• MobiTog Mantra = "Taken with and processed on a Mobile Device" PLEASE NOTE: MobiTog Rule 4. will be applied to all MobiTog Challenges & Contests. Non-compliance may result in entries being disqualified - you've been notified! > For Terms & Rules Click Here <
  • Ynot consider a regular monthly Donation? It's now doable under the Donate tab! (A Donation of just £1/$1 per month will help cover our costs & assist with updates & improvements) HUGE THANKS to all our generous MobiSupporters!
  • NEW MEMBER NOTICE - Need assistance finding your way around Mobitog? > CLICK HERE FOR HELP SECTION <

Slightly OT, Sony QX-10 and QX-100100

liamski

MobiStarlet
Real Name
Liam Chadzynski
Device
Samsung
While slightly OT (mods delete if necessary), been using the Sony QX-10 and QX-100 for a while. Basically they are Sony Lenses with sensors in which clip directly to your phone. The phone then becomes the viewfinder for the camera via a WiFi link. Great bits of kit, especially the QX-100 which has a massive 1" sensor, Zeiss lenses and incredible picture quality with full control over shutter speed, ISO, Aperture, etc. As I said not strictly phone camera but great add-on to your phone.

20161213_152105.jpg

PICT_20161213_151441.JPG

Venomator

MobiAdmin
Admin
Site Staff
Real Name
Rog...
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
Thanks for the post, although these have been discussed here when they first arrived on the scene Liam... ;)

Whilst they may be a decent 'add-on' for an iPhone in some respects, and for some uses, they certainly do not qualify as a Mobile Device in terms of permissible iMages for posting here... :rog:

liamski

MobiStarlet
Real Name
Liam Chadzynski
Device
Samsung
Thanks for the post, although these have been discussed here when they first arrived on the scene Liam... ;)

Whilst they may be a decent 'add-on' for an iPhone in some respects, and for some uses, they certainly do not qualify as a Mobile Device in terms of permissible iMages for posting here... :rog:
As I said if you feel it is inappropriate please delete this! My apologies...

Venomator

MobiAdmin
Admin
Site Staff
Real Name
Rog...
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
As I said if you feel it is inappropriate please delete this! My apologies...
No, no, I did not suggest it was inappropriate Liam, it is great and absolutely essential our members keep abreast of anything and everything that may be of interest to us as both photographers and mobile artists... :thumbs:

And we all rely on one another to spread the word when something new, or interesting, hits the stage, so thanks again for thinking of your fellow MobiMembers... ;)

But, I always feel it is necessary to clarify what is, or what is not, permissible in terms of iMage posting when the line in the sand may be somewhat hazy, if you get my drift (pun intended!)... :D

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
My 365
My MobiTog 365
While slightly OT (mods delete if necessary), been using the Sony QX-10 and QX-100 for a while. Basically they are Sony Lenses with sensors in which clip directly to your phone. The phone then becomes the viewfinder for the camera via a WiFi link. Great bits of kit, especially the QX-100 which has a massive 1" sensor, Zeiss lenses and incredible picture quality with full control over shutter speed, ISO, Aperture, etc. As I said not strictly phone camera but great add-on to your phone.

View attachment 85568

View attachment 85569
They are really interesting, Liam. I still miss having a camera with a bigger zoom but as all my work is now strictly mobile, I dismissed the idea of getting one. It just becomes too complicated trying to keep the photos separate especially on the ipad which doesn't have physical albums (much to my annoyance) and this is where I now do all my processing.

FundyBrian

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
They look nice but surely it kind of defeats the idea of mobile photography. You may as well just use a DSLR.
Actually, they work great, are much smaller (significantly more mobile) than a DSLR, and you can do things with them you cannot do with a DSLR, such as photographing with the lens remote from the screen. Being connected to an iPhone vastly expands their capability over a DSLR. Olympus makes a nice one, too. I don't own any myself but have often looked at them.
I also have and use, besides iPhone, iPod, iPad, DSLR cameras, compact cameras, underwater compact camera, GoPro cameras, remote controlled quadcopter camera, and probably others.
I can tell you with certainty that each different type of camera tends to move you in a certain direction unique from the others. I find that variety stimulating in my work. Each one covers its own unique territory and expands your way of seeing images differently and you also work differently, often inspiring you to try things you would never attempt with a different camera. If you have ever tried using a GoPro camera you will know exactly what I mean, as a more extreme example.
From long using a DSLR I became accustomed to the 2:3 shape for composing images. Picking up a 4:5 compact camera causes me to compose differently. (Yes, on a cell phone camera you can preselect your image shape in advance, however, any choice besides full frame records a smaller image, meaning it is simply cropped. Now if I could select 2:3 and still have 12 MP I would most certainly do that).
The difference between eyepiece viewing and screen viewing is significant, too. You don't realize how a single device confines your way of seeing until you also use others. The more the merrier.

FundyBrian

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
They are really interesting, Liam. I still miss having a camera with a bigger zoom but as all my work is now strictly mobile, I dismissed the idea of getting one. It just becomes too complicated trying to keep the photos separate especially on the ipad which doesn't have physical albums (much to my annoyance) and this is where I now do all my processing.
I do a huge amount of my photography on iPhone now, maybe more than any other single camera, and all my iPhone photos are processed on iPhone mostly, but some on iPad, too. I only use the computer to back up and file my mobile photos, and also print them. Yes, I have gone mobile in a big way and MobiTog has groomed me towards keeping my mobile work strictly mobile. But I would never consider going mobile-only. That is just too limiting. iDevices are certainly improving but are a long way from replacing other cameras. Maybe someday. We can see what is coming by the new cameras we see attached to mobile phones these days.
Just one area as an example. Cell phone cameras occupy the wide angle end of the image spectrum. iPhone camera lenses are definitely wide angle lenses in the camera world. Even the "tele" lenses only come up to "normal" on a regular camera. A huge amount of photography happens in that normal-to-short-telephoto range. Let's just say 50 up to 135mm. That is a significant limitation on mobile photography. The vast majority of real portrait photography happens in this range.
If you look at any photo editing app on the App Store and examine the sample photos you can immediately see the vast majority of them are DSLR photos made at longer focal lengths. Especially the people photos. It seems misleading to me that apps don't use real iPhone photos for their samples.

MsDee

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Dee
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
They look nice but surely it kind of defeats the idea of mobile photography. You may as well just use a DSLR.
My QX10 was a fill-in for me... I clipped it on my phone, carrying one item. Switching from the iPhone camera and back to the Sony QX10 when I needed real zoom. When I first got the QX10 it was quite laggy, the software wasn't responsive... then after it sat unused for some time, I upgraded the firmware... and the software, great improvements.

As I said, I wore mine out and miss it terribly.

FundyBrian

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
My QX10 was a fill-in for me... I clipped it on my phone, carrying one item. Switching from the iPhone camera and back to the Sony QX10 when I needed real zoom. When I first got the QX10 it was quite laggy, the software wasn't responsive... then after it sat unused for some time, I upgraded the firmware... and the software, great improvements.

As I said, I wore mine out and miss it terribly.
It doesn't speak well of the item's durability. But I bet you had fun using it. Olympus makes a nice one too.

MsDee

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Dee
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
It doesn't speak well of the item's durability. But I bet you had fun using it. Olympus makes a nice one too.
Ok... I may have gotten sand in it. [emoji53]

Loved using a selfie stick to get birds eye view/pics over people. I'm only 5'1" tall... We rigged it so the iPhone attached to the handle end and the QX10 on the top end. [emoji16]

liamski

MobiStarlet
Real Name
Liam Chadzynski
Device
Samsung
The great thing about these is they are small enough to be VERY portable, unlike my DSLR. The QX-100 is also staggeringly good, it is basically a Sony RX100 II (great camera) without a screen or viewfinder. The big 1" sensor and Zeiss opticals give incredible picture quality. The last firmware update gave full control on shutter speed, Aperture, ISO, etc. Plus being detachable you can put them in some very unusual places! Of course my Samsung phone is my primary camera I guess but these are great additions!

liamski

MobiStarlet
Real Name
Liam Chadzynski
Device
Samsung
I've come very close to buying one of these lenses. I've seen how they can be placed for different perspectives and I think it would be interesting to challenge yourself and find new viewpoints.
That's one of the great things about them. I took this picture by putting the QX-100 down by the Kerb on the road on the busy Westminster Bridge and controlled it from the pavement with my phone. Couldn't have done this with my phone or DSLR.....
IMG_20161207_104953.jpg

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I do a huge amount of my photography on iPhone now, maybe more than any other single camera, and all my iPhone photos are processed on iPhone mostly, but some on iPad, too. I only use the computer to back up and file my mobile photos, and also print them. Yes, I have gone mobile in a big way and MobiTog has groomed me towards keeping my mobile work strictly mobile. But I would never consider going mobile-only. That is just too limiting. iDevices are certainly improving but are a long way from replacing other cameras. Maybe someday. We can see what is coming by the new cameras we see attached to mobile phones these days.
Just one area as an example. Cell phone cameras occupy the wide angle end of the image spectrum. iPhone camera lenses are definitely wide angle lenses in the camera world. Even the "tele" lenses only come up to "normal" on a regular camera. A huge amount of photography happens in that normal-to-short-telephoto range. Let's just say 50 up to 135mm. That is a significant limitation on mobile photography. The vast majority of real portrait photography happens in this range.
If you look at any photo editing app on the App Store and examine the sample photos you can immediately see the vast majority of them are DSLR photos made at longer focal lengths. Especially the people photos. It seems misleading to me that apps don't use real iPhone photos for their samples.
Tom still only uses a DSLR and as he feels it's the only thing he's creative in I like him to sort of take that spotlight. The only reason I want a zoom in the first place is so that I can get close-ups to add to my manipulations but if they are not mobile I can't add them anyway. Before mobile phones, Tom did the photography and I did the manipulation (partly for the spotlight reason) and although I used a point-and-click before and occasionally the DSLR, I think I have really grown to love photography through the iphone and am quite happy playing with this 'genre'. However I still love even more enhancing or making something more with a photograph. Same with video.

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
My 365
My MobiTog 365
That's one of the great things about them. I took this picture by putting the QX-100 down by the Kerb on the road on the busy Westminster Bridge and controlled it from the pavement with my phone. Couldn't have done this with my phone or DSLR..... View attachment 85595
Wonderful. How far away can you be from the QX-100 to still be able to control it?

FundyBrian

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
That's one of the great things about them. I took this picture by putting the QX-100 down by the Kerb on the road on the busy Westminster Bridge and controlled it from the pavement with my phone. Couldn't have done this with my phone or DSLR..... View attachment 85595
Very nice indeed.
Note there are no gaps in the light trails. On the iPhone you get gaps unless the light area is sufficiently overlapped.

FundyBrian

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I can control my Olympus TG4 underwater camera from my iPhone and preview the results on-screen. The Olympus Live Comp mode is made specifically for this type of thing without burning out bright areas. I can control my small Canon SR1 the same way.

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
The great thing about these is they are small enough to be VERY portable, unlike my DSLR. The QX-100 is also staggeringly good, it is basically a Sony RX100 II (great camera) without a screen or viewfinder. The big 1" sensor and Zeiss opticals give incredible picture quality. The last firmware update gave full control on shutter speed, Aperture, ISO, etc. Plus being detachable you can put them in some very unusual places! Of course my Samsung phone is my primary camera I guess but these are great additions!
Hmmm and the QX-100 is nearly £400 right?