Welcome to MobiTog - The Original Mobile Photography Community!
THE Original Global Community for Mobile Photographers - Everywhere...

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

1. > CHANGE IS NIGH < Help with costs DONATE & help update MobiTog, THANK YOU!

Tripod and Bluetooth shutter.

Discussion in 'Accessories & Phones' started by rizole, 4 January 2019.

1. rizole

rizole In for it!

Device:
    Samsung
    I got a tripod and Bluetooth remote shutter for Xmas. My plan is to be able to leave my phone places and take pics at a distance. Good for wildlife and street shots I thought.
    20190104_115640.jpg
    Nothing special, budget range stuff but I found a new use for it today that means it's already paid for itself. We have a leaky gutter that I was expecting to pay someone to come and fix but with my phone on the tripod attached to a long stick and me up a step ladder allowed me to take pictures of the problem.
    20190104_113500-01.jpeg
    I reckon I can fix that, no problem.
    Now what can I photograph with a camera at the end of a long stick (that I won't get arrested for)?

Last edited: 4 January 2019
    MsDee, Carol, FundyBrian and 4 others like this.
  2. JillyG

JillyG MobiLifer Mobi Veteran

Jilly
    Device:
    iPhone Xs Max
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Yes, I reckon you could fix that. Might even be a case of just pushing them back together. Hmmmm, answers on a postcard to that question!

3. RoseCat

RoseCat MobiStaff Site Staff MobiSupporter

Catherine
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Oh, you’re going to be getting some cool stuff, I know it. :D

And..... duct tape baby!!!! It fixes most everything. :lol:

JillyG likes this.
  4. rizole

rizole In for it!

Device:
    Samsung
    I have an old selfie stick that the phone holder on my new tripod attaches to. Turns out the cat is more interested in the phone at the end of a stick than in my hand so cat eye contact (Which they're not very good at to camera) is more likely. Focus might be tricky.
    20190104_170540.jpg

Starzee, JillyG and RoseCat like this.
  5. ImageArt

ImageArt MobiLifer MobiSupporter

Ann
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    I’ve tried this on a couple of occasions with that exact remote shutter. What I find is that the shutter loses the connection too easily unless you keep on pressing the shutter button. However that was a year or so back so hopefully Bluetooth has improved and Android might be better than iPhone. Maybe you have to be too close for it to be worthwhile.

Where I did find it handy was to take street images while looking away so that the people didn’t realise I was taking the shot.

Starzee, JillyG and RoseCat like this.
  6. FundyBrian

FundyBrian MobiStaff Site Staff MobiSupporter

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Have you determined the maximum effective distance the release will work over Bluetooth?

JillyG likes this.
  7. rizole

rizole In for it!

Device:
    Samsung
    It's working well so far. It's cheep so I imagine it will have a poor connection at a shorter distance than I'd hope for though.
    I've figured out that the smaller button will wake my phone, unlock it and launch the camera app (well, the first app on my home screen so I've put my camera app there) with three clicks so that's useful.
    As my phone detects the button as a Bluetooth keyboard I tried an app that remaps keys. I can get it to do different things and launch apps that way but what I wanted was to get it to do burst shots. After experimenting I've concluded the button only has two states, pressed and not pressed. I'll need a more sophisticated button to get burst mode.

8. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    I found a remote shutter worked well for making 360º panoramas from the top of a 16 foot pole.
    I found that it isn’t easy to determine when the pole is straight up while I’m holding it so I made a bracket to hold a target level. Even so, the pole is at bit bendy at 16 feet. The stitching software seems to handle slight variations of camera position OK.
    When I used it with a regular camera I also had a remote viewfinder.

Last edited: 4 January 2019
    rizole likes this.
  9. rizole

rizole In for it!

Device:
    Samsung
    No, not yet. It's worked perfectly from around 3 or 4 meters, 9 to 12 feet so far.

FundyBrian likes this.
  10. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    There are also apps for remote controlling a phone if you have 2 phones to play with. Then you also have remote viewing. There is some time lag involved so not ideal for “decisive moment” situations.

rizole likes this.
  11. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    It should work at at least 16 feet.

12. rizole

rizole In for it!

Device:
    Samsung
    I would hope so, the worst pair of Bluetooth headphones I've had worked at over twice that distance before having connection issues.

FundyBrian likes this.
  13. terse

terse MobiLifer MobiSupporter

Ted
    Device:
    iPhone 7
    Another use for the bluetooth trigger is to help with surreptitious photos. If you keep the trigger in one hand (in a jacket pocket, say) and wave the phone around in the other, you look less like a photographer lining up a shot and attract less notice.

14. rizole

rizole In for it!

Device:
    Samsung
    Interesting.
    I've been made a few times recently by being too obvious. Do this too often and I could get a reputation....
    20181213_075400.jpg

FundyBrian, RoseCat, ImageArt and 2 others like this.
  15. JillyG

JillyG MobiLifer Mobi Veteran

Jilly
    Device:
    iPhone Xs Max
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Too late, I’d say.:lol:

dscheff, RoseCat and rizole like this.
  16. RoseCat

RoseCat MobiStaff Site Staff MobiSupporter

Catherine
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!
    What Jilly said. :lmao:

17. Starzee

Starzee MobiLurver MobiSupporter

Star Greathouse
    Device:
    iPhone X
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    I had this same experience. I tried two different remote shutters. Both failed me at the crucial moment.

ImageArt likes this.
  18. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    I was just reading that according to the Bluetooth specifications the minimum range should be 32 feet but the maximum range is defined by the strength of the output transmitter. In a tiny device the range would be limited by the physical limitations of the battery power and battery life considerations plus the physical size limit of the transmitter. The effective range for Bluetooth can be up to 200 feet.
    A set of Bluetooth headphones would be a signal receiver rather than sender so they rely on the output power of whatever transmitter is being used to determine the maximum range possible. In a home audio system the transmitter could be a stationary device plugged into AC power so the transmitter could be larger and draw more power than if you received your Bluetooth signal from your mobile phone. The power to send a Bluetooth signal 200 feet would require charging your phone quite often.
    A small battery powered remote control is not likely to have a very powerful transmitter but the minimum distance in the Bluetooth specifications says 32 feet.

dscheff likes this.
  19. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    I bought a push button remote control for my iPhone a couple of years ago. Maybe 3 by now. When I changed my phone the remote would no longer work. I eventually realized it was “linked” to my old phone and would not work with any other device until I used a straightened paper clip to press the reset button behind a tiny hole on the remote. After resetting it I needed to link it to my new phone and everything was good again.

dscheff and ImageArt like this.
  20. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    I’ve found that the biggest difficulty with the remote control is being able to tell whether or not it has worked except by going back to the camera to check if a picture was made. You are too far away from your phone to hear the camera click sound and you always wonder if your remote battery might be getting weak.

The best way to test the range is to turn on the camera’s flash so you can see how far away you can get and still have it work.

For a group photo situation turn on the flash so you can see it working. Outdoors the flash is too weak to have any effect in the picture but is serves to tell you the connection is working. Also, the other people in the group photo will have more confidence the gizmo is working and be able to tell when the picture was made.

If you don’t want the flash turned on another solution is to turn on the 3 second timer. Once triggered the flash will blink a countdown until the picture is made.

The remote won’t work with every camera app.
    It should work with any camera app that can be tripped by pressing the volume button(s) but not all apps have that function.
    In some camera apps the volume button triggering can be turned on or off in the app’s settings. However, some camera apps use the volume-up button and others use volume-down and both may not work.
    You will have to remember which apps work with the remote when you try to use it.

Bluetooth operates in the same band as Wi-Fi and I read that some low cost Bluetooth devices will not operate properly if too close to a strong Wi-Fi signal.

21. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    With the native camera app pressing and holding the remote button will engage Burst Mode and make continuous pictures until you release the button. That's one way to be sure you have at least one picture with everyone’s eyes open.

dscheff likes this.
  22. rizole

rizole In for it!

Device:
    Samsung
    Makes sense but I've had 3 sets of Bluetooth headphones with 3 different ranges, same transmitter. My current set work fine at ranges my previous ones failed at no problem so I suspect the receiver plays it's part too.
    The best test of range I've found is forgetting to take my phone with me whilst walking away. Range is definitely better with a clear line of sight but my current and best set does quite well with walls and floor between it and the phone too.

FundyBrian likes this.
  23. FundyBrian

Brian Townsend
    Device:
    iPhone 8 Plus
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Being farther away from your phone also increases the possibility of someone running off with it.

dscheff and ImageArt like this.
  24. terse

terse MobiLifer MobiSupporter

Ted
    Device:
    iPhone 7
    Me also. But I finally found one that can hold the connection while I'm out shooting. It's called The Claw (no, I don't know why). It costs more than the cheapies, and it uses a rechargeable battery (with charging through a microUSB connector). Here's the web site for info:

https://recordpeak.com/collections/rechargeable-remote

ImageArt and FundyBrian like this.
  25. Starzee

Starzee MobiLurver MobiSupporter

Star Greathouse
    Device:
    iPhone X
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    The link from the “buy here” button isn’t working. It takes me to Amazon, but the product doesn’t show up. I’ll look into it further. It seems I need to buy a new clamp for holding my iPhone on the tripod, too. I can’t seem to locate the one I had. Perhaps I should call my son.....