terse fragments

DM‘ing my home address :D
No plums yet, but in the meantime:

Evil Mad Scientist Plum Chutney

Original recipe: https://www.evilmadscientist.com/2010/plum-chutney/

My variation:

8 cups cut up plums, pits removed, skins on
3 lemons, cut into small pieces, seeds removed [Note 1]
juice from 3 more lemons (or 6 Tbsp lemon juice)
2 Tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and grated (a microplane works great)
1 Tbsp cumin seeds
1 stick of cinnamon
3/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 to 3 Tbsp garam masala [Note 2]
Optional: 1 cup water [Note 3]
Optional: 2 cups brown sugar [Note 4] or sugar substitute

Note 1: Yes, the recipe calls for chopping up the entire lemon, skin and all. If you find the results too bitter after your first try, just use the zest and the lemon, discarding the pith. Take care to get all the seeds out -- that's the most tedious part of the prep.

Note 2: Garam masala is an Indian spice mixture, which you can usually find in any natural food store that carries bulk spices. It's the signature accent of this chutney, and I love it, so I use quite a bit. You can use less (or more!).

Note 3: The original recipe calls for 1 cup water, but it makes a fairly thin chutney. Depending on how juicy your plums are, you can use less, or even none at all. Try starting to cook without water, or with only a little, and adding more if needed for the consistency you want. For the last batch I made, I added no water at all, and it worked fine.

Note 4: The original recipe calls for 4 cups of brown sugar, too sweet for me. Depending on your tastes and your plums, you can also make it without any added sugar at all.

Step 1: Put everything except the sugar (and possibly the water) into a large pot (large enough to hold everything and still leave some headroom so that it doesn't bubble over).

Step 2: Cook on med-hi until plums soften.

Step 3: Add sugar, if using, and stir in.

Step 4: Reduce heat some and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until it reaches the consistency you like. (I like it thick and chunky.) Add water if needed as you go. Take care with heat and stirring to make sure it doesn't burn on the bottom.

Step 5: Traditionally, you'd preserve the finished chutney in jars the way your grandmother taught you. However, you can also freeze it in small containers and then thaw (with a boost from the microwave) when needed. I've done both, and while freezing probably doesn't result in as much blending, the chutney is still very good, and freezing is less hassle. Also, the lemon & ginger are quite sharp immediately after brewing the chutney, but they settle down with time.

4A42A830-E3B2-40BF-B4EF-75E1720A7C57.jpeg

Portrait of an egret

love that edit - like a lino cut.:hearteyes:
:hearteyecat: That's what I hoped. When I cropped the original photo, it struck me that the water had a bit of a linocut look, so I used iColorama (mostly) to push it further in that direction. (OK, a lot further.) I ran off several variations (as usual :rolleyes: ) and blended two of them together.

Ohhhh, I love that show. I’ve seen it quite a few times (dressed in corset and fishnet stockings!!!).
I’ve seen it as a young adult for the first time in the early 2000s and I thought it was very cray cray! Very creative though! Would watch again, maybe when Joana is in her early 20s :D assuming people will still be watching movies then, who knows!

4637ECEA-5752-4C48-B900-F826EC3C0B01.jpeg

The Elder Bus with scars of a long life
I once owned the model previous to this one, with the same taillights but the smaller rear window. It was blessedly easy to remove the engine from these, which was a good thing because I had to do it several times. I eventually had to give up on it when the transmission died -- too expensive to replace and beyond my skills to fix. So I bought a banged up bug without an engine and transplanted the engine from the bus.

Im really liking this. I’m not sure why, is it the minimalistic style I see, is it the abstract value? I think I’d say both. This is the sort of image I’d be wrecking with my experimeting ( I’m gonna take a long time discovering what apps and style my journey of imaging I favour).

edit, my apologies, I’m messing up how to reply with the image number in a post.

Im really liking this. I’m not sure why, is it the minimalistic style I see, is it the abstract value? I think I’d say both. This is the sort of image I’d be wrecking with my experimeting ( I’m gonna take a long time discovering what apps and style my journey of imaging I favour).

edit, my apologies, I’m messing up how to reply with the image number in a post.
Thanks. For me, it was the minimalism, plus the asymmetric arrangement, plus the brilliant blue behind the black. I thought about trying to mess with it in some other apps to create vaiants, but I couldn't see what to do, so I left it alone.

A few years back if you had told someone this was taken with a mobile phone, you would have got laughed at in disbelief.
And people still go on about things like that in various photo forums around the web, burrowing further and further in to show DSLRs are better. :rolleyes: I don't doubt that, but the phones are still better than I am, so they're well past the point of "good enough." I wonder if someone will start a lomography-type movement using only older phones to weed out the professionals and aspiring professionals and leave just the people who do it for fun.

(No, I'm not ready to do that just yet. :lmao: )

Back
Top Bottom