• > STAY SAFE - WEAR A MASK - or whatever way you choose to deal with this thing! Dear MobiMembers - We are all aware of the still current serious situation facing us all right now! Continue to heed the warnings, stay safe, look after yourselves and others and remain well. As much as we are able, let's all help each other to stay sane in our social distancing/isolation and face this thing down. Much love 'n hugs, Rog, Matt and all your MobiStaff... x x <

Stargazing and photography

Katherine

MobiStarter
Reaction score
Real Name
Katherine
Hello, I found this site when searching for good apps to use when taking pictures of stars. I'm doing an online course at FutureLearn which required me to take pics of Orion - I didn't have a good enough camera so tried the iPhone. I found an app called Night Cap pro which did the job ok. It seems that's the only app out there that's good enough - I don't know if others know of any better ones? I'd love to know.
Interested in seeing what else my phone camera can do as well. :)

Reaction score
Real Name
Philippe Schlossberg
That's probably the best app to shoot night scenes etc ... on iPhone. Now ProCamera just released a new iap for their app, a "special" low light mode, I haven't tried it yet.

That being said the issue on mobile phone cameras when it comes to low light remains the ISO limit, which is 2000 on a 6s. Better use a good tripod to shoot stars ;)

RoseCat

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
Welcome to MobiTog Katherine! Funny that you found us by searching "the heavens", so to speak. :lol: So glad you joined us, as this is THE perfect place to learn and grow your photography and app skills, all while having a fun time and meeting lots of fab MobiPeeps. :D

Be sure to check out the Apps Discussion forum, and feel free to post your question there as well - we have lots of avid app users here, several who are knowledgeable with night/low light photography: http://www.mobitog.com/forums/apps-discussion.24/

Here's some information that might prove useful as you find your way around:

Visit our "How Do I..." forum, where you'll find all sorts of tips and tricks to help you find your way around more easily: How Do I...

The MobiTog Community is set out in four main areas or sections:

Community
Here we welcome everyone, post announcements and take in your suggestions and comments.

Image Sharing
Self-explanatory and broken down into sub-sections clearly named to make it easy to find a topic of your choice. It is here that you post your images.

Mobitography Discussion
For general conversations and discussions about all things mobile photography related.

Members Area
An exclusive MobiMembers-only section. Feel free to discuss things with other members - and find out about Top Secret stuff not for public consumption!

Important note: Please remember that only images originated on a mobile device (iOS or Android) can be posted to this community. No pictures created on a DSLR or compact camera are allowed.

Handy Tip: At the top of the site in the orange bar you'll see "New Posts", and clicking/tapping on it will take you to all the unread new posts that occurred since your last visit. Note: If there's just too many there to deal with, and you're really anal like me you can go up to the top and select "Mark Discussions Read" - and choose just a specific area to 'clear out', for example App Discussions, or choose all discussions which will clear everything and allow you to sort of 'start fresh'. That way the next time you go into New Posts, there will just be the most recent posts since you "erased" everything.

Also when you hover over your username in the very top right, you have an option to choose "Ignore New Posts", and select any forums/discussions that you DON'T want to show up.

We have lots of great challenges to help hone your skills and have loads of fun doing it, like Vix's MobiMono, ZenJenny's Levels of Abstraction (LOA), and a fun group challenge, Elements of Surprise (EOS), and a super interesting and fun challenge Time Stamp where everyone around the globe posts up an image on the same day and time. Check them out in our Competitions & Challenges forum!!

Lastly, if you have any questions on anything at all be sure to give us a shout out!

lisamjw

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
Reaction score
Real Name
Lisa Waddell
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
Hi Katherine and welcome to Mobitog! You've come to the right place to see what else your iPhone camera can do! looking forward to seeing your images.

zenjenny

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
jen
Device
iPhone 6s Plus
Welcome to MobiTog, Katherine - do hope you are going to post your Orion images here when you have them!
If you plug 'Astronomy' 'night cap pro' 'orion' 'night sky' and similar into our search function you will find various images and discussions that should be relevant. For instance vixenscry Victoria took a great shot of Orion some time ago using NightCapPro:

http://www.mobitog.com/threads/orions-belt.10126/#post-105173

The technology advances so quickly, though - and we'd be most interested to hear what your own research turns up!
Best of luck with the assignment!

FotoLumos

MobiPassionista
Reaction score
Real Name
Tara Lyn Joseph
Welcome, Katherine!

I'm afraid I don't know much about astrophotography (though, I'd like to!). NightCap Pro and AvgNightCam have given me the best results with shooting the moon. Definitely use a tripod.

I have read that there are mounts you can get to attach your phone to a telescope viewfinder (if you have access to one). That might be something to explore, too.