Still Enjoying My Xiaomi Mi 9 Smartphone!

camperbc

MobiStarlet
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Glen
Here are a few more of my Fogo Island (Newfoundland, Canada) landscapes from yesterday, as captured with my Xiaomi Mi 9. All were taken handheld with no editing, aside from resizing/cropping.

trail/steps leading to the summit of Fogo Head, on Fogo Island's northeastern shore

Ancient cannon (circa 1600's) guarding Fogo Harbour

traditional fishing stage, and timber wharf with lobster traps in the community of Joe Batt's Arm

old rock wall on Fogo Island

more traditional fishing stages and wharves in the community of Joe Batt's Arm, on Fogo Island

Here are a few more of my Fogo Island (Newfoundland, Canada) landscapes from yesterday, as captured with my Xiaomi Mi 9. All were taken handheld with no editing, aside from resizing/cropping.

trail/steps leading to the summit of Fogo Head, on Fogo Island's northeastern shore
View attachment 149821

View attachment 149822

traditional fishing stage, and timber wharf with lobster traps in the community of Joe Batt's Arm
View attachment 149823

View attachment 149824

more traditional fishing stages and wharves in the community of Joe Batt's Arm, on Fogo Island
View attachment 149825
Great photos! Beautiful scenery.

View attachment 149821

View attachment 149822

View attachment 149823

View attachment 149824

View attachment 149825
What a beautiful place... :hearteyes:

View attachment 149821

View attachment 149822

View attachment 149823

View attachment 149824

View attachment 149825
Wow, what a place! And I see there’s another community on the other side of the bay. Where is that?

View attachment 149821

View attachment 149822

View attachment 149823

View attachment 149824

View attachment 149825
Beautiful, all great images :thumbs:

About the phone, is that the one with 48mp? I never understand mega pixels, used to be more was better, my old LG had 16 but Samsung, Google and Apple have recently hovered around 12 (albeit bigger pixels, whatever that means :confused: ).
Do you think more mp's make for a better image?

Wow, what a place! And I see there’s another community on the other side of the bay. Where is that?
JillyG, that is still Joe Batt's Arm, but on the other side of the harbour. These Newfoundland outport communities generally have small populations, yet cover large areas. For instance, we live in the village of Island Harbour which has only about 100 residents, yet our community is spread out over an area 2 to 3 kilometres in size.

JillyG, that is still Joe Batt's Arm, but on the other side of the harbour. These Newfoundland outport communities generally have small populations, yet cover large areas. For instance, we live in the village of Island Harbour which has only about 100 residents, yet our community is spread out over an area 2 to 3 kilometres in size.
It’s like another world compared to our crowded little island.

Beautiful, all great images :thumbs:

About the phone, is that the one with 48mp? I never understand mega pixels, used to be more was better, my old LG had 16 but Samsung, Google and Apple have recently hovered around 12 (albeit bigger pixels, whatever that means :confused: ).
Do you think more mp's make for a better image?
Thanks John! Yes, the Xiaomi Mi 9 is capable of capturing a 48 MP image. I have been experimenting with the 48MP main sensor as compared to the 12MP "pixel-binned" results, and I can now state with absolute certainty that in very good light, I am seeing much better detail from the 48MP photos. But obviously in less-than-ideal lighting you're better off to just let the Mi 9's built-in software perform its pixel-binning magic... which results in a nicely-detailed, noise-free 12MP image.

It’s like another world compared to our crowded little island.
It's perhaps worth noting that the population density of England is 259 people per sq/km, whereas the Canadian province of Newfoundland has just 1 person per sq/km! (Canada as a whole has 3.7 people per sq/km) So it's not looking as though Newfoundland will become crowded anytime soon... nor Canada as a whole, for that matter.

Well it's been awhile since I last posted some Newfoundland landscapes, so I'm adding a few new ones, taken this afternoon. With everything that has been going on lately, between all of this COVID-19 stuff, and also the truly horrific mass-shooting in our neighbouring province of Nova Scotia, I'd had quite enough with watching/reading all of the terrible news, and decided that I needed to take a short stroll to our shoreline directly in front of our oceanfront home on Fogo Island, and just take some pictures! (no worries regarding isolating, as there was not one other living soul within shouting distance!)

All of these images were captured handheld using my trusty Xiaomi Mi 9 phone. They are straight from the phone with no editing done, except to resize for posting on here.

Well it's been awhile since I last posted some Newfoundland landscapes, so I'm adding a few new ones, taken this afternoon. With everything that has been going on lately, between all of this COVID-19 stuff, and also the truly horrific mass-shooting in our neighbouring province of Nova Scotia, I'd had quite enough with watching/reading all of the terrible news, and decided that I needed to take a short stroll to our shoreline directly in front of our oceanfront home on Fogo Island, and just take some pictures! (no worries regarding isolating, as there was not one other living soul within shouting distance!)

All of these images were captured handheld using my trusty Xiaomi Mi 9 phone. They are straight from the phone with no editing done, except to resize for posting on here.

Hi Glen... so lovely to see you, and thank you for brightening our days with your beautiful images.
My heart breaks for all the victims and their families in Nova Scotia.... such a horrible, unnecessary tragedy. :coldsweat:

Hello Glen, hard to find good news at the moment isn't it. Great images though, I especially like the ones with the red cabins :thumbs:

Hi Glen... so lovely to see you, and thank you for brightening our days with your beautiful images.
My heart breaks for all the victims and their families in Nova Scotia.... such a horrible, unnecessary tragedy. :coldsweat:
Thank-you Catherine, for your kind comments; very much appreciated! No, 2020 is certainly not off to a very good start.

Wonderful images Glen. Yes, we’ve missed your Fogo Island seascapes. Do you have to resize them for Mobitog? I thought Mobitog did it as we loaded them, but I could be wrong. I think there’s a restriction on how many you can put in a post (3), but that shouldn’t stop you posting lots of, er, posts. :D

Wonderful images Glen. Yes, we’ve missed your Fogo Island seascapes. Do you have to resize them for Mobitog? I thought Mobitog did it as we loaded them, but I could be wrong. I think there’s a restriction on how many you can put in a post (3), but that shouldn’t stop you posting lots of, er, posts. :D
I was going to say to camperbc Glen, why are you re-sizing man!! I never bother and MobiTog sorts it out anyway :)

Thanks Jilly, I didn't realize that there is a limit of three photos... sorry about that. Regarding my resizing of pics, I have been shrinking them simply because the file sizes of the photos from my phone's 48MP sensor are enormous, and we unfortunately have a very limited amount of bandwidth with our ridiculously expensive satellite internet service, and as I need to drastically shrink the files down to be able to post them to my photography website anyway, I simply use these same downsized images to post on here as well. Plus my friends/family likely wouldn't be too happy with me if every photo I email to them is 30+ mb is size! ;)

Thanks Jilly, I didn't realize that there is a limit of three photos... sorry about that. Regarding my resizing of pics, I have been shrinking them simply because the file sizes of the photos from my phone's 48MP sensor are enormous, and we unfortunately have a very limited amount of bandwidth with our ridiculously expensive satellite internet service, and as I need to drastically shrink the files down to be able to post them to my photography website anyway, I simply use these same downsized images to post on here as well. Plus my friends/family likely wouldn't be too happy with me if every photo I email to them is 30+ mb is size! ;)
Oh no, I didn’t mean that you shouldn’t post more, it was just that, if you had tried and got a message, that could have been the reason. We love seeing your images, so post hundreds!! :lol: Ohhhhh, that explains it. Whatever is easy for you. And if you can post more images in one post, then continue to do so.:thumbs:

Oh no, I didn’t mean that you shouldn’t post more, it was just that, if you had tried and got a message, that could have been the reason. We love seeing your images, so post hundreds!! :lol: Ohhhhh, that explains it. Whatever is easy for you. And if you can post more images in one post, then continue to do so.:thumbs:
Thanks Jilly, you're the best!!

Back
Top Bottom