MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 14 Pro Max
Onsite
Project Page
I recently posted some tips on SnapSeed in one of the image sharing posts, and thought it might be helpful to anyone who is having difficulty figuring out SnapSeed, like I did for the longest time! :confused:

I've recently discovered the wonders of Snapseed (even though I've had it forever). At first I thought it was all about the grunge and vintage filters, which I'm not crazy about so I didn't use the app much. But I've found it's an amazing editing tool. The Drama, Center Focus, Sharpen and Structure tools alone can really bring a shot to life. It's become one of my standard process apps, especially for "unapped" shots.

Tip: When you select any of the functions, swipe up/down on the photo and a set of controls will pop up so that you can adjust details of that function even more (like brightness, contrast, intensity of filter, etc.) Choose the function you want then swipe left or right to add/detract. It really allows you to fine tune. Tapping the right arrow on the bottom will apply all the changes; the left arrow takes you back without applying the changes.

When you choose center focus, tap on the photo and a blue dot appears. Tap and hold the dot and slide it around the photo and you'll see how the lighting changes. Pick a spot you like and then tap the right arrow to apply the filter. You can also pinch the dot to shrink/grow the area that's effected.

It's also worth it to become familiar with the Selective Adjust tool. For some reason it took me awhile to wrap my brain around it, but oh my it's awesome! Let's say there's a small area that's too dark or too bright. Choose Selective Adjust, tap on the plus - + - then tap on the part of the photo you want to tune.

A blue dot will appear. You can pinch the area around the dot and you'll see a red mask appear which shows the area that will be affected. So pinch until just the area you want to fix is red.

Now swipe up/down on the photo and you can adjust brightness, contrast and saturation by choosing one then swiping left or right to add/detract. Once you have what you want tap the right arrow in the bottom to apply the changes.

Hope this is helpful! :thumbs:

:barf:

Had SnapSeed since early days and hardly used it at all... :rog:

You make it sound so easy Cat... :notworthy: ...it would be rude not to give it a go... :D

:barf:

Had SnapSeed since early days and hardly used it at all... :rog:

You make it sound so easy Cat... :notworthy: ...it would be rude not to give it a go... :D
It took me FOREVER to figure this out... but it really is SO easy!! Was just a weird mental block, methinks. Give it a go! It really adds so much to a shot. :thumbs:

Oh happy days. I was just playing with snapseed yesterday and finally figured out how the centre focus works but was puzzled by the selective adjust tool. Now thanks to your tute I finally get it. Thank you, thank you thank you.

Oh happy days. I was just playing with snapseed yesterday and finally figured out how the centre focus works but was puzzled by the selective adjust tool. Now thanks to your tute I finally get it. Thank you, thank you thank you.
Yay!! You're welcome Davinia! :D

I use Snapseed to prepare images, everyday! Good job explaining it Catherine!
I love Details>structure. I may use sharpen a little, but I really push the Structure control. The pro's suggest heavier on the sharpen lighter on structure, but I am preparing images for heavy painting in iColorama and Procreate. Selective adjust rocks! The newer frames are quite nice, my taste leans towards 6 and 7, and I like that you can control the size by pinching. I also use Tume image, most of the time.

Yes, the frames are great! I discovered the pinching bit by mistake, after grumpily complaining how we couldn't adjust them, and one time I must have pinched by mistake and had a total WOW moment. LMAO!!

I use the ambiance and structure adjustments most often, and sometimes drama #1 with B&W. I need to play some more with selected adjust, so thanks for the tips on that!

Great tips Cat, Snapseed is my go to App for my first editing on an image! I would be lost without it! Great tutorials too Jerry!

Good stuff, Catherine! I'd like to point out that I have a two-part tutorial on Snapseed on my blog:
http://enthusiasmnoted.wordpress.com/2012/12/05/iphoneography-apps-snapseed-part-1/
http://enthusiasmnoted.wordpress.com/2012/12/12/iphoneography-apps-snapseed-part-2/

And I also cover some basics over at the New Era Museum:
http://neweramuseum.org/tutorial-01-jerry-robe

(Of course, my name is Jobe, not Robe, but at least it's published!)
Thank you! And I'll be sure to check yours out... I'm sure they'll be very informative!

I recently posted some tips on SnapSeed in one of the image sharing posts, and thought it might be helpful to anyone who is having difficulty figuring out SnapSeed, like I did for the longest time! :confused:

I've recently discovered the wonders of Snapseed (even though I've had it forever). At first I thought it was all about the grunge and vintage filters, which I'm not crazy about so I didn't use the app much. But I've found it's an amazing editing tool. The Drama, Center Focus, Sharpen and Structure tools alone can really bring a shot to life. It's become one of my standard process apps, especially for "unapped" shots.

Tip: When you select any of the functions, swipe up/down on the photo and a set of controls will pop up so that you can adjust details of that function even more (like brightness, contrast, intensity of filter, etc.) Choose the function you want then swipe left or right to add/detract. It really allows you to fine tune. Tapping the right arrow on the bottom will apply all the changes; the left arrow takes you back without applying the changes.

When you choose center focus, tap on the photo and a blue dot appears. Tap and hold the dot and slide it around the photo and you'll see how the lighting changes. Pick a spot you like and then tap the right arrow to apply the filter. You can also pinch the dot to shrink/grow the area that's effected.

It's also worth it to become familiar with the Selective Adjust tool. For some reason it took me awhile to wrap my brain around it, but oh my it's awesome! Let's say there's a small area that's too dark or too bright. Choose Selective Adjust, tap on the plus - + - then tap on the part of the photo you want to tune.

A blue dot will appear. You can pinch the area around the dot and you'll see a red mask appear which shows the area that will be affected. So pinch until just the area you want to fix is red.

Now swipe up/down on the photo and you can adjust brightness, contrast and saturation by choosing one then swiping left or right to add/detract. Once you have what you want tap the right arrow in the bottom to apply the changes.

Hope this is helpful! :thumbs:
Thank you ! I love Snapseed even with my limited experience/use of it. Your tips have made me braver :) Now I'll head over to Jerry JOBE's blog to discover whatthehell 'ambience' and 'structure' do!

Thank you ! I love Snapseed even with my limited experience/use of it. Your tips have made me braver :) Now I'll head over to Jerry JOBE's blog to discover whatthehell 'ambience' and 'structure' do!
From Snapseed online: https://support.google.com/snapseed/

Ambiance
The Ambiance control is a special type of contrast that controls the balance of light in a photo. It can be used to balance backlit photos or to accentuate contrasts throughout your photo. Swipe right for photos where the subject is darker than the background. Swipe left to increase the contrast of dark objects and create a slight glow around darker objects. This is especially helpful in photos that are slightly flat.

Structure
Swipe to the right to increase the amount of details of your photo. Structure uses a unique algorithm to bring out the texture of objects throughout the photo, without affecting the edges of objects.

From Snapseed online: https://support.google.com/snapseed/

Ambiance
The Ambiance control is a special type of contrast that controls the balance of light in a photo. It can be used to balance backlit photos or to accentuate contrasts throughout your photo. Swipe right for photos where the subject is darker than the background. Swipe left to increase the contrast of dark objects and create a slight glow around darker objects. This is especially helpful in photos that are slightly flat.

Structure
Swipe to the right to increase the amount of details of your photo. Structure uses a unique algorithm to bring out the texture of objects throughout the photo, without affecting the edges of objects.
Thankyoukindly, Larry - much appreciated! Makes perfect sense now you explain it! If you ever need to know anything about Lacanian psychoanalysis, give me a call :)

In the desktop version you can use the upoint technology within tune image. In the ipad version you are limited to saturation brightness and contrast. Is there a workaround or is it coming to Snapseed. In fact , if you could use the selective adjustment for others like sharpening it would be really neat

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom