Uuglypher

MobiStar
Real Name
Dave
Device
iPhone 11 Pro Max
the Comfort of a “Tamed Flame”

Thoughts during a scheduled pre-dawn “rolling power blackout”

My thoughts are about -and by means of- the 70% of my brain’s neural synapses that are involved, directly of indirectly, with vision. They are occupying my attention at 4:30 am in the pre-dawn blackness of this South Dakota winter’s morning. And there occurs to me an almost palpable ancestral connection with my forbearers almost four million generations removed as I relax in the dim, comforting glow of a candle - a “tamed flame”. It is somehow fascinatingly comforting to realize that all the neural connections from my retinas to my brain’s cortical visual center and then to the various regions allowing perceptions and emotions associated with awareness of the candle’s glow are via the same basic neural pathways by which my evolutionarily distant direct ancestors enjoyed the comfort of a “tamed flame” that followed upon their epochal taming of fire.

Just thought it worthy of mention....

Imaged with iPhone12ProMax

Dave

18A5DB3F-3ECC-47BB-9935-8F4AAD9A061E.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

My thoughts are about -and by means of- the 70% of my brain’s neural synapses that are involved, directly of indirectly, with vision. They are occupying my attention at 4:30 am in the pre-dawn blackness of this South Dakota winter’s morning. And there occurs to me an almost palpable ancestral connection with my forbearers almost four million generations removed as I relax in the dim, comforting glow of a candle - a “tamed flame”. It is somehow fascinatingly comforting to realize that all the neural connections from my retinas to my brain’s cortical visual center and then to the various regions allowing perceptions and emotions associated with awareness of the candle’s glow are via the same basic neural pathways by which my evolutionarily distant direct ancestors enjoyed the comfort of a “tamed flame” that followed upon their epochal taming of fire.

Dave
I hear you Dave. It boggles my mind sometimes to think that my ancestors survived many deadly diseases for which there was no cure, starvation, bad weather, premature death by accident, death in childbirth etc etc, culminating in me. And that I am the genetic sum total of all of those people who have gone before. It’s incredible when you think of it.

I hear you Dave. It boggles my mind sometimes to think that my ancestors survived many deadly diseases for which there was no cure, starvation, bad weather, premature death by accident, death in childbirth etc etc, culminating in me. And that I am the genetic sum total of all of those people who have gone before. It’s incredible when you think of it.
Thank you so very much, Jilly! It’s gratifying to hear that the essence of what I was trying to say was so clearly perceived!
Dave

Dave
I love that you posted this! The long dark days were starting to get me down... until I decided to live by (mostly) candlelight in the evenings, and it’s allowed me to really embrace the season, and actually look forward to the darkness. My space is so cozy and warm feeling, and it’s amazing how much light one can get from candles alone. :inlove:

I love that you posted this! The long dark days were starting to get me down... until I decided to live by (mostly) candlelight in the evenings, and it’s allowed me to really embrace the season, and actually look forward to the darkness. My space is so cozy and warm feeling, and it’s amazing how much light one can get from candles alone. :inlove:
Thanks, Rose; I’m gratified to hear that my note bore some resonance for you!
Dave

That’s beautiful: [in some ways ] such a small change - but in making it you have changed the meanings of a season. And in a way that allows you to ‘embrace the season’ :inlove: :notworthy: :inlove:

Back
Top Bottom