• > UPDATE Thread < Thanks to all who've DONATED to help with MobiTog's costs, please consider a small regular monthly sum, now possible under the new Donate tab! (NB - If all active MobiMembers Donate just £1/$1 per month it will cover our costs and help with expenditure for updates/improvements) A BIG THANK YOU ALL for your continued generosity & support!
  • PLEASE READ THIS THREAD < Tap for linky - MobiTog still has a few minor updates/improvements to complete... :)

RESULT : TWAC #2 Pixlr (01-14 Dec)

rizole

In for it!
MobiSupporter
Device
Samsung
What are your views on sideloading apps not from an official source? I'm almost sure iphone users can't do it at all (correct me if that's wrong apple peeps) and most android users are reluctant to do so.
Most android users are not tech nerds like I am, I'm all for it.
I don't see a difference between downloading from a non google source for my phone and downloading from a generic software repository for my pc like source forge or download.com.

There are several credible non-soul-sucking Google play alternatives.

sinnerjohn

Smooth Bug Catcher
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
Most android users are not tech nerds like I am, I'm all for it.
I don't see a difference between downloading from a non google source for my phone and downloading from a generic software repository for my pc like source forge or download.com.

There are several credible non-soul-sucking Google play alternatives.
I think most Android users worry that if it isn't from Google its going to infect their phones with a virus. Not true I know but it's hard to convince average Joe.

zenjenny

MobiStaff
Site Staff
Real Name
jen
Device
iPhone 6s Plus
Ohhhh, I’d forgotten what fun this was - not just for the images, but all the banter (some might have thought it was intellectual conversation, but it was banter).

Can't have been on this site then. :rolleyes:
Rizole, JillyG referred to Blake at least once and terse quoted a whole poem by GMH. WHAT ARE YOU ON ABOUT?

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
So, in the dark back passageways of MobiTog Jen zenjenny has kicked over the mouldering corpse of TWAC Pixlr.
So I went to unearth what we erm.......unearthed way back in 2016, it was TWAC2, well remembered Jen.

We had 14 pages of images and chat, some were not impressed ImageArt Ann and juryjone Jerry, others were wow'ed zenjenny and RoseCat. We had poetry from JillyG Jilly and terse Ted, and a very fine winner from deepop David and FundyBrian was confused.
There were scuffles about DE and Jilly was tardy oh and I mentioned the A word :cheeks:
I have to mention rizole and GroovyGouvy's participation too, which brings in most of the Mobi regulars.

Looking at these images and comments it seems, after dusting Pixlr off yesterday, that the app has changed. Well I maybe I'm stupid (don't answer that Jen) but I can't find half of these features in the apps current incarnation.

Thinking on, everyone agreed that TWAC (two week app challenge) was a good idea, we just ran out of cross platform apps that were 'interesting' enough for investigation. i.e VSCO is a great app but it only really provides filters.

Any thoughts about resurrecting TWAC? Or App suggestions?
The original idea was the app would be cross platform so that it could include iphone and Android users. But we could just run with iphone or android if the case was strong enough. I'm big on inclusivity though :)
Loved this mini wrap-up and walk down memory lane! :D I’d love to resurrect TWAC.... was one of my fave *challenges*. Wouldn’t mind a revisit to Pixlr either... :thumbs:

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
Weren’t you around when John started this then Star? It feels like you’re such a long-standing member that it’s hard to believe that you haven’t always been here.:)
I truly can’t remember a time without Starzee Star... :inlove:

zenjenny

MobiStaff
Site Staff
Real Name
jen
Device
iPhone 6s Plus
I truly can’t remember a time without Starzee Star... :inlove:
I distinctly remember Star in grade school, cutting out shapes from her math book, gluing them on to her desk with those little plastic bottles of gluggy paste ? The ones that came with brushes attached to the lid?
*sigh* glory days :inlove:

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
I distinctly remember Star in grade school, cutting out shapes from her math book, gluing them on to her desk with those little plastic bottles of gluggy paste ? The ones that came with brushes attached to the lid?
*sigh* glory days :inlove:
Ah yes...... I believe she used to like to eat the paste too.... :sneaky:

sinnerjohn

Smooth Bug Catcher
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
Either I’ve lost track or I haven participated. Actually I can’t remember using Pixlr, but did a lot with my 5s. Wouldn’t mind out if there are hidden fees to pay or the app is still free. :)
You actually took part in this challenge Gouvy, its from way back. Pixlr is still free, albeit with ads, but the ads are not too intrusive.

Starzee

MobiLurver
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Star Greathouse
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Star, my apologies for not name checking you in the 'hardcore' Mobi group, I knew I'd missed someone!
Weren’t you around when John started this then Star? It feels like you’re such a long-standing member that it’s hard to believe that you haven’t always been here.:)
Star did indeed take part in this TWAC.
I had only been aboard for a few months...I was still testing my wings. I didn't think I was a part of that discussion, I can see myself searching the site frantically trying to figure out what TWAC stood for. (Why do these guys talk in code all the time???) :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Isn’t Pixlr an app that requires a subscription to get more than minimal access to the app? I had the app some time ago but deleted it.
For the purposes of the TWAC I think it would be good to avoid apps that require accounts or subscriptions.

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Isn’t Pixlr an app that requires a subscription to get more than minimal access to the app? I had the app some time ago but deleted it.
For the purposes of the TWAC I think it would be good to avoid apps that require accounts or subscriptions.
No Brian, you can still use Pixlr without taking out a subscription. The subscription version is supposed to have more filters etc and be a super-improved version of the free one.

GroovyGouvy

MobiLifer
Real Name
Gouvy
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
No, checked. Just an ad when/while saving, which is fair. :)

sinnerjohn

Smooth Bug Catcher
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
On Android at least there is no subscription, just a one off fee to remove ads if desired.

zenjenny

MobiStaff
Site Staff
Real Name
jen
Device
iPhone 6s Plus
No Brian, you can still use Pixlr without taking out a subscription. The subscription version is supposed to have more filters etc and be a super-improved version of the free one.
No, checked. Just an ad when/while saving, which is fair. :)
On Android at least there is no subscription, just a one off fee to remove ads if desired.
I might have paid the ad thing years ago and forgotten, but I don’t recall any ads. Never saw anything about subscription.
Recently though (or maybe in the last year) Pixlr has added filter groups that require iap of A$1.49. I purchased a few to support the devs, but there’s more than enough in the free (and/or ad-free) version

zenjenny

MobiStaff
Site Staff
Real Name
jen
Device
iPhone 6s Plus
Who told you about the paste eating????? That was classified!!:mobibabe:
It was classified until you accidentally glued the plastic lid to your forehead and had to be taken to the nurse’s room to have it removed with alcohol swabs. Then the whole school heard about it :D

zenjenny

MobiStaff
Site Staff
Real Name
jen
Device
iPhone 6s Plus
sinnerjohn has been meticulous about accessibility - only [free] and [available on both platforms*] apps.
*and there were only the two platforms** at the time
**within mobitog members

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
Yes, there's an in-app subscription now (Pro or Plus or something) to get more filters, but gods, the thing's got a million filters already. I must have paid to remove the ads way back when because when I reloaded it and tapped Restore Purchases, the ads went away.

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
I don’t know about any subscriptions... you can purchase filters, but I haven’t found the need... there are plenty of free filters to choose from. :thumbs: