively conceal their wounds/ pain /illness as a relic of a survival response, so as not to be abandoned by the herd. Made me both feel better and become more meticulously observant when my animals ‘weren’t themselves’.

View attachment 160834

Ah shame! Glad to hear he is getting back to normal. So worrying.

Is there an update on Yogi’s recovery? Has he finished his ABs? Still on house arrest? (I can’t help thinking of ankle bracelets and sensors in the cat door - alarms going off in faraway offices if the sensor it tripped at the wrong time or not-tripped at the right time)

Is there an update on Yogi’s recovery? Has he finished his ABs? Still on house arrest? (I can’t help thinking of ankle bracelets and sensors in the cat door - alarms going off in faraway offices if the sensor it tripped at the wrong time or not-tripped at the right time)
He's finished his meds and been to see the vet for an all-clear. His fur is growing back slowly, but yes he's still under house arrest.
To be fair the weather in the uk hasn't really been that pleasant for going out anyway.
We tried him with a lead and cat harness but he was definitely not amused and just threw himself on the grass and wouldn't move.
Maybe we'll let him venture out at the weekend. Thanks for asking.

Any news on Yogi? I know it’s been a while and sorry if you’ve already posted something in another thread
No he's fully recovered now, thanks for asking. We're not letting him out at night now, he's always been an outdoor cat so it's a little challenging
keeping him indoors. He doesn't see that its for his own well being!!

PXL_20201106_071348076~2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom