terse fragments

461AE442-C051-4D55-9D43-08CB430BFDFB.jpeg

Nightmare impressionism or impressionistic nightmare, love it.

Also, the guy seems to be doing a crazy dance with his mask on but he still wears his tie :rolleyes:
Makes it even spookier. :eek: Apparently the coat and tie are part of the modern costume, and it's hard to tell from the messed-about image, but the guy's wearing really furry chaps (cowboy chaps, not British chaps) and cowboy boots, and he's got a whip in his left hand.

ADD856E2-FD60-4387-85B2-A3AF986A9ED5.jpeg

DAA483ED-12AC-48A3-9578-BE6553E0E4F4.jpeg

Art by Shannon McCarthy, coffee roaster at Alta Coffee in Santa Cruz. The works are made from pieces of plastic recovered from the shores of Oahu and Santa Cruz. You can see more on her Instagram account:

Last edited:
is there a story here? I wonder how many hands this passed through to get to California!
My dad was in North Africa and Italy during WWII and then worked with UNESCO for a year after that before he came home. He had a small box of coins and notes from different countries, and given the date on this one, I'd guess he picked it up traveling around in the UNESCO period. He never mentioned being in the UK, so I'd guess he picked it up from a Brit he crossed paths with.

There's also an older and shabbier silver sixpence that I'm cleaning up to do a macro.

Last edited:
My dad was in North Africa and Italy during WWII and then worked with UNESCO for a year after that before he came home. He had a small box of coins and notes from different countries, and given the date on this one, I'd guess he picked it up traveling around in the UNESCO period. He never mentioned being in the UK, so I'd guess he picked it up from a Brit he crossed paths with.

There's also an older and shabbier silver sixpence that I'm cleaning up to do a macro.
Great memento, I have some sixpences but no one in my family thought to save a thrupenny bit. Funny that they were in circulation till 1971.

42978A0D-236D-4DA3-B751-2B11B949D6AC.jpeg

Container gardening: Few people realize that you can grow a useful crop of 2x4s in a small space.

(Question: What's the equivalent of a 2x4 in metric countries? And do you/they have the same strange quirk that we do where a 2x4 is actually less than 2 inches by 4 inches?)

What was he doing in Italy? Was he a prisoner of war? My dad was in North Africa and got taken at Tobruk. Was then a prisoner of war in Italy.

Back
Top Bottom