Mobi52 Starzee’s Project 52 - 2020

Collaging Again
Procreate, Imaengine
811506DE-1343-4EF2-8453-4F52868002A0.jpeg

In a change from the norm....we have been trying to find this cemetery for a month. It started when a fellow at one of our favorite swamp-critter-and-birdwatching spots told us about an old cemetery he has found when he was hiking down one of the trails. We tried hiking out a few times, but even though the options are limited as it borders on posted property and corn fields, we couldn’t find it. I did some research on the name he mentioned, “Carncross” and it led me to a website that chronicled 256 cemeteries in our county alone. It had links to several surrounding counties as well. While the name showed up in several cemeteries (it is a name of one of the roads in the area) I couldn’t locate a specific cemetery in that place. Then, one fateful day, we were driving along and spotted a sign “Old Galen Cemetery”. :rolleyes: Boy, did we feel foolish. Here we’d been searching for this place and there was a sign AND a path. Also a bunch of no parking signs signs all along the road. Hiking in from our spot seemed the best, and most pleasant option. I went back to google and found that cemetery was one of the chronicled ones. The main name the website listed was Carneross. Anyway, yesterday we finally found it.

DEF48307-FC95-4FED-BC19-154ADB302A43.jpeg
460A1737-18D6-439F-898E-5FACEAAA82FB.jpeg
74F13011-E1D7-4175-9CCF-5ECBAE8F9D73.jpeg

Wow, what a magical place! But is it near a town? It seems a bit remote to take a body to be buried here, or maybe it’s not that remote.
No, it’s in a woods off a back road. There are dozens of family cemeteries around here. Our area is full of hills and drumlins that make for winding roads and villages were mostly along rivers and the canal after it was built. I guess it was easier to bury people in the back yard if you happened to be a homesteader or farmer.

It’s cool that someone is keeping the path open and the cemetery itself mowed. I have to find a new one to seek out. It’s kinda interesting.

Old cemeteries are always interesting. I particularly like the sign across the trail, reminds my of the new film version of Stephen King's Pet Cemetery.
I confess I had to Google 'drumlin', not a word I hear a lot in England.
I love our drumlins. I’ve always wanted to build a Hobbit Hole into the side of one.

In a change from the norm....we have been trying to find this cemetery for a month. It started when a fellow at one of our favorite swamp-critter-and-birdwatching spots told us about an old cemetery he has found when he was hiking down one of the trails. We tried hiking out a few times, but even though the options are limited as it borders on posted property and corn fields, we couldn’t find it. I did some research on the name he mentioned, “Carncross” and it led me to a website that chronicled 256 cemeteries in our county alone. It had links to several surrounding counties as well. While the name showed up in several cemeteries (it is a name of one of the roads in the area) I couldn’t locate a specific cemetery in that place. Then, one fateful day, we were driving along and spotted a sign “Old Galen Cemetery”. :rolleyes: Boy, did we feel foolish. Here we’d been searching for this place and there was a sign AND a path. Also a bunch of no parking signs signs all along the road. Hiking in from our spot seemed the best, and most pleasant option. I went back to google and found that cemetery was one of the chronicled ones. The main name the website listed was Carneross. Anyway, yesterday we finally found it.

View attachment 159835View attachment 159836View attachment 159837
Lovely images, Star. My sort of place.

I don’t know why, but I hadn’t posted this here or on Instagram. Apparently the only place I did post it was Flickr. I got an email over the weekend from Nicki Fitz Gerald asking to use in her Apps Uncovered article.
B7016774-3B97-44BE-9989-B78952E2F6A8.jpeg

Article here.

I have only recently started posting to the IPhoneography Central page. I owe ImageArt Ann a thank you for leading me to it.

I don’t know why, but I hadn’t posted this here or on Instagram. Apparently the only place I did post it was Flickr. I got an email over the weekend from Nicki Fitz Gerald asking to use in her Apps Uncovered article.
View attachment 160211
Article here.

I have only recently started posting to the IPhoneography Central page. I owe ImageArt Ann a thank you for leading me to it.
Congrats on the feature Star.

Back
Top Bottom