IOTM Winner - Feb 21, Sep 22
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone15
Onsite
Project Page
It’s been quite interesting doing timelapse which I haven’t done for a while. In the past I used Lapse It and this time it worked fine in portrait mode but on my iPhone 7+, which has an older operating system, a landscape view bizarrely rotated to portrait view. So I had to look for something else.

The problem with this timelapse was the interval between each frame. I wanted a frame taken every 5 minutes and many apps only seemed to go up to a minute. The only apps that I could find that allow longer time intervals were Lapse It, Skyflow (max 5 min) and oSnap! . It wasn’t an exhaustive search so there may be more out there. I opted for oSnap! Pro to get high quality export - only £1.79.

oSnap! Pro
Wow, oSnap! was far and away the most feature rich. I loved the idea that you can set up the project beforehand with all the settings you want. You can come back to a project later and add to it which would have been great when I did my first try in Lapse It. It provides you with a guide so you can line up either the first or last frame. Would have been so useful when the flowers were moved by mistake. You can also adjust the exposure to match that of your original take. It actually takes a photo for each frame and renders it into a timelapse. I ended up with the all the photos in the camera roll because I misunderstood the auto save to camera roll. It set the frames-per-second (fps) to 10 so I left this but you can change this when rendering. You can also import photos at an extra charge of £0.99. From time to time I’ve looked for an app that turns images into a movie and this does that!

Here is the result:

Exposure is tricky for a timelapse like this and to get an even light you really need artificial light with no natural light. There was some natural light with this. This was taken over a 24 hour period and you of course have to have your iphone plugged in to keep the battery going.

Last edited:
Here’s the first timelapse I did with Lapse It converted to a gif.

5D44728B-F955-4DA5-9BA7-A2BFA8E64809.gif

It’s been quite interesting doing timelapse which I haven’t done for a while. In the past I used Lapse It and this time it worked fine in portrait mode but on my iPhone 7+, which has an older operating system, a landscape view bizarrely rotated to portrait view. So I had to look for something else.

The problem with this timelapse was the interval between each frame. I wanted a frame taken every 5 minutes and many apps only seemed to go up to a minute. The only apps that I could find that allow longer time intervals were Lapse It, Skyflow (max 5 min) and oSnap! . It wasn’t an exhaustive search so there may be more out there. I opted for oSnap! Pro to get high quality export - only £1.79.

oSnap! Pro
Wow, oSnap! was far and away the most feature rich. I loved the idea that you can set up the project beforehand with all the settings you want. You can come back to a project later and add to it which would have been great when I did my first try in Lapse It. It provides you with a guide so you can line up either the first or last frame. Would have been so useful when the flowers were moved by mistake. You can also adjust the exposure to match that of your original take. It actually takes a photo for each frame and renders it into a timelapse. I ended up with the all the photos in the camera roll because I misunderstood the auto save to camera roll. It set the frames-per-second (fps) to 10 so I left this but you can change this when rendering. You can also import photos at an extra charge of £0.99. From time to time I’ve looked for an app that turns images into a movie and this does that!

Here is the result:

Exposure is tricky for a timelapse like this and to get an even light you really need artificial light with no natural light. There was some natural light with this. This was taken over a 24 hour period and you of course have to have your iphone plugged in to keep the battery going.
Thats just brilliant Ann, youll be on Green Planet before you know it! I've got Spectre, which is limited to seconds only. Might have to invest in this, as I was considering buying an intervalometer for my main camera. Great work, that Ice photo is gorgeous!

Thats just brilliant Ann, youll be on Green Planet before you know it! I've got Spectre, which is limited to seconds only. Might have to invest in this, as I was considering buying an intervalometer for my main camera. Great work, that Ice photo is gorgeous!
Thanks Bill. I think Timelapse is underrated. I’m going to do some on my upcoming trip to South Africa. There was some discussion a while back. FundyBrian bought a 360 degree rotation thingammy for it which I think he used quite successfully. I loved Fundy’s 360 panoramas and must do some of those again too.

If you want some good technical knowledge, wade through his thread: https://mobitog.com/threads/fundybrian’s-explorations.23066/
He was sometimes a bit verbose but he he knew his stuff.

Last edited:
What do you do with your old phones? My old Samsung is still going strong and can be deployed for allsorts.
You me the 7 or 8 I’ve upgraded in the last 7or 8 years? :rolleyes: Somehow one or the other of the kids, or grandkid suddenly needs a new phone at the precise time I’m wanting the next biggest best one. Same odd phenomon occurs with my ipads. Curious. I do have access to Mike’s old flip phone now that he’s entered new century.

Thanks Bill. I think Timelapse is underrated. I’m going to do some on my upcoming trip to South Africa. There was some discussion a while back. FundyBrian bought a 360 degree rotation thingammy for it which I think he used quite successfully. I loved Fundy’s 360 panoramas and must do some of those again too.

If you want some good technical knowledge, wade through his thread: https://mobitog.com/threads/fundybrian’s-explorations.23066/
He was sometimes a bit verbose but he he knew his stuff.
Thanks Ann - I will do. Ive got a bluetooth 360* thingummy too, which is nice, but staying connected and out of shot is a nightmare. Ive put it on the birdtable and hid in the house, which worked ok, but not tried it with timelapse yet. maybe this summer

Back
Top Bottom