• Please consider a small regular monthly sum, now possible under the new Donate tab! (NB - If all active MobiMembers Donate just £1/$1 per month it will cover our costs and help with expenditure for updates/improvements) A BIG THANK YOU to all our generous & supportive MobiMembers!
  • PLEASE READ THIS THREAD < Tap for linky - MobiTog still has a few minor updates/improvements to complete... :)

New The new Apple News app - Yea or Nay?

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
With the iOS 12.2 update comes the new Apple News app. I first thought I should delete that right away. But I was curious what sort of junk it would offer. I soon realized it was full of the usual corporate-owned new sources and nothing independent.

I see it has also appeared on my iPad so I think I will delete it there so as not to clutter up my iPad any more. There, gone.

I ventured into the settings and turned off everything offensive, which was all news sources except the CBC, for now. Maybe it will have to go, too.

I noticed I cannot turn off the Apple Spotlight news source and that is rather vexing.

I shut off everything relating to business, sports, politics, in fact everything except science, technology and health.

I shut off the iCloud options, and all notifications.
What I did not see was any sources of free, unbiased, and independent news that does have political or corporate sponsors to bow down to. News that examines all sides of a situation equally with good analysis of what is really going on and who benefits.

A recent news item that was quite interesting was called “The Dirty Dozen” 2019 edition, about the foods most contaminated with pesticides. Lots of interesting info in it.

There’s an option to subscribe to all sorts of similarly annoying news publications - no thanks.

That got me thinking about what sort of news I really do want - on an ongoing basis. Hmmm.
What would be so interesting that I might actually find the time to look at it?
I’m curious to know what is happening in the Steampunk world.
Information about making art on the iPad might be interesting.
News about uplifting success stories around the world.
News about stuff I can do myself at home to improve energy efficiency or enhance the quality of life, without buying expensive stuff.
Just about anything involving people getting together on their own to do local projects that doesn’t involve corporations or government.
News about advancements in the neuroscience & meditation area.

Mostly if I want to know something I check Wikipedia. But I seldom look up the same topic twice so a news feed on that topic would be pointless.

What sort of news would you like to have force fed into your mobile devices?

What sort of news do you NOT want to be subjected to?

What do you think about technology giants such as Facebook, google, etc. having control of what news you get, or don’t get?

Will you keep the News app on your device or delete it?

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
I rarely look at or read any news, so that would be a Nay for me. :D

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I wondering... is it just a coincidence that just 2 days ago I got a survey on FB asking me how I wanted to arrange my news feed? My first choice would have been - I don’t want any news offered by FB. I got to a page in the survey where I could not find any acceptable response and there was no option for NA. I was not able to continue past that point as it said some answer must be selected. I figured I could come back to it later. I had to quit FB to get out of it.

On Pinterest (I’m fairly new to Pinterest), one of my first boards included arch-topped doors, because I was looking for reference material for a drawing. The next day Pinterest was full of commercial ads about doors and windows, etc., to buy for my house. But there was nothing I noticed relating to the board I made about amphibians, or Art Games. So that’s how the game is played, I thought, and deleted my Arched-Top Doors board. No more ads. I made another board about interesting architecture with no issues. SteamPunk and Rusty Metal did not result an any commercial offers either.

Starzee

MobiLurver
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Star Greathouse
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I’m with RoseCat . I watch the local news (on an antenna) ad that’s about it. I have the local news app that sends notifications and the NY Giants app (for DH) that I get notifications from. I unfollowed nearly everyone but very close friends and family on Facebook, during the last presidential election and check it about once a month. Instagram is my social media of choice and I follow only close friends, family, and artists whose work I admire, including Mobitoggers. If my nose is buried in my phone I am most likely working on a collage.

zenjenny

MobiStaff
Site Staff
Real Name
jen
Device
iPhone 6s Plus
I t there was nothing I noticed relating to the board I made about amphibians, or Art Games. So that’s how the game is played, I thought, and deleted my Arched-Top Doors board. No more ads. I made another board about interesting architecture with no issues. SteamPunk and Rusty Metal did not result an any commercial offers either.
I think the logarhythm tracks both your uploads and others’ viewing and/or sharing. I get ‘notifications’ from Pinterest for my ‘Art Games’ board, and other boards when the activity picks up.

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I’m with RoseCat . I watch the local news (on an antenna) ad that’s about it. I have the local news app that sends notifications and the NY Giants app (for DH) that I get notifications from. I unfollowed nearly everyone but very close friends and family on Facebook, during the last presidential election and check it about once a month. Instagram is my social media of choice and I follow only close friends, family, and artists whose work I admire, including Mobitoggers. If my nose is buried in my phone I am most likely working on a collage.
For us, our local news doesn’t even originate in our province. It is more a regional news cast coming from Halifax, Nova Scotia. I find it interesting when I occasionally see the national news from the same CTV network originating from Toronto how they look so serious, professional and business like. The big city folks with their big city outfits and big city attitudes. They project a sense that all news is bad news. The Nova Scotia team are all down home folks, friendly and more informal. They are still professional but seem a lot more real.

Starzee

MobiLurver
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Star Greathouse
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
For us, our local news doesn’t even originate in our province. It is more a regional news cast coming from Halifax, Nova Scotia. I find it interesting when I occasionally see the national news from the same CTV network originating from Toronto how they look so serious, professional and business like. The big city folks with their big city outfits and big city attitudes. They project a sense that all news is bad news. The Nova Scotia team are all down home folks, friendly and more informal. They are still professional but seem a lot more real.
Our local news comes from Syracuse. That’s a big city to me. But, as you describe your local news, these guy are laid back and goofy on occasion. Very approachable.

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I think one of the most telling features of the new Apple News app is the you cannot review or comment about the app in the App Store. When do you see an app on the App Store with no area for a star rating or reviews? It may say there have not yet been enough ratings to make a reliable report but never do you see the reviews section completely missing.

A point I noticed while rereading the app description is the the News app is new in Canada so I presume it has been available in the US before now.

Although you can edit the news sources you cannot turn off Spotlight, which is the Apple news feed. The supplier of this app is Apple Canada. It is a selection of news items from all sources so just because I have shut off all the corporate news sources doesn’t mean I won’t still crap from them.

It appears that Apple wants to be in the public opinion shaping business along with the other big corporations like Google and Facebook.

I like that I can select topics of fairly obscure interest, like steampunk, but I don’t like that I cannot find a single source of free and independent non-corporate agenda news.

The way I see current news reporting is to imagine a news story as a large area, like a football field. This “news” outlet reports the news as seen from this particular one square yard area way over here while another reports the portion that is at another one square yard area at the opposite end of the field. They pick and choose which parts to focus on to the exclusion of all the rest of the information and analysis available. Thus their corporate viewpoint is revealed. It is reported as “news” but it is just more opinion shaping.

Politically owned “news” outlets are completely bogus in my point of view. They exist for the sole purpose of calling down the other party and shaping public opinion against them, employing the worst sort of fear mongering tactics. All we have is the politics of fear. Naturally both parties have their own flunky news outlets and conduct what should be government house business in the press where they cannot be called to account for themselves. It is completely nauseating. Every time a new story comes out I see it as another pile of stuff that properly belongs on the manure heap. You can just hear in every crafted word how it is made to shape public opinion rather than convey actual news.

What is more interesting to me wrt political news is, while the public attention is being focused over in this direction what is the real news story going on they don’t want us to know about. It is all propaganda and opinion shaping. It’s all about divide and conquer. Get all the population all broken up into factions and they will never rally together to fight for the really important issues.

Tiffany

MobiStarlet
Real Name
Tiffany
Device
iPhone Xs Max
I think one of the most telling features of the new Apple News app is the you cannot review or comment about the app in the App Store. When do you see an app on the App Store with no area for a star rating or reviews? It may say there have not yet been enough ratings to make a reliable report but never do you see the reviews section completely missing.

A point I noticed while rereading the app description is the the News app is new in Canada so I presume it has been available in the US before now.

Although you can edit the news sources you cannot turn off Spotlight, which is the Apple news feed. The supplier of this app is Apple Canada. It is a selection of news items from all sources so just because I have shut off all the corporate news sources doesn’t mean I won’t still crap from them.

It appears that Apple wants to be in the public opinion shaping business along with the other big corporations like Google and Facebook.

I like that I can select topics of fairly obscure interest, like steampunk, but I don’t like that I cannot find a single source of free and independent non-corporate agenda news.

The way I see current news reporting is to imagine a news story as a large area, like a football field. This “news” outlet reports the news as seen from this particular one square yard area way over here while another reports the portion that is at another one square yard area at the opposite end of the field. They pick and choose which parts to focus on to the exclusion of all the rest of the information and analysis available. Thus their corporate viewpoint is revealed. It is reported as “news” but it is just more opinion shaping.

Politically owned “news” outlets are completely bogus in my point of view. They exist for the sole purpose of calling down the other party and shaping public opinion against them, employing the worst sort of fear mongering tactics. All we have is the politics of fear. Naturally both parties have their own flunky news outlets and conduct what should be government house business in the press where they cannot be called to account for themselves. It is completely nauseating. Every time a new story comes out I see it as another pile of stuff that properly belongs on the manure heap. You can just hear in every crafted word how it is made to shape public opinion rather than convey actual news.

What is more interesting to me wrt political news is, while the public attention is being focused over in this direction what is the real news story going on they don’t want us to know about. It is all propaganda and opinion shaping. It’s all about divide and conquer. Get all the population all broken up into factions and they will never rally together to fight for the really important issues.
You can train Apple News to only show you what you want to see. You just tap the heart on an article or news story and it learns.

For me, Apple News+ is a great value because I do a lot of reading. I don't watch the news at all; I don't like the sensationalism and doom presented on the news. Recency bias is a real thing I'm trying to avoid.

So I train Apple News and only subscribe to certain publications.

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
You can train Apple News to only show you what you want to see. You just tap the heart on an article or news story and it learns.

For me, Apple News+ is a great value because I do a lot of reading. I don't watch the news at all; I don't like the sensationalism and doom presented on the news. Recency bias is a real thing I'm trying to avoid.

So I train Apple News and only subscribe to certain publications.
I tried shutting off everything possible and only activating certain interests. However, you cannot shut off Apple news itself so they still select news items from news sources I don’t want to hear from. I did not subscribe to any publications.
I deleted the app a couple of weeks ago and have not missed it a bit.