Stuck in recovery mode

BorisTheCrab

MobiPassionista
Real Name
Chris Spencer-Brown
Yesterday I updated my iPhone to iOS 8.1 but it failed and my phone is now stuck in recovery mode. I have tried updating it through iTunes and restoring to back up but it keeps saying that it can't be done. Only option is to restore it to factory settings. I have spoken to Apple and they suggested a few things but to no avail.

I'm not concerned about restoring it but there are a few photos that I can't lose of my daughters 1st birthday which I hadn't backed up.

Do any of you clever mobi folk know of any software I can use to recover said photos. I have tried various programs to kick it out of recovery mode but it's like a vicious circle and keeps going back to recovery mode. It's been in dfu mode as well but keeps falling back.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

If it is bricked and having issues with restoring from backup then all you can do is restore to factory.
I have run into this a few times on my iPad where it gets to start reloading apps and hangs or stops or simply ignores some apps that were on it. The one thing I have always found is I have not lost images as they along with contacts and other info are restored prior to apps being restored so they have always been restored even if it ultimately failed doing a complete restore.
I back up the iPad to the desktop every couple of days so have always been able to reinstall images or videos from Aperture if need be but so far I haven't.

I am not aware of software for recovering data from a bricked iPhone/iPad.

Out of curiosity try iexplorer for the desktop or ifunbox both will normally connect to the iPhone/iPad and let you see what's on it as well as move files back and forth from/to the desktop, have not tried it with a bricked iPad so don't know if it works or not.

Last edited:
Thanks for replying. I have tried both of those programs along with a couple of others. iExplorer recognised my phone but when I tried to search for things, it said my iPhone couldn't be used with the advanced search. All the others didn't pick my phone up at all.

A factory reset has been done, some photos were lost. It's my own fault for not backing up frequently and using my cloud drives often! Lesson learnt!

Yes that sucks that you lost some. I have had issues like this with my iPad so I back up at least once every couple days, especially photos, most other stuff can be replaced or redone, photos unfortunately can't. Do you have iCloud on? If so you could get the last 1000 or so from there.

In the words of our technical support, and please excuse the slightly technical terminology thingies, when asked what chance of recovering iMages... :whistle:

"None - he's buggered if not got iCloud backup or if not in photo stream." ... :rog:

I'm not concerned about restoring it but there are a few photos that I can't lose of my daughters 1st birthday which I hadn't backed up.

Do any of you clever mobi folk know of any software I can use to recover said photos. I have tried various programs to kick it out of recovery mode but it's like a vicious circle and keeps going back to recovery mode. It's been in dfu mode as well but keeps falling back.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Check it was in iCloud or not. If you turned on iCloud, there is a big chance to find those deleted photos. P.S. in iOS 8 and later, there is a folder called recently deleted photos, which you can restore it from there too.

Yes that sucks that you lost some. I have had issues like this with my iPad so I back up at least once every couple days, especially photos, most other stuff can be replaced or redone, photos unfortunately can't. Do you have iCloud on? If so you could recover the last 1000 or so from there.

As far as i see, most of the iPhone users don't back up their data. So this happens a lot and similar questions pop up again and again.

yeah ... for some reason when an iOS update fails and the device gets into recovery mode .... sometimes ... updating via iTunes without losing anything works, it did once on my wife's iPad ... and yes, some other times it doesn't [emoji3] ... like it failed on my old iPhone 4s ... but I had a backup. Using iPhone or iPad with no backup is suicidal [emoji6]

Check it was in iCloud or not. If you turned on iCloud, there is a big chance to find those deleted photos. P.S. in iOS 8 and later, there is a folder called recently deleted photos, which you can restore it from there too.

Oh, thank you very much!

Thanks for replying. I have tried both of those programs along with a couple of others. iExplorer recognised my phone but when I tried to search for things, it said my iPhone couldn't be used with the advanced search. All the others didn't pick my phone up at all.

A factory reset has been done, some photos were lost. It's my own fault for not backing up frequently and using my cloud drives often! Lesson learnt!

you have to do a hard reboot ... i think you have to hold down the power button and the home button down for 10 seconds let go of the power button while still holding down the home button wait for about a couple of seconds you should be at a black screen... Afterwards plug your iphone into your computer bring up itunes and restore your iphone.. that sucks man you lost everything thats what sucks about the iphone when you jailbreak it thats when everything goes bad... well goodluck. If your data was lost, you can also restore your iPhone form iTunes backup or directly scan and recover photos on iPhone without backup.

you have to do a hard reboot ... i think you have to hold down the power button and the home button down for 10 seconds let go of the power button while still holding down the home button wait for about a couple of seconds you should be at a black screen... Afterwards plug your iphone into your computer bring up itunes and restore your iphone.. that sucks man you lost everything thats what sucks about the iphone when you jailbreak it thats when everything goes bad... well goodluck. If your data was lost, you can also restore your iPhone form iTunes backup or directly scan and recover photos on iPhone without backup.

Hope it works.

iPhone Data Recovery allows you to recover up to 9 types of data directly from all iPhones, iPads and iPods' iTunes backup records, such as call history, messages, contacts, notes, web history, calendar, voice memos, photos, videos and more. You even have the ability to preview any data you lost before recovery.

iPhone Data Recovery allows you to recover up to 9 types of data directly from all iPhones, iPads and iPods' iTunes backup records, such as call history, messages, contacts, notes, web history, calendar, voice memos, photos, videos and more. You even have the ability to preview any data you lost before recovery.
Wow... I never knew that! :thumbs;

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
How to fix iPhone stuck in recovery mode? iPhone Data Recovery allows you to recover up to 9 types of data directly from all iPhones, iPads and iPods' iTunes backup records, such as call history, messages, contacts, notes, web history, calendar, voice memos, photos, videos and more. You even have the ability to preview any data you lost before recovery.
I am looking for a way to solve this problem of iPhone stuck in recovery mode , do you have any solution for us ?

I'm also searching for a working solution to solve, any advice pleasssssse help?
Hi Momo! Welcome to MobiTog! We have lots of helpful people here so hopefully you will be able to solve your issue... More details as to the issue needing solving would be helpful to post.

Also when you have a moment, please pop by the Welcome Forum and introduce yourself. :D https://www.mobitog.com/forums/welcome.2/

Sad to hear that. I have an old iphone 5s and stuck in recovery mode too. still look for possible answers

Sad to hear that. I have an old iphone 5s and stuck in recovery mode too. still look for possible answers
Have you tried the app Little Umbrella for Windows or Mac. Failing that the only other way is to do a complete restore which means you would lose all data that hasn’t been backed up.

Back
Top Bottom