Tram Scan

Aaron Davis

MobiLurver
Mobi Veteran
IMG_7841.JPG IMG_7834.JPG

A few years ago I came across this app called ScanCamera and put it away to play with at another date. Well that date has come and I wanted to share my exploration with the Mobitog gang.

ScanCamera scans an area or subject in rows of pixels creating distortions if the camera (iPhone) or subject is moving. The images above are sections of larger images I took this week from a in Melbourne. As the Tram sped up cars would shrink and as it came to a stop, people waiting for the Tram would expand.

Over the holidays, I plan to scan Melbourne's City Circle Tram line and make one giant image piecing together all the extreme panoramic images that can't be uploaded here something like 40000 x 2000 pixels each.

I'm going to go search the web for my original inspiration for this exploration and use this thread as a to document the journey.

View attachment 86111 View attachment 86112

A few years ago I came across this app called ScanCamera and put it away to play with at another date. Well that date has come and I wanted to share my exploration with the Mobitog gang.

ScanCamera scans an area or subject in rows of pixels creating distortions if the camera (iPhone) or subject is moving. The images above are sections of larger images I took this week from a in Melbourne. As the Tram sped up cars would shrink and as it came to a stop, people waiting for the Tram would expand.

Over the holidays, I plan to scan Melbourne's City Circle Tram line and make one giant image piecing together all the extreme panoramic images that can't be uploaded here something like 40000 x 2000 pixels each.

I'm going to go search the web for my original inspiration for this exploration and use this thread as a to document the journey.
What a brilliant idea Aaron. I can't wait to see it evolve. :thumbs:

Sounds fascinating Aaron! You always come up with really creative ideas... looking forward to following along on this project. :D

Here's a link to a talk by the artist Adam Magyar that inspired this project.
http://petapixel.com/2014/01/13/adam-magyar-talks-tech-behind-mesmerizing-photo-video-series/

WOW! Such a cool idea! I can't believe I watched the whole thing and still don't believe it was 20 minutes. Would love to see his pictures. Hope somewhen he'll have an exhibition here. [emoji4]
So I'm keen to see your pictures. 40,000 pixels width! On what device can you manage to save that?
FundyBrian used scancameras somewhere on a tripod and moved it back and forward so he had mirrored parts in the picture. And they are fine for nonsense, too, like have it fixed, so the surrounding doesn't move but someone/thing in front. I actually haven't ever thought about using it this way, it's a clever idea. Do you also have the program's Adam wrote to compensate wobbly woblies?
That was another cool part in the film: "well, I needed a software to do this and that, so I just did it." Want to be able to, too. [emoji4]
Anyway: interesting idea, good luck and can't wait to see your pictures. [emoji256][emoji7]
And tell me how you convinced your phone to save those gigantic files![emoji33]

IMG_7865.PNG I'm glad you watched the video, pretty amazing stuff. The files I've managed to save on the phone are actually 23040 x 2150 and they have seemed to create issues with some of my editing apps like Snapseed. I will have to do the final edit in Photoshop on my computer.
As for the wobbly bits, I've been using the window sill on the tram as a stabilisation point. I think I'll head into the city today to have another run, bit of experimentation. I look forward to progressing this project.
WOW! Such a cool idea! I can't believe I watched the whole thing and still don't believe it was 20 minutes. Would love to see his pictures. Hope somewhen he'll have an exhibition here. [emoji4]
So I'm keen to see your pictures. 40,000 pixels width! On what device can you manage to save that?
FundyBrian used scancameras somewhere on a tripod and moved it back and forward so he had mirrored parts in the picture. And they are fine for nonsense, too, like have it fixed, so the surrounding doesn't move but someone/thing in front. I actually haven't ever thought about using it this way, it's a clever idea. Do you also have the program's Adam wrote to compensate wobbly woblies?
That was another cool part in the film: "well, I needed a software to do this and that, so I just did it." Want to be able to, too. [emoji4]
Anyway: interesting idea, good luck and can't wait to see your pictures. [emoji256][emoji7]
And tell me how you convinced your phone to save those gigantic files![emoji33]

View attachment 86193
Here's the old Melbourne tram I did the scans from today. If you ever get to Melbourne, you can get around the inner city on these for free. Just waiting for my son to get off the computer now so I can download all the scans and see how they look put all together.

I love old trams! [emoji1] like our Ebbwoi-Express in Frankfurt. [emoji7]

Back
Top Bottom