• MobiTog Mantra = "Taken with and processed on a Mobile Device" PLEASE NOTE: MobiTog Rule 4. will be applied to all MobiTog Challenges & Contests. Non-compliance may result in entries being disqualified - you've been notified! > For Terms & Rules Click Here <
  • Ynot consider a regular monthly Donation? It's now doable under the Donate tab! (A Donation of just £1/$1 per month will help cover our costs & assist with updates & improvements) HUGE THANKS to all our generous MobiSupporters!
  • NEW MEMBER NOTICE - Need assistance finding your way around Mobitog? > CLICK HERE FOR HELP SECTION <

Tram Surfing

Aaron Davis

MobiLurver
Mobi Veteran
I decided to go back through some images that I created when I started iPhoneography and give them another go with what I know now.
The first image, was created at the end of last year using BlendCam P which saved at 800 x 800 pixels.
The next two I used DXP and Iris to blend the beach and tram scenes. Which of these two do you think is a better blend? Any suggestions for further improvements?

image-50968855.png

image-454349737.png

image-2780226912.png

Sent from my iPhone using MobiTog

bpahia

MobiLurver
Real Name
Bryan
Personally, I like the middle one the best. I like that it looks like the tram is going right onto the beach. Very cool effect.

lisamjw

MobiStaff
Site Staff
Real Name
Lisa Waddell
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
2 and 3 are both improvements over 1 thanks to accumulated knowledge! I like 3 better. In 2 there is no "reason" for the water. In 3 the water is an extension of the beach scene; which by the way looks like an advertisement so you've created this kind of dimensional scene within the shot.

Good grief, I hope that makes sense!!

Aaron Davis

MobiLurver
Mobi Veteran
Thanks Bryan and Lisa, you have both chosen different options for sound reasons. I personally like how the tram stands out more in two, which Bryan has confirmed, however like the tie in of the advertisement theme of number 3 as explained by Lisa. I'm going to try and work out a way how to brighten the tram area of number 3 to bring it out from the rest of the scene, any ideas on how I could do this?

Aaron Davis

MobiLurver
Mobi Veteran
Ok, I tried using Dynamic Light's directional lighting function to shed a bit more light on the tram in the first one and in the second I've used Phototoaster. Anyone else have a way of brightening just the tram?

image-2050811647.png

image-2233527065.png

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
Aaron Davis said:
Ok, I tried using Dynamic Light's directional lighting function to shed a bit more light on the tram in the first one and in the second I've used Phototoaster. Anyone else have a way of brightening just the tram?

In these last 2 I like the first one best as it's brighter...more "beachy". I love that you can see the beach on the bus.

You may want to try running the darker one through LensLight and/or LensFlare. They're all about light, and you can use the slider to adjust the intensity. You can also layer multiple light effects.

lisamjw

MobiStaff
Site Staff
Real Name
Lisa Waddell
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
I think I like the first one better (Dynamic Light). Something else occurred to me...can you remove the red ad on the side of the tram? The whole image has a "work vs play" feel to it. I like that.

Aaron Davis

MobiLurver
Mobi Veteran
RoseCat (Catherine) said:
In these last 2 I like the first one best as it's brighter...more "beachy". I love that you can see the beach on the bus.

You may want to try running the darker one through LensLight and/or LensFlare. They're all about light, and you can use the slider to adjust the intensity. You can also layer multiple light effects.

Thanks for this advice, I'll have to go check out lens flare, I tried lens light (using the cone light) without much success.

Aaron Davis

MobiLurver
Mobi Veteran
lisamjw said:
Something else occurred to me...can you remove the red ad on the side of the tram?

You're testing my skills now Lisa, that's quite a sizable area to clone/stamp. Challenge accepted! Lol. :)

lisamjw

MobiStaff
Site Staff
Real Name
Lisa Waddell
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
Aaron Davis said:
You're testing my skills now Lisa, that's quite a sizable area to clone/stamp. Challenge accepted! Lol. :)

Oh dear! Perhaps I should be looking on my laptop instead of my iPhone!

bpahia

MobiLurver
Real Name
Bryan
You might be able to use Snapseed to brighten just the tram. The selective adjust function might just be what you're looking for.

bpahia

MobiLurver
Real Name
Bryan
Love it! I think it works better. The sign stands out more too, and it adds to the overall photo. This version is my favorite so far.

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
I like it! Agree with Bryan - this last one is my fav.

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
bpahia said:
You might be able to use Snapseed to brighten just the tram. The selective adjust function might just be what you're looking for.
Selective adjust in SnapSeed? Who knew? Go figure! :D I'll have to try and figure it out...

Aaron Davis

MobiLurver
Mobi Veteran
Thanks Bryan, Lisa and Catherine for Your guidance, thoroughly enjoyed that process and learnt a few things along the way. Snapseed is a great app!

AlyZen Moonshadow

MobiLurver
Mobi Veteran

Aaron, try Snapseed's "Selective Adjust" function, it allows you to brighten or contrast a selected area of any image.