The future of MobiTog in 2024

I did start putting all the iColorama tutorials together. Venomator started a Group for it but it got shelved. rizole , is it switched off in the back or was it deleted? Whatever’s planned to revive the site, it needs to become more central and added to. More visible.
I only meant finding your tutorials, I’m not asking you to find tutes for the entire site.

I only meant finding your tutorials, I’m not asking you to find tutes for the entire site.
I did a quick search for ImageArt's threads with iColorama in the title, and it pulled up these tutorials:

Did the same thing for juryjone and got these:

A general title search for iColorama pulls up a bunch more, not all tutorials. Some are quite old, but may still be useful because I don't think the basics of the program have changed much, just new things added.

Exactly. But is that what the ‘new generation’ want? We don’t even know what people want. We are still peddling what brought us here 10 plus years ago. If we want Mobitog to stay as it is, maybe it’s time to start, as mentioned previously ‘the small camera club’ of the existing members on our own little forum/site.

I’m going to be honest now, Catherine, you post more images on Instagram than you post here. Yes, you comment, but you don’t post much. Can’t quite understand why you are still interested in keeping this site going. Sorry, it’s brutal and not meant personally. I’m as much to blame too. In and out infrequently now. I can say the same for zenjenny . Comments but hardly posts. Whats the point? If we are only here for the social side then it’s not going to draw in ‘outsiders’. It’s not about mobile photography, we are making it about us.
We are trying to find a way to keep Mobitog going and your comments to that end are greatly appreciated. I’m thinking it’s not necessary to call out individuals.

Doing these searches for iColorama has me thinking...

MobiTog has a lot of interesting tips, minitutorials, and so on for different apps, but it can be difficult to find them all. We do have a tag system for searching, and RoseCat has done quite a bit of tagging over the years, but most of the rest of us (including me) have ignored them.

Why not just use a title search? Because a thread with an iColorama tutorial, for example, may not have "iColorama" in the title and may not use the word "tutorial" at all. You could do a search for "iColorama" anywhere in a post, but that will bring up a huge number of hits that just mention the app in passing. Tags, on the other hand, let you mark a thread as a tutorial even if it doesn't mention the word.

The problem with tags is that they're extra work (and to catch up, a lot of extra work), mainly for moderators who'd have to at least check the tags members apply or, more likely, add the tags themselves.

Do people think this is worth doing or not?

And either way, I wonder if it would be useful to set up a thread or threads with some canned searches for topics that are likely to interest people.

And for a bit of perspective, perhaps...

A thread from 2012 about things slowing down on MobiTog:

Yes…. participation here has always been peaks and valleys.

I never heard of any of those people until I got to Venomator.

A new-ish and irregularly active member here. I wonder if there is a way to get notifications of activity outside of the website. As an ADHD-er I'm sometimes guilty of "out of sight, out of mind." I also love the idea above of dividing the subjects a bit more - macro, street, etc.
I find the challenges exciting but wonder if rather than B&W, color, etc. if there is room to expand to more novel challenges - maybe a rotating "technique" challenge with themes like rule of thirds, perspective, color pop, etc. This would bring in an opportunity for more interaction (more experienced members may comment on how they achieve a certain goal of that challenge) as well as satisfy novelty-seekers like me who enjoy a good theme to drive their participation.

I wonder if there is a way to get notifications of activity outside of the website.
There is! Click your username/avator at the top right of a page, and when you get to your account information, click Preferences.

Screenshot 2024-01-23 at 7.51.19 AM.jpg

Under Email options, I don't think the first two are being used (as far as I know) but the third is.

Under Content options, if the the "Automatically watch" options are on, you'll get an alert to new activity whenever you visit. If you also check the boxes to receive email, then you'll get notified that was as well.

You can also manually Watch or Unwatch a thread using the menu at the upper right of any thread page.

There is! Click your username/avator at the top right of a page, and when you get to your account information, click Preferences.

View attachment 199710

Under Email options, I don't think the first two are being used (as far as I know) but the third is.

Under Content options, if the the "Automatically watch" options are on, you'll get an alert to new activity whenever you visit. If you also check the boxes to receive email, then you'll get notified that was as well.

You can also manually Watch or Unwatch a thread using the menu at the upper right of any thread page.
Thanks, that's so helpful!

I find the challenges exciting but wonder if rather than B&W, color, etc. if there is room to expand to more novel challenges - maybe a rotating "technique" challenge with themes like rule of thirds, perspective, color pop, etc.
That's a thought. We've had a couple of similar things in the past, one called TWAC (Two Week App Challenge) and one for Double Exposure.

In the past, some outside-the-ordinary challenges like the long-running Elements of Surprise had people sign up for the challenge before it started. I was never sure whether that helped (by getting people to commit) or hindered (by preventing people from jumping in later). Any thoughts (Sara or anybody)?

Last edited:
A new-ish and irregularly active member here. I wonder if there is a way to get notifications of activity outside of the website. As an ADHD-er I'm sometimes guilty of "out of sight, out of mind." I also love the idea above of dividing the subjects a bit more - macro, street, etc.
I find the challenges exciting but wonder if rather than B&W, color, etc. if there is room to expand to more novel challenges - maybe a rotating "technique" challenge with themes like rule of thirds, perspective, color pop, etc. This would bring in an opportunity for more interaction (more experienced members may comment on how they achieve a certain goal of that challenge) as well as satisfy novelty-seekers like me who enjoy a good theme to drive their participation.

That's a thought. We've had a couple of similar things in the past, one called TWAC (Two Week App Challenge) and one for Double Exposure.

In the past, some outside-the-ordinary challenges like the long-running Elements of Surprise had people sign up for the challenge before it started. I was never sure whether that helped (by getting people to commit) or hindered (by preventing people from jumping in later). Any thoughts (Sara or anybody)?
I like the idea of technique challenges.

UPDATE:

Sorry to have gone silent all of a sudden, but we've been hit with an unexpected complication.

Our site host, Nimbus, has bumped us up to a new hosting tier because we're now using 70GB of space when our previous tier is limited to 60GB. The result is we got an invoice for £82 for one month, approximately 3x what we've previously been paying. Nimbus didn't notify us we were exceeding our limit, just changed our tier and sent us an invoice.

So we're going to have to delete at least 15GB of old threads to get back under the 60GB cap and leave ourselves some working room.

We're also going to delete the Gallery section as part of this purge. If you have put anything in a gallery that you don't have a backup copy of, now's the time to retrieve it!

UPDATE:

Sorry to have gone silent all of a sudden, but we've been hit with an unexpected complication.

Our site host, Nimbus, has bumped us up to a new hosting tier because we're now using 70GB of space when our previous tier is limited to 60GB. The result is we got an invoice for £82 for one month, approximately 3x what we've previously been paying. Nimbus didn't notify us we were exceeding our limit, just changed our tier and sent us an invoice.

So we're going to have to delete at least 15GB of old threads to get back under the 60GB cap and leave ourselves some working room.

We're also going to delete the Gallery section as part of this purge. If you have put anything in a gallery that you don't have a backup copy of, now's the time to retrieve it!
Happy for mine to go. I don’t have much in it and not worth saving…sadly. :lol:

I’m the kind of person who’s afraid of ”doing wrong”. And I think way too much. One of my thoughts the last few days is ” Would it be better for Mobitog if I stopped posting a lot of images in my playground thread?” As the pricing for space has skyrocketed :thinking::geek::coffee:

Back
Top Bottom