terse fragments

3ABE3AD2-B5C4-4B21-877E-D24E7BB43BB2.jpeg

Parliament of the egrets
BeCasso (Toon)

California's late summer bounty: wildfires. For the past week and more, we've been in a heat wave with temps reaching 100 on a few days and no wind, not even a breeze. 3 am Sunday brought an almost rainless summer thunderstorm -- rare in this part of California -- with 2500 lightning strikes recorded in the mountains on the north border of Santa Cruz County, leaving behind at least 30 wildfires, mostly in difficult terrain. The smoke from those fires is now lying over the northern part of the county, trapped by the hot, still weather. This morning at 8 am, we saw:

49C6296E-5894-4C11-8DAE-B3A68027E61F.jpeg

Not our normal view. The fires aren't anywhere close to us, but the smoke is everywhere.

Superb work, imo - the first TV series I liked enough to ‘binge watch’ and to re-watch. Do you know much about the making of it ? (some great stories about casting)
At the moment I'm just watching, late to the party I know, but its pretty impressive even after the 47 hours I've watched. Love the way it changes focus from season to season but keeps the story line of all the characters. Not read too much about the making or casting, I'll save that till I've watched it all. They just better not kill off Bubbles :(

At the moment I'm just watching, late to the party I know, but its pretty impressive even after the 47 hours I've watched. Love the way it changes focus from season to season but keeps the story line of all the characters. Not read too much about the making or casting, I'll save that till I've watched it all. They just better not kill off Bubbles :(

No spoilers from me : )

California's late summer bounty: wildfires. For the past week and more, we've been in a heat wave with temps reaching 100 on a few days and no wind, not even a breeze. 3 am Sunday brought an almost rainless summer thunderstorm -- rare in this part of California -- with 2500 lightning strikes recorded in the mountains on the north border of Santa Cruz County, leaving behind at least 30 wildfires, mostly in difficult terrain. The smoke from those fires is now lying over the northern part of the county, trapped by the hot, still weather. This morning at 8 am, we saw:

View attachment 159983

Not our normal view. The fires aren't anywhere close to us, but the smoke is everywhere.
I’ve seen this movie before... also getting ready to start our fire season, which hopefully won’t be as bad this year

View attachment 159983

I can’t conceive that many lightning strikes. How much more can California take????

View attachment 159983

We had a massive fire here during our heatwave at the beginning of the month. It stopped a big ladies‘ golf tournament:

I needed to get to the local village Sunningdale and had to go miles around to get there.

Fantastic image !
is the haze smoke from The Fires? How close?
That's mostly fog with some smoke. The last couple of days, the smoke smell in Santa Cruz has diminished with the fog and cooler weather, but smoke has been sitting on top of the whole Bay Area for days. How close is the fire to Santa Cruz?

Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 1.07.44 PM.jpg

How close is the fire to our house? We're approximately where you see the word "Olympia."

Screen Shot 2020-08-24 at 1.08.31 PM.jpg

Close enough for us to get evacuated but not in imminent danger.

Back
Top Bottom