terse fragments

IMG_9896.jpeg

Zantedeschia

Are these white calla lilies? I have some, always thought they were a different species than the coloured ones.
I'm really unclear about that, and so is the PlantNet app. Sometimes they get tagged as callas or calla lilies, sometimes as arum lilies, and sometimes other things. Articles about them usually say "also called..." followed by half a dozen names. One place says

Zantedeschias are bold and exotic-looking. Hardy types (arum lilies) have large, elegant white flowers that stand on tall stems above lush, glossy leaves. Tender types (calla lilies) are smaller, but their flowers come in a wide choice of vibrant tropical colours.​
And wikipedia says about Zantedeschia

Common names include arum lily for Z. aethiopica, calla and calla lily for Z. elliottiana and Z. rehmannii. However, members of this genus are not true lilies (which belong to the family Liliaceae), and the genera Arumand Calla, although related, are distinct from Zantedeschia, despite visual similarities.​
And I call them Easter lilies. :thinking:

Two different crops of the same photo. I originally shot this in vertical orientation and cropped it that way for MCC. But then I wondered if it would look better with a horizontal crop -- I'm still not sure. Any opinions?

View attachment 200724

View attachment 200725
Maybe the horizontal is better. Draws more attention to the human and the garbage (?). At least that was my first thought. Now I’m not so sure :alien:

Two different crops of the same photo. I originally shot this in vertical orientation and cropped it that way for MCC. But then I wondered if it would look better with a horizontal crop -- I'm still not sure. Any opinions?

View attachment 200724

View attachment 200725
I like the horizontal. It looks like a dystopia sort of image. Human and a pile of urban rubble.

Horizontal for me, too, same reasons as Star and Eva. As well, I like that the horizontal crop heightens the sense of different levels and depth. The buildings and trees forming the horizon are clearer in this crop. I see more of the rubble ‘under’ the walkway — and my eye is drawn across the image by the two nicely spread humans - first upright, then seated or crouched - and plonk! Into the pile of rubble. The askew bit of concrete and pipe is perfect . . . bit reminiscent of a Halloween graveyard image (maybe that’s what gives the dystopian vibe in such a gloriously lit image )

Thanks, all. I had the same sort of reaction to the pile of dredge fittings -- remains of some collapsed civilization. I don't often get out for sunsets, but Lorraine and her brother were off on a road trip, so I didn't have to worry about dinner (except for Hodge).

Back
Top Bottom