ubbyisis' playground and gallery

Calendar time :thumbs:

Busy fixing the calendar for Linus. Also printed out a fridge magnet from a crazy quote I found on Instagram - search for the account inspirationalquoteoftheweek by Ryan Auster if you’re curious. Another quote from that account:

Midnight noise
nothing is louder
than overthinking
after midnight

40568D6E-997E-485A-B38C-A447EB9AAB98.jpeg
1869A6B4-DC84-4C23-A016-6EF71DCF8BC7.jpeg
D388056C-BEEA-4438-83BC-15A23B2AF383.png

testing the PRO RAW on iPhone 12

I can't show you the RAW file I guess. Edited in RAW Power. Looks good, but perhaps it would have been good even without RAW shooting. I'm not sure I want to have my library stuffed with large DNGs

View attachment 162806
I think using RAW is generally pointless unless you're shooting landscapes. On these most up to date cameras you probably won't better the jpg in any case, due to the computational aspect of the processing.

I think using RAW is generally pointless unless you're shooting landscapes. On these most up to date cameras you probably won't better the jpg in any case, due to the computational aspect of the processing.
Thanks John :thumbs: I think I won't use RAW then. Just a lot of extra editing and files that take up too much space.

Thanks John :thumbs: I think I won't use RAW then. Just a lot of extra editing and files that take up too much space.
Unlike John, I don't see RAW as something just useful for landscapes, but he's right that RAW doesn't automatically give you photos that are better than straight out of the camera JPGs.

A RAW capture will have greater dynamic range -- that is, a wider range between the light and dark where it can still capture detail. If you shoot a JPG and find the highlights are blown out (no detail, just pure white), you can shoot again and reduce the exposure so that the highlights aren't overexposed. But when you do that, you may find that the shadow areas are losing their detail and turning to pure black. With a RAW capture, you can capture detail in the highlights without necessarily sacrificing as much of the detail in the shadows.

If you're shooting on a grey day, you'll probably find that the JPG does just fine -- the lights and darks of the scene will likely fall within the range the JPG can capture. If you're out shooting at noon on a bright day with dramatic shadows, you'll probably exceed the range of the JPEG and lose details at one end or the other. (Then again, if you want stark black shadows, the JPG is probably OK.)

Some people also choose to shoot RAW because they don't like something about the automatic JPG processing that their camera does. Some complain about oversharpening, some about heavy-handed noise reduction reducing details (often described as "smearing" or watercolor-like), some object to the way the JPG handles the white balance or certain colors. With a RAW capture, you get to (meaning "have to") make the decisions about those things yourself. Personally, I don't have too many gripes about the out-of-camera JPGs from my iPhone XS as far as color goes, although I do sometimes see signs of sharpening and/or noise reduction problems.

And finally, a RAW shot captures greater color depth (meaning it records finer gradations of color) than a JPG does. The color depth is 12 bits per pixel for ProRaw vs. 8 bits per pixel for JPG, which translates to 4096 steps or shades per pixel vs 256 steps. Since you're likely to eventually save your final image as a JPG, you're going to give up that extra range at some point, but I've found that editing an image in the greater color depth helps prevent things like banding in gradients of color. (I run into this most often in images with lots of blue sky where I'm doing a lot of editing for one reason or another.)

For editing RAW files, I've used both Raw Power and Lightroom Mobile (and a couple of others that aren't worth mentioning). I get better results from Lightroom Mobile (just using the free stuff -- I don't subscribe).

One of the nice things now for you 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max owners is that you can toggle RAW capture on and off in the native camera app, so you don't have to go switching apps -- it can be a spur-of-the-moment decision.

(Sorry, did I give everyone a headache with all this?)

EDIT: As far as I know, Lightroom Mobile hasn't been updated for ProRaw, so I have no idea what would happen if you tried to open one with it.

Last edited:
Unlike John, I don't see RAW as something just useful for landscapes, but he's right that RAW doesn't automatically give you photos that are better than straight out of the camera JPGs.

A RAW capture will have greater dynamic range -- that is, a wider range between the light and dark where it can still capture detail. If you shoot a JPG and find the highlights are blown out (no detail, just pure white), you can shoot again and reduce the exposure so that the highlights aren't overexposed. But when you do that, you may find that the shadow areas are losing their detail and turning to pure black. With a RAW capture, you can capture detail in the highlights without necessarily sacrificing as much of the detail in the shadows.

If you're shooting on a grey day, you'll probably find that the JPG does just fine -- the lights and darks of the scene will likely fall within the range the JPG can capture. If you're out shooting at noon on a bright day with dramatic shadows, you'll probably exceed the range of the JPEG and lose details at one end or the other. (Then again, if you want stark black shadows, the JPG is probably OK.)

Some people also choose to shoot RAW because they don't like something about the automatic JPG processing that their camera does. Some complain about oversharpening, some about heavy-handed noise reduction reducing details (often described as "smearing" or watercolor-like), some object to the way the JPG handles the white balance or certain colors. With a RAW capture, you get to (meaning "have to") make the decisions about those things yourself. Personally, I don't have too many gripes about the out-of-camera JPGs from my iPhone XS as far as color goes, although I do sometimes see signs of sharpening and/or noise reduction problems.

And finally, a RAW shot captures greater color depth (meaning it records finer gradations of color) than a JPG does. The color depth is 12 bits per pixel for ProRaw vs. 8 bits per pixel for JPG, which translates to 4096 steps or shades per pixel vs 256 steps. Since you're likely to eventually save your final image as a JPG, you're going to give up that extra range at some point, but I've found that editing an image in the greater color depth helps prevent things like banding in gradients of color. (I run into this most often in images with lots of blue sky where I'm doing a lot of editing for one reason or another.)

For editing RAW files, I've used both Raw Power and Lightroom Mobile (and a couple of others that aren't worth mentioning). I get better results from Lightroom Mobile (just using the free stuff -- I don't subscribe).

One of the nice things now for you 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max owners is that you can toggle RAW capture on and off in the native camera app, so you don't have to go switching apps -- it can be a spur-of-the-moment decision.

(Sorry, did I give everyone a headache with all this?)

EDIT: As far as I know, Lightroom Mobile hasn't been updated for ProRaw, so I have no idea what would happen if you tried to open one with it.
Great explanation - no headache at all :cool: Big thanks

I found some alleged ProRaw DNGs on the web to download. I was able to load them into the current version of Lightroom Mobile and edit them there. They appeared just as a regular DNG would, so I'm not sure if LR is taking advantage of anything special available in ProRaw or not. I'm running iOS 14.3, so I was able to open and edit them in Photos, also. This was on my 2017 iPad Pro.

I found some alleged ProRaw DNGs on the web to download. I was able to load them into the current version of Lightroom Mobile and edit them there. They appeared just as a regular DNG would, so I'm not sure if LR is taking advantage of anything special available in ProRaw or not. I'm running iOS 14.3, so I was able to open and edit them in Photos, also. This was on my 2017 iPad Pro.
Thanks. I read some threads about this and it seems Lightroom Mobile don't have specific support for ProRaw yet.

Thanks. I read some threads about this and it seems Lightroom Mobile don't have specific support for ProRaw yet.
Now I've read even more on ProRaw on the Halide blog and the Darkroom blog

I also just remembered sinnerjohn just started a RAW thread. So perhaps I've messed things up by discussing it here :rolleyes:

Here's what I read:

And:

I also find the Apple apps trend interesting. For ex Darkroom will be universal for Mac, both M1 and Intel-based, for iPads and iPhones. I guess this will happen with many apps. What does this mean for MobiTog? If you edit a photo with Darkroom on your Mac it can not be posted on MobiTog, although the app is the same :eek:

Now I've read even more on ProRaw on the Halide blog and the Darkroom blog

I also just remembered sinnerjohn just started a RAW thread. So perhaps I've messed things up by discussing it here :rolleyes:

Here's what I read:

And:

I also find the Apple apps trend interesting. For ex Darkroom will be universal for Mac, both M1 and Intel-based, for iPads and iPhones. I guess this will happen with many apps. What does this mean for MobiTog? If you edit a photo with Darkroom on your Mac it can not be posted on MobiTog, although the app is the same :eek:
I think on Mobitog, wherever you want to discuss something is fine. Anyone that's interested will find it :thumbs:

Surely the same applies to Lightroom, mobile and Desktop versions. Its just an honour thing I guess that you are using mobile maybe?
Or is it more complicated than that?

p.s. still don't think its worth using RAW for most shots ;)

I think on Mobitog, wherever you want to discuss something is fine. Anyone that's interested will find it :thumbs:

Surely the same applies to Lightroom, mobile and Desktop versions. Its just an honour thing I guess that you are using mobile maybe?
Or is it more complicated than that?

p.s. still don't think its worth using RAW for most shots ;)
A funny thing is that I've started to read MobiTog discussions almost exclusively on my desktop, to save my old eyes :D

A funny thing is that I've started to read MobiTog discussions almost exclusively on my desktop, to save my old eyes :D
To be honest I hardly ever look at Mobitog on my mobile, again almost exclusively on desktop. The majority of images I upload also come via desktop, albeit taken and edited on mobile.
It would be an interesting poll to find out how people use Mobitog I think.

For half an hour we could see the moon and the stars. Then the clouds came back

New moon. Strange is that I just took a “snapshot” without doing anything special. I think the moon turned out very nicely with the clouds underneath. I immediately tried to take more shots, but I just got grainy blurry pics.

By the way we heard owls howling in the darkness as we admired the sky. Magical.

Native cam iPhone12 Pro Max - no edits

ED15477F-5551-40C5-A5F9-60554C6A8BCA.jpeg

Just bragging - this is my best calendar this far I think :thumbs: :D

Apps used: tons of them, mainly Snapseed, Photoroom, Over and I used the funny little app Photofunia for adding the finished square photos into calendar templates

It’s an absolutely lovely calendar. I did as you suggested and put together a calendar for Nicola with photos from all of the things we‘ve done over the years - Disneyland Paris, Center Parcs, lots of cafe photos etc.

It’s an absolutely lovely calendar. I did as you suggested and put together a calendar for Nicola with photos from all of the things we‘ve done over the years - Disneyland Paris, Center Parcs, lots of cafe photos etc.
It's been even more joyful working with it this year. I think it's a weird positive effect of the C shit... I'm sure Nicola is going to love her Calendar :inlove:

Just bragging - this is my best calendar this far I think :thumbs: :D

Apps used: tons of them, mainly Snapseed, Photoroom, Over and I used the funny little app Photofunia for adding the finished square photos into calendar templates

That is beautiful! I make a calendar every year, too.

Back
Top Bottom