Sumo Wrestler

Unkei

MobiPassionista
Real Name
David
Device
iPhone SE
image.jpg
I carved this a few years back and it hangs in a local sushi bar in Columbus, Ohio.
iPod Mini, Native Camera, Photoshop Touch
Unkei

Last edited:
Hey David ... what a cool creation & story, do you have a larger copy of the image ?

Hey David ... what a cool creation & story, do you have a larger copy of the image ?

Hi Darren,
No, unfortunately not. After I carved it, I gave it to the Sushi Bar owner who was a good friend of ours from Japan.
The only photo I took with the mobile device was this one. I may have the original DSLR image in a portfolio of my work here. If I can find it I'll take a larger photo with the iPod Touch. If all goes well, I'll be picking up the newer model with the 5 mp camera tomorrow. My old one is the 4th Gen with the .5 or .7 mp, and just does not work well. But I refuse to buy the 8mp iPhone, as I'm happy with my "dumb phone", and don't want to pay for data just to email my photos! YMMV! I did a lot of Japanes style woodcarvings early on, and my chop at left is how I signed them. Unkei, was a 12th century Japanese sculptor, famous in Japan for his sculptures of the Buddha.
Cheers,
Dave

Yes,
My wife and I worked different shifts as police officers. When she was working days I used to take my things down to the river where I could work surrounded by natures beauty. I had a canvas roll of chisels and knives, and I used a 200 year old rolled leather mallet to strike some of the chisels with. Some of my chisels were used in a paring mode held between thumb and forefinger. This was for extremely fine detail work. Some of these chisels were only millimeters wide. Others were 1 1/2 inches wide. Most of the larger ones were 100 to 200 years old. I some times attracted the interest of children, and with their parents permission, would guide them in lightly using the mallet to strike a chisel on a piece of scrap wood which I carried just for this purpose. The kids were fascinated.
Though I have done many kinds of woodwork in my life..I would have to count these hours as the most enjoyable and memorable.
Unkei
5D2C5A1C-A6CF-4D28-8B9C-DC7B6BFEB04D.jpeg

4E189F24-24B6-443D-952F-86443F364794.jpeg

Yes,
My wife and I worked different shifts as police officers. When she was working days I used to take my things down to the river where I could work surrounded by natures beauty. I had a canvas roll of chisels and knives, and I used a 200 year old rolled leather mallet to strike some of the chisels with. Some of my chisels were used in a paring mode held between thumb and forefinger. This was for extremely fine detail work. Some of these chisels were only millimeters wide. Others were 1 1/2 inches wide. Most of the larger ones were 100 to 200 years old. I some times attracted the interest of children, and with their parents permission, would guide them in lightly using the mallet to strike a chisel on a piece of scrap wood which I carried just for this purpose. The kids were fascinated.
Though I have done many kinds of woodwork in my life..I would have to count these hours as the most enjoyable and memorable.
Unkei
View attachment 171963
View attachment 171964
I love your care and attention to the craft and the tools. Sounds very mindful and fulfilling.

Back
Top Bottom