To delete the right way

Mik

MobiLurver
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Michael
Device
iPhone X
Lately I had to delete (and want that to do anyways) unnecessary images out of Photos. The last iOS update could not start because there was no more memory left. So I deleted many images. But that doesn't changed anything, memory was as full as before.

I am a stupid guy. I needed some time to realize the album named "Recently Deleted". All deleted images are there, still using memory. So I did the obvious and deleted the images from there. And, here you go, this freed up the memory. But to whom I tell this, you already knows this for sure ...

I am still getting used to that too and sometimes forget that deleting a photo is now more like using the Recycle Bin/Trash Can on a desktop. It's a great feature though.

I also have to remind myself to delete photos out of the 'private' internal storage of Hipstamatic, KitCam and VSCO too. It is a quite a lot of work to really free up memory !

Thank you Mik! By some miracle I happened to notice that new folder when I was marvelling at the mess of 3k+ photos in the cache (of my new 128G Air *swoon* just in case any one hasn't heard). And a new 'recently added' folder?! That's in case...I can't see the newest photos at the top...?

Anyone would think Apple had an investment in the various space-creating options.

I would like to be able to put photos in separate folders without duplicating them - IE take them out of the main folder and put them in a sub folder. That would save some space for me -- I can easily have seven or eight projects going in separate folders of anywhere from 10-50 images.

And like Darren@RI I need to remind myself to clean up other caches. Darren mentioned Hipsta, VSCO etc. I'd add sketch/paint apps: ArtRage, SketchClub etc.

So reminders are always helpful, Mik! :inlove: :thumbs:

Lately I had to delete (and want that to do anyways) unnecessary images out of Photos. The last iOS update could not start because there was no more memory left. So I deleted many images. But that doesn't changed anything, memory was as full as before.

I am a stupid guy. I needed some time to realize the album named "Recently Deleted". All deleted images are there, still using memory. So I did the obvious and deleted the images from there. And, here you go, this freed up the memory. But to whom I tell this, you already knows this for sure ...
I know about that album and yes sometimes forget to delete them there but for the most part I do remember.
Thank you Mik! By some miracle I happened to notice that new folder when I was marvelling at the mess of 3k+ photos in the cache (of my new 128G Air *swoon* just in case any one hasn't heard). And a new 'recently added' folder?! That's in case...I can't see the newest photos at the top...?

Anyone would think Apple had an investment in the various space-creating options.

I would like to be able to put photos in separate folders without duplicating them - IE take them out of the main folder and put them in a sub folder. That would save some space for me -- I can easily have seven or eight projects going in separate folders of anywhere from 10-50 images.

And like Darren@RI I need to remind myself to clean up other caches. Darren mentioned Hipsta, VSCO etc. I'd add sketch/paint apps: ArtRage, SketchClub etc.

So reminders are always helpful, Mik! :inlove: :thumbs:
yes I would really like if Apple allowed albums where the pics are actually moved to the album and not left in the unsorted pics. Would like to see naming of pictures to as well as metadata editing built in and search then could be by name, tags etc.

I agree! I too would like to really "Move" a image into a folder and not still have it on the camera roll. Another thing I would like to see is a "select all" feature on some of the apps that retain photos like Hipstamatic. Having to delete photos one by one is a real pain.

I agree! I too would like to really "Move" a image into a folder and not still have it on the camera roll. Another thing I would like to see is a "select all" feature on some of the apps that retain photos like Hipstamatic. Having to delete photos one by one is a real pain.
Hipstamatic allows you to select all images, images not in a stack or you can select as many as you like.
Go to the in-app gallery, in the top right corner is a box with a vertical arrow, tap on it it will show a select all but if you tap on any image it gets a check mark then tap the remove.

Hipstamatic allows you to select all images, images not in a stack or you can select as many as you like.
Go to the in-app gallery, in the top right corner is a box with a vertical arrow, tap on it it will show a select all but if you tap on any image it gets a check mark then tap the remove.
Thanks Larry :) That will be a great help. I some how missed that option :oops: Kurt

You can't do that on iOS. There's only one folder (Camera Roll aka All Photos if you use iCloud), all the rest are albums, and albums are just tags. No way to create folders or sub folders.

ps: again, photos in albums are just tagged with the album name, they're not duplicates, storage is untouched.

again no way to create folders ... so no way to really move anything, just tag with albums.

As to multiple deletion, the fastest way is to use the "photos" panel and delete "moments" (corresponding to places or dates).

Otherwise, if you use Google Photos, the app allows you to delete a bunch of selected photos at once while prompting you to delete locally stored images. But no "select all" option. Don't know of any app allowing mass deletion of locally stored images. In-app stored yes, like as mentioned above, Hipstamatic ... ProCamera etc ...

In order to keep my memory down , I delete all photos in camera roll and recently deleted. But first I use drop box and Carousel which stores all my photos. Then I delete. This way I have all my photos and empty camera roll. Access to old photos is very easy and I can save them back to camera roll

another cool solution to keep storage low is to use iCloud Photo Library with "optimize storage" setting activated. This way only image thumbnails are stored, using almost nothing. Images are downloaded on access and temporarily cached. That means almost unlimited "virtual" storage locally, while everything is on iCloud. And yes Dropbox and the others offer the same, in-app. While iCloud Photo Library runs seamlessly with the native Photos app on iOS.

Mikeraboy there seem to be a technical issue with your posts. The last one here is duplicated while a thread that you started recently is duplicated too. Not sure where the problem comes from ... Venomator

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1438094718.052339.jpg

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1438094737.995617.jpg

Some things like textures/backgrounds, selfies/portraits, or my portfolio I want to always have with me, but don't like having to search through the camera roll. I use DropBox, but often I am working in areas where there is no cellular or wifi. My friend Kat Sloma has posted a technique that works to create permanent albums on your iPhone/iPad/iPod. Check it out here:
http://kateyestudio.com/2015/06/creating-permanent-albums-on-your-iphone-mobile-tutorial.html

Some things like textures/backgrounds, selfies/portraits, or my portfolio I want to always have with me, but don't like having to search through the camera roll. I use DropBox, but often I am working in areas where there is no cellular or wifi. My friend Kat Sloma has posted a technique that works to create permanent albums on your iPhone/iPad/iPod. Check it out here:
http://kateyestudio.com/2015/06/creating-permanent-albums-on-your-iphone-mobile-tutorial.html
Thanks for that Kurt... :thumbs:

Is your friend Kat a MobiMember yet? If not, why not? ... :sneaky:

:D

ok what I meant is, the ability to sync camera roll with a chosen folder. It is (was...) a one way sync - computer to iOS - anyway. And that's disabled when using iCloud Photo Library because iCloud syncs already with your Photos app on a Mac or iCloud dedicated folders on PC. Would be a real mess otherwise .

This being said - and strangely imo - local backups on PC or Mac still contain all iOS photos and videos, even when iCloud Photo Library is enabled. That's ridiculous, eating space uselessly. Very obviously iCloud backups don't do this.

Back
Top Bottom